Sundried Tomato Slow Cooker Dip

New Year's Sundried Tomato crockpot dip
Day 2.

We were home sick for New Year's Eve. Instead of feeling horribly sorry for ourselves, we bunkered down with a Victoria Mars dvd and ate New Years Food. Oh! And there was Boggle!
Try to contain your jealousy.

New Years Food is food that you are eating only because you know that you are going to start dieting and exercising the very next day.

We happened to have a jar of sundried tomatoes and a new block of cream cheese in the fridge. I thought to myself: "hey, I like sundried tomatoes. I like cream cheese," (I'm a big thinker). So I compiled the two into the very bestest dip ever.


I preheated our little 1.5 quart slow cooker that I scored for $4.95 at Walmart on Black Friday a few years ago.
I chopped up the jar of sundried tomatoes the vitamix. not just for kick-ass margaritas

and plunked them on top of the cream cheese and kept it on high for 2 hours. After a quick stir, the dip was done.


It was amazing. Even better than you would imagine. I should patent this or something and sell it for bazillions.


We ate it with tortilla chips because we happen to be a gluten-free family, but I imagine it would taste amazing on some sourdough.
It was so good that when the kids asked "How long 'till New Years?" at 7:15, Adam and I both replied without thinking, "10 minutes," and set the clocks ahead.
Just so we could eat it all ourselves.


other dips I've made that you might really like:

Super Duper Garlic Dip
Artichoke Dip
White Bean and Pesto Spread
Bean Dip

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at January 02, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. That sounds great and you're brave to make up your own stuff. Mine never turns out, so I'm staying tuned here to try your successes. I need a little crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you totally do, stephanie! It is so handy to have when entertaining, or when you want a little bit of something. Walmart. xoxo--steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/02/2008

    We want to come over and eat your tomato dip!!!
    Your site looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know, anything made with a block of cream cheese totally rocks in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, looks like another I have to try!! I got that same little crockpot FREE when I bought a roaster oven before Thanksgiving. We're going to friends for Super Bowl, so this might be just the thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, and I'm making this tonight too. I am throwing in some artichoke hearts and spinach. It smells so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7/18/2008

    I went and bought one of the small pots just to make this dip.... It is wonderful. My son and I are eating it with begal chips..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stephanie!

    Your site made me want to go out and buy a crockpot- so I did! I tried the Korean ribs recipe and my fiance and I loved them so much that they are now a permanent part of my recipe book. Amazing!

    This dip looks so great too! I was wondering, if I double the recipe, how long should I cook it for? Could I use low fat cream cheese or would the consistency change it?

    Thanks!

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ashley,

    I've successfully used lower-in-fat cream cheese in the crockpot. It should be fine.

    If you're going to double, I'd still cook it the same amount of time, and check. Then check every 30 minutes or so.

    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about a dip with no dairy for those of us with dairy (and corn :-() allergies as well?

    ReplyDelete
  11. *SIGH* I tried this dip recipe and it was a DISASTER. I even bought a 1.5 quart mini crockpot/slowcooker for this recipe. I chopped up a bag of sundried tomatoes and put them on top of a block of cream cheese. I put the cooker on high and came back 2 hours later. I stirred and it was clumped into a super ball of pinkness with chunks of red. It burned pretty badly and believe me when I say it tasted BAD :( grr.

    So, Steph, did you use the jar of sundried tomatoes in "olive oil"? And did you dump the whole jar WITH the olive oil into the mini cooker? I think that may have been my dipping flaw. Bcuz I just used a bag of sundried tomatoes. I can't believe I messed this super easy recipe up. I thought I read the directions on the blog. I feel like a complete dork. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry, Crickette. I've totally done the same thing---thought I read something when I'm at the store...
    ugh.
    yup, my sundried tomatoes were packed in oil in the jar.
    I'm sure you could use reconstituted dried tomatoes, but there isn't enough moisture for them to get soft and squishy on their own.

    I'm so sorry.
    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous2/24/2009

    Will this fit in the mini dipper (the fondue crock)? Also, while I'm posting, when you say you can use a smaller oven-safe dish inside a bigger crock pot, do you just put it straight in without any water on the outside (unless otherwise specified)? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Michelle,

    I think you should use about 3/4 of the block of cream cheese and the drained and chopped tomatoes in the Little Dipper. A whole block of cream cheese will fit in it (I've tried), but I'm not sure how it will fit with the tomatoes.

    For the oven-safe dish, yes. Put it directly into your stoneware with no water, and heat both up together.

    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  15. I DID IT!! I DID IT!!! SUCCESS I TELL YOU!!! SUCCESS!!! I RE-DID the Sundried Tomato CrockPot Dip and it turned out great. This time I bought the Sundried tomatoes in a jar of olive oil. THIS IS KEY for the recipe to work out. DO NOT buy the reqular sundried tomatoes in a bag w/out the oil. Then I basically eye balled the amount of tomatoes to chop up and put them on TOP of the block of cream cheese in my mini crockpot. I put the dip on High for about 20 minutes. Bcuz my mini-cooker is an over achiever feels he needs to cook much faster than all the other "slow" cookers I didn't need to heat the dip for 2 hrs. I've named him Gonzo (anyways...I'm sure that's too much information). Moving on. I stirred and then added more chopped tomatoes AND added some of the olive oil from the jar they came in and stirred. I place on low for 20 more minutes and stirred again and added more olive oil bcuz the dip was looking a tad dry and VOILA! I was the master of Sundried Tomato Dip! Really. I was. All the boys ate it and loved it with tortilla chips. And they carried me on their shoulders chanting "Crickette is the master of Sundried Tomato Dip!" And guess what else. This dip tastes great with Ranch flavored Ruffles or Lays. THE END

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAY Crickette!!!!

    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just have to say I love Crickette's enthusiasm. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gingerfly9/20/2011

    This isn't in the index or listed under dips! I remembered it existing, but couldn't find it. Google had to find it for me :-) But, having found it, I'll be making it for a snack day at work tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have your beef sandwiches in the crock pot right now....I'd love to make this dip, but don't have a smaller crock pot. Could I just bake it in the oven?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just discovered your blog... looks like just what I need for a new job! I am interested in Jennifer's question... I don't have a small crock... can this be baked?

    ReplyDelete