New York Times best-selling author, slow cooking expert, mom of three
  • Follow me
  • Subscribe to newsletter
  • Follow me on Pinterest
  • Follow me on Twitter
  • Become a fan on Facebook
  • Follow me on Google Plus

A Year of Slow Cooking

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Brown Sugar and Bourbon Glazed Corned Beef



Yesterday was Adam's birthday, and he requested corned beef. I've only cooked corned beef in the slow cooker since we've been married, but each time it's slightly different. Last night's dinner was better than perfect. 

The salty brine from the corned beef married beautifully with the glaze I made out of brown sugar, dijon mustard, molasses, and bourbon.

Super way yum.
The Ingredients.
serves 6 to 8

3 to 4 pounds corned beef (rinsed very very well)
and the enclosed seasoning packet
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons dijon mustard (prepared; not powdered)
1/4 cup bourbon (if you'd prefer, you can use apple juice)

The Directions.

Use a 6-quart slow cooker. I used my Ninja. Rinse your meat under running cold water to wash away as much of the salty brine as you can -- don't worry, the salt is infused in the meat and it will still taste salty to your tongue.

Place the roast into an empty slow cooker. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, and pour the glaze over the top of your meat. Cover, and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, flipping the meat over after about 5 hours.
Serve with mashed potatoes and a nice green salad. 

The Verdict.

I can't wait for tonight's leftovers. You're really going to like this corned beef -- even my kid who isn't "really a fan" ate two helpings. If you've got a frozen package left over from the spring, thaw it out at least half-way before slow-cooking. The meat fibers are pretty tough, and it'll take 14 to 15 hours to cook on low if your meat is frozen.

It was a great birthday dinner, and I made a pretty-awesome-if-I-do-say-so-myself-and-I-do gluten free lemon cake for dessert. I'll write up the recipe; I promise. 

In the mean time:
here we are 20 years ago, on Adam's 17th birthday. This is the very first photo taken of us as a couple, and I love it to bits. We haven't aged much, right?! ;-)


I hope you're enjoying your summer!! Don't forget to check out the giveaway page for this week's great offers, and to order a new Totally Together: Shortcuts to an Organized Life planner. It begins again in September.


12 comments:

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions said...

Happy birthday to Adam! What a great picture of the two of you!

Deb W said...

Omigosh, that picture is the cutest thing! Happy birthday to Adam, and happy celebrating to you all!

Phoenix said...

OMG this sounds delectable, and you two are adorable ;-)

4SquareBear said...

Could this possibly bemdonemwith a non-corned brisket?

Stephanie ODea said...

Hi 4squarebear, yes. I'd add 1 teaspoon each of: kosher salt, ground black pepper, ginger, and whole cloves. It won't be exactly like a corned beef, but will be quite tasty. :-)
if you'd like to turn a beef brisket into homemade corned beef, Elise has a recipe: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/home_cured_corned_beef/

Cocktail Lady said...

Hello dear! I will need to try this one for sure! Sounds delicious!

karen said...

I've actually never had corned beef, but this might inspire me to try it...

Silver Surfer said...

Stephanie! Used this recipe with pork tenderloin. It was a home run! Truly unique and tasty BBQ. Thank you.

Stephanie ODea said...

oh neat, Silver Surfer! what a great idea! thanks for letting me know.

Catastrophe Waitress said...

I made this last night. Everyone loved it! I used apple juice because I'm too cheap to buy bourbon, and it was really great. I think next time I will soak the corned beef overnight though, because it was still quite salty. I will for sure be making this again though. Thanks!!

SoCalGal52 said...

This sounds perfect! I'm always on the look-out for a praline/bourbon recipe. I'm s bit confused; do we add the seasoning packet to the corned beef or leave it out? Can't wait to try this, as I love corned beef - any time!

Reani said...

I made this tonight. I followed the direction exactly as stated in the recipe and it came out wonderful. This is the third recipe I made from this site so I am a big fan now! Thank you for making life easy and delicious :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I will try my hardest to answer questions as they come up, but if your question gets buried, you may try me on twitter or facebook.

Due to a CRAZY amount of spam, anonymous comments are no longer allowed. Please use one of the free account services listed.

Happy Slow Cooking!

 
You are using Internet Explorer 6 which is unable to render this web site properly or display the drop-down elements in the main menu. Please upgrade your browser to the latest version of Internet Explorer or try installing Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox instead.