New York Times best-selling author, slow cooking expert, mom of three
  • Follow me
  • Subscribe to newsletter
  • Follow me on Pinterest
  • Follow me on Twitter
  • Become a fan on Facebook
  • Follow me on Google Plus

A Year of Slow Cooking

Friday, June 6, 2014

How to Make Perfect Fudge in the Slow Cooker



I started reading about Intermittent Fasting this week which naturally got me to find a way to make fudge.

I know. 

I don't understand me, either.

Don't wait until the Holiday season to make fudge again. This is SO easy a four-year-old could do it (unless her mom shoos her out of the kitchen so nobody knows how much fudge got eaten in the name of Quality Control).




The Ingredients
serves 10-20 (or Adam and Me on date night)


3 cups semi sweet chocolate chips 
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon salted butter
cooking spray to spray down the crock
parchment paper or non-stick foil to line a 9 x 9 baking pan

The Directions

Use a 4-quart slow cooker. If you only have a 6-quart, that's okay, but it will melt faster, so keep an eye on your chocolate.
Spray the crock well with cooking spray (if you are using a Ninja, I'd still spray it down). 
Dump everything into the pot. Cover, and cook on high for about 1 hour, or on low for about 2 hours. Stir every 30 minutes. Once the chocolate has lost it's form and can be stirred into a liquid state, spread it out into a lined 9 x 9 baking pan.
Chill in the refrigerator overnight (or at least 4 hours) before cutting into bite-sized squares.

The Verdict

It's perfect. I wondered how the consistency would be without marshmallow fluff, but the condensed milk made the same sort of smooth texture with the chocolate as I wanted. 
Because the mixture doesn't need to get boiled to a candy-making boiling point, this is a great recipe for kids. If you'd like to, go ahead and add chopped nuts or candy canes for a peppermint version.

Long Live Fudge!!


never miss a recipe! sign up for the newsletter (s) and get everything delivered right to your inbox!

12 comments:

Melissa said...

In a word, YUM!

Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds like a must try!

Hope said...

Life saver!

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Brilliant! Sounds like great date night fare to me, Steph! :-)

xo,
Shirley

Ed McGee said...

I love the idea of this (even pinned it on Pinterest), but I do have a question. It seems that basically the slow cooker is just being used to melt the chocolate. Is something else going on? Does the slow cooker do a better job "curing" the chocolate? Is there some other advantage to using the slow cooker? What's the difference between doing it this way and melting everything inbs double boiler? Thanks..

Ed

Stephanie O'Dea said...

Hi Ed, nope, you're right. This site is for all things slow cooker, though. ;-)

Christine Gopi said...

Ohhh My!!! I am so trying this! Can unsalted butter used instead and maybe add a little salt? If so how much? YUM!!

Stephanie O'Dea said...

Hi Christine, sure thing. I'd use a pretty scant amount (although I LOVE salt with dark chocolate...) I'd personally do about 1/8 tsp.

Martha said...

Looks delicious. This is my favorite fudge recipe, but haven't tried it in the slow cooker yet.

Donna B. Nielsen said...

Omigosh! I read some of those articles about Intermittent Fasting too and your next comment cracked me up. Thanks for the laugh. (And for a new fudge recipe.)

Brooke M said...

I thought I remember a post from waaaaay back where you tried fudge in the slow cooker and it was a big flop?

Wendy said...

I know that this is a slow cooker site, but I have been making this "cheater's fudge" for 25 years now. Started with throwing all in a pot on the stove, but now, it all goes in the micro. I also stir in 1/2 cup peanut butter for peanut butter fudge. It only takes minutes and the house doesn't smell like chocolate for days. Lovely stuff!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I will try my hardest to answer questions as they come up, but if your question gets buried, you may try me on twitter or facebook.

Due to a CRAZY amount of spam, anonymous comments are no longer allowed. Please use one of the free account services listed.

Happy Slow Cooking!

 
You are using Internet Explorer 6 which is unable to render this web site properly or display the drop-down elements in the main menu. Please upgrade your browser to the latest version of Internet Explorer or try installing Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox instead.