Italian Rice Slow Cooker Recipe


You can make rice in the slow cooker! Even on days you don't end up using the slow cooker for a main course, you can use it for fuss-free sides. 

I used long-grain white basmati rice, but a long-grain brown would work also. The short grains will get gummy--I'd stick to the longer stuff.

The Ingredients.
serves 4

1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
6 green onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 cup long-grain white basmati rice
2 cups chicken broth

The Directions.

Use a 4-quart slow cooker. 

Put the tomatoes and sliced green onions into the bottom of your cooker and add garlic and Italian seasoning. 

Stir in the raw rice until it's evenly coated with the tomato gunk and spices. 

Pour in the chicken broth. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours, or unti the rice is tender. 

Take the lid off and fluff the rice with a fork. 

Let the slow cooker sit with the lid off for 10-15 minutes before serving to release steam.

The Verdict.

We ate our Italian rice with a roasted chicken. 

I liked how the rice was speckled with color and infused with flavor, but no oil or fat. 

We all ate our dinner without complaint. YAY!

on a side note: who saw Oprah yesterday with Martha Stewart as the guest? 


more ricey dishes:







 porridge (flop!)



Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at October 06, 2010

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Anonymous10/06/2010

    Hi! I have a very random question (that I should probably know the answer to). Do you rinse the raw basmati before adding it to the crock pot? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi anon, I'm not a rice rinser, but I know many are. If you typically rinse rice, you should here, too! it will not change the outcome.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the looks of that recipe and intend to try it soon. I don't think I use my slow cooker as much as you do, but I'm getting braver all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if you could add a couple of frozen chicken breasts to this and make it a meal, or if the rice would be overcooked since you would probably have to cook it longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kimberly,

    I wonder about that, too. The chicken gives off liquid while cooking, so I think the ratios will be off. I do have a chicken and brown rice casserole recipe that you could use for liquid:rice ratio.

    if you give it a go, please report back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. JessicaE10/06/2010

    Ooo, this is great...love flavored rice, but the packaged stuff is pretty horrible. Betcha could add curry powder in place of the Italian seasoning and half coconut milk for half the chicken broth for a different take...mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks GOOD! I am SO bad at making rice, I need to try this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete