CrockPot Creamy Avocado Chipotle Soup


Day 75.


Green soup! St. Patrick's is Monday, and if corned beef and cabbage aren't your favorite, this soup would be a great alternative for your table. It would pair perfectly with pitcher of green beer. Or a margarita.


The Ingredients.
--4 ripe avocados
--1 T lime juice
--1 T fresh cilantro leaves
--1 cup fat free sour cream (or full-of-fat; your choice)
--1/2 t kosher salt
--1/2 t -1 t chipotle chili powder
--1/2 t smoked paprika
--4 cups chicken broth
--3/4 of a yellow onion


The Directions.

--dice onion
--put into the crockpot and cover with the broth
--cook on low 8 hours, or on high for 4-6. The onion should be well-cooked before adding other ingredients.

1 hour before eating:

blend avocado, sour cream, lime juice, chipotle powder, cilantro leaves and salt in a food processor or blender

stir avocado mixture into the crockpot. It will be a bit lumpy until everything melts together--don't worry.

Heat on low for another hour, or on high for 30-40 minutes.
Taste. I needed to add more chipotle powder and salt.

Ladle into 4 bowls, garnish with a dollop of sourcream (full-fat would definitely be better here) and a few cilantro leaves.


The Verdict.

This was a pleasant, creamy soup. It was not knock-your-socks-off fabulous the way I wanted it to be.

I think I was scared to go crazy with the chipotle, so I under-seasoned. I'd recommend tasting with a clean palate (what does that mean? I should have stopped eating chips and salsa?) and adjusting the seasoning accordingly.

I had the leftovers for lunch the next day, and it was smooth and tasty.

I didn't even try to offer it to the kids.
Or? You could always Eat corned beef.

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at March 15, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. This soup sounds great. I was wondering if you use the same crockpot each day or a rotation of crockpots. I probably use mine about once a week, but wasn't sure if it is possible to overuse a crockpot and if that would effect cooking times down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jared,

    I have a 6qt oval Rival Smart Pot and a 1.5qt mini without a label (but I've heard it's probably a Rival) that I use mostly for dips and for desserts.

    I am interested in seeing how long they both last with this experiment. So far, so good, and they are both "used"---the large one I've had for about 2 yrs with 1-2 times a week use and the mini 3 years with use approximately once a month.

    xxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love avocados!! Looks like a great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this alot, I added a bit more lime juice to mine after I put it in a bowl! My bowl of leftover soup did not re-heat well, I think the sourcream didnt agree with the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i made this and did not look like your picture. was very thick. the taste was okay, we just couldnt get past the texture. so we only had a couple spoonfulls. luckily, i only made a half batch and had an entire crockpot of your roasted cabbage :) however, i really liked the blended concoction and think it would taste great as a topper for your salsa/blackbean/chicken meal (which i am making again tomorrow, yay!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brad T7/28/2012

    I made this today and it was fantastic. I used a chipotle pepper and a spoonful of the sauce in lieu of the powder. This woud be good if you threw in a couple of chicken breasts while the onions were cooking down... taking them out and shredding them before tossing them in at the end. It would also be good with some shrimp tossed in just long enough to cook them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm gonna try this today. My hubby said he thought dairy products didn't do well in a crock pot, but I looked around, and it seems that adding the broth and keeping the heat low will prevent the dairy from curdling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The verdict is in: this soup is awesome.

    ReplyDelete