Roasted Cabbage and Potatoes in the CrockPot

Roasting Cabbage and Potatoes in the crockpot slow cooker is a great way to make this classic St. Patrick's day side dish for your dinner on March 17!

 I like to cook my corned beef separately from the cabbage and potatoes so everything doesn't taste the same!



Day 76.

Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day! Have some green soup, eat some corned beef, and cozy up to a big plate full of roasted cabbage, potatoes, and garlic.

Made lovingly in the appliance that takes a licking and keeps on ticking: The CrockPot.

It's no secret to my family that I don't like corned beef. I really, really, really, really don't like it. 
I'll tolerate it out of respect to whomever made it, but other than that time I made it in January, I haven't ever cooked it just to cook it.

And I married an Irish Man.

And I don't like boiled vegetables. I don't like the texture, the smell, the color... AND! the thought of eating vegetables that were cooked with a meat that I don't like so then the vegetables taste like that meat...

ick.
ugh.

I should probably stop here, but trust me in that I could seriously go on forever.

So, I will be eating these yummy veggies tomorrow.
probably out in the backyard by myself now that I have insulted my whole family...



The Ingredients.

1 small head of cabbage
12 to 14 colorful baby potatoes
10 to 12 whole cloves of garlic (approx a whole head)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper



The Directions.


--wash vegetables
--cut potatoes into 1 inch chunks (I didn't peel them)
--cut cabbage into wedges--don't worry about separating the leaves
--throw veggies into the crockpot with the whole garlic cloves
--add olive oil, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar


--toss with hands to coat thoroughly.


DO NOT ADD WATER.


cook on high for 3 hours or low for 4 to 6 hours.


the vegetables are done when the potatoes reach desired tenderness.


the cabbage will get a little carmelized and crispy around the edges where they touch the crock walls. That's okay--it tastes good!




The Verdict.

I loved the combination of the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic. Adam loved it, and one kid attempted a potato bite for me.


I kind of forgot to cook anything else.


So we ate chicken and rice soup from a can.


Roasting Cabbage and Potatoes in the crockpot slow cooker is a great way to make this classic St. Patrick's day side dish for your dinner on March 17! I like to cook my corned beef separately from the cabbage and potatoes so everything doesn't taste the same!

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at March 16, 2016

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Love this blog!

    I linked you in my post today about sites I am digging this week.

    http://free2befrugal.blogspot.com/2008/03/sunday-link-love_16.html

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/16/2008

    Really enjoy your blog!!
    I like how you show the ingredients all layed out & the finished dish :) So many new dishes I get to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3/16/2008

    Hello crockpotlady: This sounds great to me....expecially for eating in the garden,peacefully. Aahhh. Yum. I love your breezy communications.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I like corned beef once in a while and I'm dutch! I also would love to eat in the garden but it's a little too cold here yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3/16/2008

    Does this way of cooking cabbage still stink up the entire house?? If so, I can't try it. I hate the smell of cooked cabbage. But, it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like corned beef either. But this has to be wonderful with all that garlic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yea!! this looks SO good. I know what's for dinner tonight (again, thanks to you!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this recipe! It is so easy, yet tasty. This is what
    I do to avoid stinking up the whole house with cabbage smell: I set the crockpot outside on the deck.
    We have an outlet out there, but you could probably use an extension cord.

    I am taking these veggies to a potluck tomorrow.
    I am sure everyone will be delighted and then amazed at how something so yummy could be such a breeze to prepare! Rock on, Crockpotlady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7/30/2008

    I tried this recipe and it was delicious!! I didn't have balasamic vinegar though so I just used regular vinegar and although it most likely didn't give it the same flavor was still good. I was also thinking you could probably put some other veggies in the pot as well such as carrots and it will be quite tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this is an old post but my daughter made this and it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2/17/2009

    I LOVE this blog! I have been cooking everything on this blog since I found it! My crock is working overtime!
    Question though-I am dieting-Is there anything I could sub for the 1/4c olive oil? (That's low cal, low fat?) Maybe fake butter?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Merideth,

    you could do the fat free butter sub, or you could probably just go down to 1 tablespoon of olive oil. The balsamic vinegar provides moisture, and the veggies will sweat and provide even more. 1/4 cup olive oil sounds like an awful lot to me now.

    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  13. We tried this a couple nights ago. Hubby's birthday is on St. Patrick's day, but we are vegetarians so he always misses out on the corned beef and cabbage. I've never tried it personally.

    I must say I was rather nervous looking at that pot of veggies. I was even more nervous when I started smelling it. I'm so glad that I put the crockpot in the laundry room, although next time it will be going outside!

    This was delicious!! I was pleasantly surprized and we'll definitely be making this again. My 3 year old even ate the cabbage, and asked for more!

    Thanks for the recipe! It is so refreshing to find vegetarian crockpot meals, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am currently making the roasted cabbage and potatoes. It has at least 2 hours to go and I smell the garlic. I enjoy following your blog and have tried several of the recipes. The first thing I made was the crab dip which was a hit at my daughter's sr. recital in college and again several weeks later at a family Christmas gathering. I have the Hamilton Beach 3 pot slow cooker. This has worked out well since all my children are grown and gone from the house since April 2010. Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. made this tonight and my hubby LOVED it! it was really yummy. i added a few baby carrots and leeks, and used the equivalent in jarred minced garlic since thats what i had. definitely a keeper. and it made A LOT which is great cuz my hubby will eat it all week and i wont have to cook :) next time he wants me to make it with red cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is exactly what I am looking for. Quick question.....do the instructions mean cook it for 3 hours on high and then 4-6 hours on low. Or can I cook it for 3 hours on high or 4-6 on low. Sorry for such a silly question....but I'm a newbie :) Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Melissa, it's one or the other. I'll put in the word "or" though! it's a bit misleading.

    --steph

    ReplyDelete
  18. jaimee3/15/2012

    Made this tonight and it was delish. I cooked for 4 hours on low and it was perfect. My husband normally doesn't eat cabbage, but this one he loved!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this tonight and added in half a smoked sausage and an onion. It was so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous3/08/2013

    I don't know where to begin to deconstruct this recipe. Maybe cook only the cabbage and some onion and carrot in 1 C of chicken broth?

    The combination of the potatoes and the cabbage in the same pot was horrible. I followed this recipe as prescribed and it was unpalatable and unpleasant. Maybe roast the potatoes with oil and salt and serve separately? Cook the cabbage in the slow cooker separately?

    No offense, but this is not a keeper in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can i add vegetable stock to this recipe? I am doing red potatoes, carrots, garlic cloves, a little read onion, and cabbage. I feel like it will dry out without any liquid.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there,

    you certainly can, but I just made this on St Patricks day with a head of cabbage, a cup or so of baby carrots and 4 lbs red potatoes and there was a bunch of accumulated liquid in the pot after cooking. The veggies release a lot of moisture all on their own.

    I hope this helps a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made this tonight, and my partner, who is not a fan of cabbage, asked if we could put this into our rotation. We didn't have enough potatoes, so I supplemented with baby carrots. All of the veggies and garlic were from our local farmer's market. It was delicious. And so simple. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made this the other day. I added a 1 tsp of garam masala and 1/2 tsp of tumeric for an Indian flare. Very good and seasonings were not overpowering. A new family favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds great and although I am a 30 year old African American woman I must try this dish for Thanksgiving giving the fact I am cookin the whole meal for the second year in a row. I like to throw a duzzie in on my family and blend our traditional Thanksgiving dinner with other ethnicities. I am so excited and will be sending a pic of the outcome!!!THANKS CROCKPOT LADY YOU ARE AWESOME AND HAVE SOME AWESOME IDEAS!!!! CANT WAIT TO THROW THIS IN THE POT AND LET IT COOK WHILE PREPARING THE CAKES & PIES!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have to say it was a sucess!!!! My sister has always hated cabbage but she loved these it was such a great dish I was requested and demanded to make them for Christmas and New Years.

    I used smoked turkey tails, balstic vinegar, sugar, fresh grinded sea salt, fresh grinded peppercorn, and a tablespoon of vinegar,and instead of garlic I used jalapeno peppers, and a bag of frozen season blend (onions,bell pepper, carrots, yellow bellpepper). THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I put this on at about 1230 or 1am...woke about 4am and stirred...by 730 this am it was DONE!!! And sooooo good!!! Oh I added onions....I like onions in EVERYTHING! THANK YOU for sharing....I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. We love this recipe and cook it every year for St. Patty's Day. Last year I made two kinds and was scolded for trying something new. Your recipe is wonderful and makes our holiday yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amy nutritional information for this dish?

    ReplyDelete
  30. You never said what size slow cooker you used or how many the recipe feeds I am going to make it as it sounds really good

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Sandra, you're right I didn't! Thank you for letting me know! I need to go back and update my older recipes.

    This will feed about 8 people as a side dish, or about 5 if it's your main course. I used a 6-quart slow cooker.

    have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for responding I thought that maybe it sounded like it would be a 6 quart that seems to be the problem with some slow cooker recipes, they make us guess on what size, but if they include the servings, we can figure it out. I have many slow cookers and I use them a lot. Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  33. i know this totally defeats the purpose, but if i'm using my one slow cooker to make corned beef, any thoughts on how to roast these in an oven? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's okay, Beth. I won't hold it against you. ;-)
    400 degrees --- check and stir after 15 minutes. They will probably take about 30 minutes. The cabbage will cook faster than the potatoes, so make sure the potato chunks are bite-sized. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm happy to have found your site and this recipe. Sounds fabulous and I will get ingredients, including carrots and onion when I shop next time. I'm vegetarian and this is a welcome change from the usual 1,001 ways to fix mac'n'cheese! (I'm sick of mac'n'cheese!) Thanks for an appetizing alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Would this work with regular Russet potatoes cut into chunks?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Stephanie, yes, absolutely!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Made this tonight, SO YUMMY! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. After reading some of the other comments, I just could not bring myself to do this. The photo does not make the dish look appetizing at all. I put quartered potatoes, quartered onions, and cabbage wedges in a crock pot in that order. I put about two tsp of minced garlic over the onions before adding the cabbage. Then I seasoned with salt and pepper, and poured chicken broth over the veggies until the liquid reached the top of the potatoes. I let that go on high for four hours. They tasted great! I'm sort of confused by others who posted they can't stand the smell of cabbage cooking. I think it smells great! Just me. I served this with the bourbon corned beef and it was simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete