CrockPot Stewed Tomatoes


Day 221.

A hundred million years ago before we had children, Adam and I went to a really fancy restaurant and they served us stewed tomatoes as a side dish. Being the classy folk we are, we immediately began poking fun at how we were spending a bunch of money on canned tomatoes. Then we started in on baby animal hearts.

we're just lovely people, I tell you...

but! Then we tasted them. The tomatoes were delicious. Warm, flavorful, and a bit spicy.

The Ingredients.

--2 cans of whole plum tomatoes (28 oz cans), drained (I used the kind that had basil in them already)
--1/4 t ground black pepper
--1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
--5 T butter, sliced

The Directions.

I used a 4qt round crockpot for this dish. If you only have a huge crockpot, keep an eye on it so the tomatoes don't burn, or double the recipe.

Drain the tomatoes--use a strainer--you don't need any of the can liquid. Plop the tomatoes into the crockpot. Sprinkle on the ground black pepper. Add the Parmesan cheese. Slice your butter into thin squares, and dot them over the top of the cheese.

Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or until cheese is bubbly and is beginning to brown.

The Verdict.

so so good. I really liked these, a lot. I'm not a big tomato eater; I take them out of sandwiches usually,and I don't use ketchup on french fries. I am surprised, REALLY surprised, how much I like tomatoes this way.

I ate them for dinner, instead of as a side dish.

The kids didn't come close to attempting a bite. I blame the baby animal heart conversation.

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at August 08, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Anonymous8/08/2008

    This is an interesting side dish. I've never heard of a restaurant serving them or cooking them in a crock-pot for that matter. They look delicious. Do you think they would work with regular medium-sized tomatoes? We have a bunch from our garden and hardly anyone in my house eats tomatoes anyway. I just want to try it in the crock-pot for the hell of it. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious. I may have to try these, maybe add some goat cheese? They would be even better with fresh tomatoes I think Joanna.

    Steph, I wanted to share my winner recipe from yesterday with you. I was inspired by you to reach a bit into my pantry. I often take a 2lb pork roast and cook it in the crock pot with a few cans of green chiles and some water. I bought beef on sale though and wanted to see if I could dress it up a bit. So I put in a large, mostly drained can of pinto beans (my fave but black would work great), put the frozen 1 1/2lb beef roast on top, a can of beef broth (next time I will use a little less liquid), and a can of green chiles. I cooked it on high for 2 hours then low for about 4 1/2 more. I took out the meat, shredded it a bit (easy as it fell apart) and removed some of the fat. I then drained a bit of the liquid and semi mashed the beans to thicken the liquid. I put a big scoop of beans in a bowl with some meat and served with a few corn tortillas. I set out some sour cream and cheese. Hubby ate it without the tortillas and loved it, but I am a Southwestern girl so....

    It wasn't very spicy but had great chile flavor. I think it is something kids would like and so so easy. It is also great for burritos the next day. This would serve 4 hungry adults for sure, and easy to make for several people.
    Thanks for inspiring me to reach out a bit. Love Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joanna,

    yup, you could use fresh tomatoes, but I would probably skin them or they'll get that weird light orange-y look and the skin will have a different texture. they'll taste great, though!

    Stacy,

    yay! what a fantastic sounding dinner; thank you so much for posting it!

    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8/08/2008

    love this idea for using tomatoes...now if my crop yet on the vine of exactly twelve green tomatos would turn into red tomatos, I could give it a try. thanx for your brains and crock-up fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First let me say, I am enjoying reading your blog since I found it a month ago... I have yet to try one of your recipes, but have full intentions of doing so when the BBQ season is over, and Fall sets in... 8-)
    I have you listed in my list of blogs I watch, but on my list your blog never seems to update itself when you post something new!?! I have deleted, recopied new url, pasted and saved it in my list several times now... and still is shows a post from 5 months ago...?... Very weird!!!
    Keep up the great stuff!
    Oh! And I loved the post about your feet! 8-)
    And the post about crock-pot safety and the unexpected!
    Thanks for all you do! 8-)
    Happy crock-potting to you! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally...something wonderful to make with all the tomatoes in my garden! I too don't love tomatoes. Can't wait to try this. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8/08/2008

    how much could i cut back on the butter? sounds awesome but i would want to keep it semi-healthy. and by the way, what in the world is a "DH" that veronica keeps talking about? thats confusing the hech out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A friend told me about this site today--what an awesome idea! I would love to use my crockpot more, but have never found a lot of recipes I love--it has to be something I can throw together really fast in the morning before work because I don't have a second to spare. Anyway, I'm so glad I found it and plan to poke around and find some great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8/08/2008

    hey steph,

    I ended up make these babies this afternoon. I just ate some when i got home from work and they were delicious. I am shocked that I got so much enjoyment out of eating tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8/09/2008

    What are you going to blog about next year? Any challenges? CR

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8/09/2008

    thanks veronica! i feel so much more in the loop now! lol. i woulda never figured that out. now if steph could just tell me how far i can cut back on the butter and have it still taste good.....
    :) thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi anon,

    I have not idea! This was the first and only time that I made them, and the original recipe called for an entire stick of butter! Use whatever amount you feel comfortable with. It will either taste good, or it won't... :-)
    xxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  13. My grandmother used to serve us stewed tomatoes as a side dish all of the time. I forgot how good they were!

    ReplyDelete
  14. obx_fisher8/21/2012

    Woot! That AH-HA moment has just slapped me in the face! This is what to do with my friend "The Tomato Whisper's" home grown organic tomatoes prior to canning for some variety and slow quickness. Digging your blog SO much. Been on it most of the day. Sshhhh......don't tell!!

    ReplyDelete