Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes in the Slow Cooker

You're going to love these potatoes ---- the garlic roasts along with the potatoes in the cooker in a bit of chicken broth, then gets mashed right on in with both cream and Parmesan cheeses.


I've got two out of three kids with new orthodontic work --- my eldest got braces a week ago, and her younger sister had a palate expander inserted yesterday (that expander thing kind of creeps me out).

This means we are eating an awful lot of soft food.

Garlic mashed potatoes were requested, and I was on a mission to see if I could make the whole dish directly in the slow cooker, without having to boil water or pull out a colander.

It worked! You're going to love these potatoes ---- the garlic roasts along with the potatoes in the cooker in a bit of chicken broth, then gets mashed right on in with both cream and Parmesan cheeses.


The Ingredients.

serves 8-12

  • 5 pounds red potatoes, mostly skinned and quartered
  • 20 cloves of garlic, peeled (about 2 heads)
  • 1 cup chicken broth (you can use vegetable)
  • 1/2 block (4 ounces) of cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • (salt to taste if needed at the table)




 The Directions.


Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Place the peeled and quartered potatoes into an empty slow cooker. I left the skin on a few of the potatoes for added color and texture; it's completely up to you.

Toss in the garlic cloves. Pour in chicken or vegetable broth.

Cover, and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.


Check the potato doneness with a fork. The potato piece should slide right off, and the garlic should be a golden brown and pretty shiny. 

If you have a LOT of liquid in the bottom of the crock, you  might want to drain a bit of it out. I only ended up with what looked like a 1/4 cup or so accumulated (I used the Ninja Cooking System).

Add the cream cheese to the pot, and use an immersible hand blender to mash the potatoes, or you can use a whisk or potato masher if you'd like a chunkier finished product. Stir in the Parmesan cheese. Salt to taste, if necessary, at the table.


The Verdict.


Delicious, creamy, and garlicky. The garlic is roasted, so the flavor is mellow and slightly nutty.

There isn't any heat or bite from the garlic whatsoever, it's incredibly smooth. We brought this to a friend's house for dinner and it paired beautifully with oven roasted tri-tip and asparagus.

Enjoy!
Garlic and potatoes roast at the same time in the slow cooker and then get mashed together with chicken broth to make a robust and flavorful mashed potato side dish. Definitely company worthy!


Other garlicky goodness:


  1. 20-40 clove garlic chicken
  2. roasted garlic
  3. super duper garlic dip
  4. roasted garlic spoonbread
  5. honey garlic chicken
  6. garlic baked potatoes
  7. broccoli with roasted garlic and hazelnuts

Thanksgiving Slow Cooker

Thanksgiving Slow Cooker

32 included recipes, a Thanksgiving Timeline Cheatsheet, a 30-Minute “Company’s Coming” Cleaning Guide
Get my ebook!



Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Yield: 12
Author: Stephanie O'Dea AYearofSlowCooking.com
Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 8 HourTotal time: 8 H & 15 M
Garlic mashed potatoes in the crockpot slow cooker.

Ingredients

  • 5 pounds red potatoes, mostly skinned and quartered
  • 20 cloves of garlic, peeled (about 2 heads)
  • 1 cup chicken broth (you can use vegetable)
  • 1/2 block (4 ounces) of cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • (salt to taste if needed at the table)

Instructions

  1. Use a 6-quart slow cooker.
  2. Place the peeled and quartered potatoes into an empty slow cooker.
  3. Toss in the garlic cloves. Pour in chicken or vegetable broth.
  4. Cover, and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
  5. Check the potato doneness with a fork. The potato piece should slide right off, and the garlic should be a golden brown and pretty shiny.
  6. If you have a LOT of liquid in the bottom of the crock, you might want to drain a bit of it out. I only ended up with what looked like a 1/4 cup or so accumulated.
  7. Add the cream cheese to the pot, and use an immersible hand blender to mash the potatoes, or you can use a whisk or potato masher if you'd like a chunkier finished product. 
  8. Stir in the Parmesan cheese. Salt to taste, if necessary, at the table.


Do you love this recipe?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at August 21, 2013

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this recipe

  1. This looks awesome! Can't wait to try it. And yes, those expanders are totally creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like something totally worth eating!! Well - almost! Is the cream cheese necessary? Or, is there something else that can be used instead - like just regular cream/milk or something else? I truly can't stand cream cheese in anything besides dips, or on a bagel. (I don't like cheesecake either!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, I'm glad I'm not the only one creeped out, Quiltin' Jenny!

    No worries, Marge. You can use sour cream, or butter, or just a splash or two of milk or cream to help with the smashing process. If you'd like the slight chew that the cream cheese provides, any white cheese would work: mozzarella, swiss, jack, etc.

    -- I wouldn't add a whole 4 oz unless you want a lot of stringiness, but now that I think about it, that'd be good, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! We went through a palatal expander with my 9 yr old last year. She did great, and had none of the issues that I had expected. Aside from adjusting her diet in the first couple of days, she had no side effects and we were lucky that I had to only do adjustments for the first two to three weeks. It was kind of creepy, but necessary, and we got through it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you use grated parmesan like the powder in the shaker can, or freshly grated parmesan?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenna, I had grated in a container from Trader Joe's but feel free to use the stuff in the green can! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a palate expander. It became a joke among friends that met me later in life that I needed a device to make my mouth bigger because I am already so loud :) It is creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter just went through the palate expander process (9yr old). I have to tell you I was completely freaked out by it! And I cried about hurting my baby, was I really sure this was necessary, and so on! But I want to assure you she came through it like a champ and it didn't hurt her to adjust it! (In case you are a big baby like me) Now we are at the retainer stage and it truly completely changed her mouth structure and so I am hopeful her teeth will come in and just maybe..... she won't need braces (fingers crossed).
    I almost never make comments (I'm a lurker) but I wanted you to know it isn't nearly as bad as you think it will be (again, in case you are a big baby like me)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds more amazing than I can put into words. Like I should probably not make it because I'll want to eat it all at once.

    On another note, that is the cutest garlic vampire graphic ever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Had this for dinner tonight. Subbed butter in for the cream cheese, and it was delicious. It will definitely be added to the rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter had the expander and I was so happy when they took it out! I guess it worked though so it was worth it. These potatoes sound wonderful - love the creamy garlic flavor and the idea of making mashed potatoes in the crock pot is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, bless their hearts -- I remember the braces-adjustment period so well, even all these years later! I'll make this dish and think pain-free thoughts for them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a jar of crushed garlic in the fridge. Think I could use that?
    J. Chase

    ReplyDelete
  14. I FINALLY got to try this tonight! It was excellent! I didn't have the Parmesan cheese so I used cheddar. Love the convenience.

    ReplyDelete