Slow Cooker Carrot Pudding Recipe


Carrot pudding? Are you serious? That's the recipe you've got today?

I know. It sounds really weird, but I had some with a slab of roast beef at a steakhouse a few years ago and haven't been able to get it out of my mind ever since.

This is a side dish, not a dessert. Serve it alongside a nice juicy steak with a baked potato. Serve it to your inlaws---they'll think you're fancy.

The Ingredients.
serves 10

4 cups grated carrots
1 small onion, grated
1 cup heavy cream
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon white granulated sugar

The Directions.

Use a 4-quart slow cooker. If you've only got a big guy, that's okay, but your pudding will cook faster--check it after 2 hours.
Grate the carrots and onion--- Adam bought himself (he said it was for me, but I'm scared to death of the thing, so he uses it each and every time) a  food processor, which is what we used to grate our carrots and the onion. If you want to buy the already-grated carrots (near the bagged salad and coleslaw), go for it.
Add the grated veggies to your crockpot.

In a mixing bowl, combine the cream, egg, salt, nutmeg, and sugar. Pour this mixture into your slow cooker, and stir well. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, or on high for about 2 to 3. Your pudding is done when the carrots are tender. Now, using a hand-held stick blender (CAREFULLY) pulse a few times to create a pudding-like consistency. You can also (carefully!!) transfer the carrot concoction to a traditional blender to pulse a bit.

Some might ask if the blending is necessary. I think so. The consistency is changed quite a bit by blending, and the pudding becomes velvety and smooth. You don't want it smooth like baby food, but definitely creamy and combined.

Serve with meat and potatoes for a rich and satisfying meal.

The Verdict.

My kids like this, but have a hard time with the "weird" factor. Adam likes it a lot----we usually pair it with grilled steaks. This is a great companion to a summer cookout when you want something different, but aren't sure what that is exactly.



It's the last week of school for us! I'm terribly excited to have everyone home with me. I'm planning to stay in my slippers each day for as long as I can.

Any big summer plans for you and your family?

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at June 01, 2011

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. LindaC6/01/2011

    This looks wonderful to me. Maybe if you didn't call it "pudding"?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for this recipe, Steph! I have a ton of carrots and we're always looking for great new side dishes. Mr. GFE would love me to have a reason to serve steaks, too. ;-)

    BTW, had your carnitas at my support group meeting last week. Everyone LOVED them! There were no leftovers even though I cooked a 6-lb pork shoulder and we had tons of other great food, too. I'm using the defatted broth/juice and bones that I froze in a black-eyed pea, corn, salsa, and rice concoction today. :-)

    Bring on the slippers! xo,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely be trying this. I made a carrot soup a while ago that I loved, but DH didn't (mostly because of the dill). So I'm excited to have another nontraditional carrot recipe to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a carrot souffle recently and was pleasantly surprised, I look forward to the carrot pudding. This weekend I made Honey Lentils from this blog and it was a winner. Keep the great recipes coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alicia6/01/2011

    I had this last week for the first time - it was called carrot mash and I had it with lamb. It was simple and delicious. I agree though, there is a certain weird factor to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first thought was "this is baby food!" but now I'm intrigued. I might just try this. Worse case scenario, the baby will just get fed well. :-) Just kidding, you've never steered me wrong before and I'm sure it's delicious!

    I went to a BBQ this weekend and learned the host was gluten free and couldn't eat beef. I was SO glad my meatballs were turkey. We're invited back to another BBQ there on the 4th of July and I want to bring a gluten free dessert and something else delicious that is gluten free (not just veggies) so I'll be scouring your blog for something to bring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does look really weird, but delicious, too! It reminds me of a sweet potato side dish. I'm looking forward to trying it. I hope it freezes well, because I plan to make the full recipe and then save some for future meals. Thanks for sharing, and I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahahaha, i don't think i could ever convince my in-laws that I am fancy, but I might have to give this dish a try, although I have to admit that I am a bit skeptical!

    -Heather from lifeofapasseri.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing! I'll try it this week with a pot roast and roasted potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is an Indian dessert made the same way - shredded carrots, cook a LONG time. However, as a dessert its got sugar, cinnamon, butter and milk (or half and half for gluttons). I'm seroiously contemplating a crock pot attempt here - add milk near end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love carrot puddings. But mostly I am commenting to implore you to use your food processor! I love mine and it has transformed my cooking prep! Try it! Don't be scared! If you have a cuisinart version, there's no possible way to cut yourself as the machine won't work if all the piecs are put together properly - and if they are put together properly, your hand can't be anywhere near the blade. Please, try it! You'll love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with LindaC--how about "carrot fluff"?
    I think that would sell better with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks good!!!
    Had a friend who use to make a big pot of rice & add 2 c grated carrots... sooo good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trishwall9/27/2012

    Actually, Carrot Pudding is quite popular in the deep South. I've had it at a cafeteria and several pot-lucks. Looks like a good recipe and not as sweet as some I've eaten. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marilyn9/03/2017

    Can you sub full fat coconut milk for the heavy cream in this (or in any) recipe? We're gluten and dairy free here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Marilyn,

    Yes, that would work just fine! Definitely keep the fat on top of the can -- this recipe wants the creamy, velvety texture. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete