Crab and Corn Soup CrockPot Recipe


Amie promises me that it's cooling off even in Arizona, and it's officially Soup Season.

I'm so glad.

The Ingredients.
serves 6



1 quart chicken broth (4 cups!)
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup finely chopped onion, or 1 tablespoon dried minced onion flakes
1 (32-ounce) package of frozen corn
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (6-ounce) can lump crabmeat, drained and picked through (don't use Krab. it's not gluten free, and it's weird)
1 cup half and half or heavy cream (to add later)
1 avocado, sliced (to add later)

The Directions.

Use a 4-quart slow cooker. 

Pour the broth into your crockpot, and add butter and onion. 

Stir in frozen corn, garlic, butter, cayenne, and the crabmeat (make sure you pick through canned crab---shells often occur!) 

Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, high for 4 hours, or until the onion is cooked through and translucent. 

If you'd like a thicker broth, pulse a few times with an immersible blender, or scoop out a cup or so and blend in a traditional stand blender, then stir it back in (carefully!).

Add half and half or cream. 

Stir well, and ladle into bowls or bread bowls, and garnish with avocado slices.

The Verdict.

I had a soup just like this on the boardwalk in Monterey, CA, and this really brought me back to that occasion. 

It's rich and hearty without being too heavy, and the crab flavor is subtle and beautiful. 

I LOVE the velvety feel the half and half provides---

I'm sure you could get away with using a lower fat variety of milk, but it just won't be the same.


seafood schtoup schtuff:

lobster bisque  (this was the Christmas Day recipe in 2008!)



barbecued shrimp (not soup. just amazingly good)


Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at October 28, 2010

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Mmmmm I love soups. Corn chowder is one of my favorites. Yknow, it's funny, things cooled off last week, then this week we're back in the 90s! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10/28/2010

    I love soup and here in WI the temps are such that we can eat them now.

    Have you ever used no fat evaporated milk in your soups instead of the high fat milks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely, officially soup season! I always make stock in the slow cooker, but seldom use it for soups. This one tempts me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant wait to try this! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be making this on Sunday...looks so good...now to find some great bread to bake to go with it...thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, we can't get enough crabmeat in our house, so this one is on the "to make" list for sure. I'm certain I could make this soup with coconut milk, too, to make it dairy free. Love the addition of the avocado as garnish, Steph!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds great! Did you mean Fishermans Wharf in Monterey or the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz. Just asking because I am going to be in monterey on Tuesday and I'd love to get it for lunch! What restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is in the crock pot right now and smells DELICIOUS! The entire house feels cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10/31/2010

    I made this today and WOW, it was so good!! My 10 year old even cleaned his bowl and he is SUPER picky! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have this in my crock as we speak. I'm wondering how well it keeps? Do you think I can freeze some of it for later? It's only my hubby, daughter, and me and this looks like a lot of soup! I can't wait to try it though! We live about 3 hours from Monterey and I know just the soup you are talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Making this for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete