CrockPot Honey and Cinnamon Glazed Carrots

Originally posted in 2008, during my one-year slow cooking challenge, these honey and cinnamon glazed carrots have been enjoyed dozens of times by my family and thousands of times by readers all over the world.


I forget about them during the year and only seem to remember to make them during a holiday dinner but these carrots are so tasty you will want to make them no matter the occasion: Easter, Thanksgiving, Wednesday, etc. :-) 


Cinnamon Glazed Carrots -- an excellent side dish made with the crockpot slow cooker

mmmm. These taste like candy. Eleisia (link removed, the site isn't alive anymore) posted this recipe a few weeks ago during Slow Cooker Thursday and I knew right away that I needed to try it. 

I added cinnamon and omitted much of the ginger because the last time I used ginger, I ended up having to eat the whole dish myself. 


These are the ingredients you need to make cinnamon glazed carrots in the crockpot slow cooker.


The Ingredients.

serves 6
  • 4 cups of baby carrots (or fresh carrots, peeled and chopped in 2-inch chunks)
  • 1/2 cup of orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper


The Directions.


Use a 4-quart slow cooker.

I threw everything in together and cooked on high for 4 hours. When the time was up, I stirred to distribute the spices.

Very easy. If you have a longer slot of time to fill, cook on low--checking at about 6 hours. I like my carrots al dente, without any mush---but I know a lot of people like them softer.


The Verdict.

These were perfectly cooked and the flavor was fantastic. There was a hint of sweetness without being too sicky sweet.

The kids gobbled them up eagerly.

This would be a great take-a-long to a family dinner, or to serve with a holiday meal.

Thank you, Eleisia!


Other fantastic vegetable side dishes you should make in your slow cooker:

  1. garlic baked potatoes
  2. sweet potatoes with chili, cumin, and lime
  3. winter roasted vegetables
  4. creamed corn (this is light; not overly gloppy)
  5. orange glazed beets
  6. stewed tomatoes (these are really good, don't be scared)


Fantastic side dish for your Holiday table. Cinnamon and honey mixed with butter create a lovely sauce for cooked carrots. Pairs nicely with ham and mashed potatoes. This recipe is from ayearofslowcooking.com


Thanksgiving Slow Cooker

Thanksgiving Slow Cooker

32 included recipes, a Thanksgiving Timeline Cheatsheet, a 30-Minute “Company’s Coming” Cleaning Guide
Get my ebook!



Honey and Cinnamon Carrots

Honey and Cinnamon Carrots

Yield: 6
Author: Stephanie O'Dea AYearofSlowCooking.com
Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 4 HourTotal time: 4 H & 15 M
cinnamon glazed carrots crockpot slow cooker recipe

Ingredients

  • 4 cups of baby carrots (or fresh carrots, peeled and chopped in 2-inch chunks)
  • 1/2 cup of orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Instructions

  1. Use a quart slow cooker
  2. I threw everything in together and cooked on high for 4 hours.
  3.  When the time was up, I stirred to distribute the spices.


Do you love this recipe?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at March 29, 2017

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this recipe

  1. Yummy. These sound perfect for a ham dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this place is a Crock-Pot-O-Rama! (feel free to use that.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, those look great, I may have to invest in a second, smaller crockpot for dishes like this. I only have the ginourmous one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7/09/2008

    Did you know you can brown beef in the crockpot? I put the beef in an leave it go, stirring occasionally until it is all browned then I freexe it and use it later. Also, I saw the recipe for crockpot Gumbo, any ideas for crockpot Jambalaya?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are yummy too! Although, I did make them with the ginger, but next time, I will be omitting most of it as well! But still, very good! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are amazing. I ate them on top of a bed of lettuce and drizzled the juice on top as dressing.

    Sooooooooooo good!

    I love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4/12/2009

    on a search for crockpot carrots, after realizing i was out of brown sugar this easter morning, i found your site. made these to go with my beef brisket and they were yummy! rarely do i follow a recipe, but i did this time. i measured stuff?!? my husband, the anti-vegetable, even liked them.

    i have 3 crockpots (and a little dipper), which most people think is crazy, but now i know i am not alone! i need to read through your summer posts for some ideas. i tend to hit a stone(ware) wall during the hot weather which leads to a lot of grilled hamburgers. anyway, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taylor in Texas12/14/2009

    Okay, I tried these this weekend, and six hours on low - seven hours actually - was not nearly enough...very unfortunate, as I had a potluck, which I was late for because I had to take the carrots out of the crockpot, put them in a pot on the stove, and boil them on high with additional water for 15 minutes before they even approached softness. I thought it was my crockpot, but it works fine - the baby carrots simply did not cook fast enough. Yikes! Definitely recommend a full 8-10 cooking on these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11/26/2010

    Made these as a last minute addition to Thanksgiving dinner. Well OK, it was a decision made in the morning. They were Wonderful! My new go to veggie dish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I decided to throw these in the crock pot last night on low to cook overnight. I like my carrots mushy, and after 9 hours on low they have just started to soften up. They taste great (I left out the ginger)! Now I just have to wait for them to reach that perfect texture. If you like them mushy definitely give them at least 10 hours. I cooked them ahead of time (don't need them until this afternoon), so I could be sure I'd get the texture right. I'm glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous! Yum! They got done a little early and I'm afraid I'm going eat them all before dinner!

    ReplyDelete