CrockPot White Bean and Pesto Spread


Day 190.

Yay! Another
Little Dipper recipe!

This is such a yummy spread, and it is so easy it practically makes itself.
It must eat itself, too, because I have no idea where it went. I made a batch, took a picture, and then it disappeared.

Keep the ingredients on hand for last-minute company. They will keep in your pantry forever, and you will thank me when your guests eyeballs roll back in glee.

The Ingredients.


- 1 cup of drained and rinsed white beans (cannelloni, white kidney)
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto


The Directions.


After draining and rinsing the beans, scoop out one cup. Smash them. I used my Pampered Chef chopper thingy, but you could squeeze them in a zipper bag or use a tiny food processor, too.


Mix the smashed beans with a 1/4 cup of pesto.
Add mixture to the Little Dipper, close it up, and plug it in.

There isn't a heat setting on a Little Dipper, you just plug it in. I cooked our dip for about 45 minutes, and it was warm and gooey.


Serve with pita chips, tortilla chips, or crustini.

I made crustini out of leftover bread that I had made for the
french dip sandwiches. It was easy--I dipped the pieces in a bit of olive oil, then sprinkled with salt and pepper. I baked them in the oven at 400 degrees until the bottoms were toasty, then broiled until the tops were toasty, too.

The Verdict.


These were great. I liked how the beans soaked up the oil from the pesto, and the flavor was pronounced, but mild at the same time. All four of us enjoyed this snack.

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at July 08, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks really good. and i could take it for book club! healthy too. i love canelloni beans. they are almost creamy in consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, tell the truth. Are you going to be sitting on your couch tomorrow? I'm just curious what one does as they watch themselves on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sent you a gift to your gmail email account attached to this and hope you'll look at it, and give me your opinion. Thanks! Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks really good! I would also take that to book club! Some of the girls are vegetarians, and one is a chef, so I like to bring things that are unique and yummy!

    Also, I wanted to let you know that I made your tortilla soup the other day and it was fantastic! An old roommate of mine used to make something like that in the crock pot, but hers used canned chicken which kind of tasted like tuna to me! Your recipe was a hit with my husband too, and he doesn't even like soup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO excited to watch your segment on RR tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Stephanie, I've tagged your blog! You can find details (and the 'tagged' image) on my blog at http://texaskrisstamps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for the little dipper. I need to get me one of those.
    I made some chilled Borscht in my crockpot this weekend. It turned out pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't checked in for a while and am glad to see you are still cookin'! (No pun intended.)

    Now I see comments about being on RR. I'll have to check that out and see what fame you've amassed in your endeavor.

    Keep it up. I'm always looking for new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw you this morning on "TRRS" and almost passed out at the creme brulee'. Then, like any good teacher out for the summer, I came and stared with glazed eyes at all your recipes. I'm on March currently, and the demise of many a meat and veggie is in the works. I'm like Chef Vadar.

    I just love your ideas. I am going to cook a few this week. I also posted a link to your blog on my blog (I hope you don't mind) and passed it on to some of my favorite celiacs. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been monitoring your blog since March and I love it. BTW - caught you on RR, via youtube - awesome! Congrats! Keep up the wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7/10/2008

    Love your recipes- saw you on RR and google your site- Love this!! Living with my BF and working all day your recipes work great for us- we prep the night before, plug in the AM and by 5pm we are ready to dine!! THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete