Slow Cooker Mulligatawny Soup Recipe

This is the World Famous Mulligatawny soup recipe that was featured in the famous "soup nazi" Seinfeld episode. 

You can make this totally awesome soup at home, in your pajamas, in your very own slow cooker.




According to a CNN article , the real life "soup nazi" featured in the famous Seinfeld episode is reopening his soup stand. 

I read that he had closed it because of possible franchise opportunities.

There's no need to wait in line for hours and risk getting yelled at. 

You can make Kramer's favorite soup at home, in your pajamas, in your very own slow cooker. 

And it's easy. 

I assumed there would be a ton of ingredients, be difficult to assemble, and too much work to want to make often.

I love it when I'm wrong.




The Ingredients.
serves 6
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (frozen is okay)
1 cup peeled and chopped apple (mine were fuji)
1 cup chopped carrots
1 (15-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
1 tablespoon dried minced onion flake
1/4 cup raisins
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons curry
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup long grain white rice (to add later)

The Directions.

Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Put the chicken thighs into the bottom of your cooker, and add apple, carrots, the whole can of tomatoes, onion flakes, and raisins. 

Then add the lemon juice, spices, and broth. 

Stir to mix the spices.

Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. If you'd like, shred the chicken with two big forks, and stir in the uncooked rice. 

Flip to high for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender. 

If you live in a high altitude, the rice will take longer and you might want to consider using instant or already cooked rice---it's up to you.

Ladle into soup bowls.

The Verdict.

Gosh this is good. 

The curry and nutmeg pairs so nicely with the sweetness of the raisins and the apple. The end result is sweet but still savory, and my kids LICKED THEIR BOWLS. 

My dad loves this soup, and I'm so happy to be able to make it now whenever he'd like. 

The ingredients are pretty much pantry staples in our house, which is a total bonus. 

I'm not a good counting calories or points person, but this has got to be pretty light. 


If you'd like the nutrition breakdown, many of my readers love the free counter at sparkspeople or my fitness pal.



Do you love this recipe?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at April 11, 2023

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this recipe

  1. Once again, yum-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I heard of this soup was on an episode of Seinfeld with the Soup Nazi. The most famous line in the show was "No Soup For You! Come back, one year."

    Now that I have the recipe I can make it anytime I want.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am anxious to try this. I have a recipe for this soup that is NOT crockpot and uses pistachios. We love the soup, but hate shelling the nuts. Thanks for this one - I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still hunting for "Liquid Smoke?" I checked our Safeway --- top shelf of the Barbecue Sauce section is where it hides -- not in the spice or seasoning sections. They carry 2 different brands (Wrights and Colgin's). Hope this helps!

    PS -- that soup looks killer! If only is weren't in the upper 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can't cook to save my life.. and so got a crock pot.. i mean i can throw some ingredients in and have a delicious meal. i'm excited to try a lot of your recipes-!

    http://wordvolume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favorite soups and I'm so glad to know how to make it in the slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds fantastic. Though I have no idea how to pronounce it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the name, but I've never made or had mulligatawny soup before, Steph. The ingredients are surprising, but I trust you! No, I'd never wait in line to be yelled at. LOL I don't think it will be soup weather any time soon, but I'll look forward to making this on the next cool day. :-)

    Thanks!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds wonderful - can't wait to try it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, this one sounds good!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this soup, and that it starts with frozen thighs. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used the Rotel Tomatoes with the Chiles in them, oops. It was way too spicy. Won't do that again, poor kids drank milk like it was going out of style. I only could find the bone-in thighs so I de-skinned them and cooked them with the bone on. Mistake, it was so greasy and a pain in the butt to cut off the meat. Also I only had jumbo raisins so it looked like I had grapes in the soup. :-) Besides my mistakes, it was good. I will make it again without the hot"ness".

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have your meatball soup in my crockpot as we speak. I am looking forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michelle in Illinois8/05/2010

    I am def going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh fabulous, I had seen this soup mentioned in several books I have read and hadn't got around to working out just exactly what it is, and now I know

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this is going to be dinner tonight.. minus the raisins.. husband wouldn't know what to think about raisins in his soup! Still LOVING your cookbook stephanie!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous8/06/2010

    Plugging your recipe into http://caloriecount.about.com and assuming it makes 6 servings, each serving has:

    Serving Size 274 g
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 144
    Calories from Fat 19
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 2.1g 3%
    Trans Fat 0.0g
    Cholesterol 23mg 8%
    Sodium 423mg 18%
    Total Carbohydrates 21.7g 7%
    Dietary Fiber 2.5g 10%
    Sugars 8.9g
    Protein 9.7g
    Vitamin A 73%
    Vitamin C 22%
    Calcium 3%
    Iron 8%
    Nutrition Grade A-
    * Based on a 2000 calorie diet

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous8/09/2010

    I cannot find fire roasted tomatoes anywhere! Any ideas on substituting?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lori, hmm. I googled "substitute for fire roasted canned tomatoes" and didn't really find anything. I'd just use a can of some sort of flavored tomatoes---whatever you can find. Italian, garlic, etc. Or use regular canned tomatoes (just not rotel) and call it a day. :-)

    xoxo steph

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous8/10/2010

    Stephanie--I made this today and i turned out great! I ended up taking your suggestion and substituting what I had on hand--a can of diced tomatoes and a small can of tomato sauce. I did use more chicken than you called for and also added more of everything else. My 6 year old son said this was a great "crockpot surprise"!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Made this today and it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous8/14/2010

    Made this soup today - it cooled off to 90 - and it is absolutely delicious! Thanks so much for all your recipes. marlu

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds absolutely splendid! It's getting to be that time of year when we need warming, comforting foods. This is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Christina9/18/2010

    This was so good. We spent a chilly, rainy afternoon at a downtown event today and came home to this soup in the crockpot and fresh bread. The house smelled like fall and this soup tasted awesome. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The ingredients sound odd but it also sounded intriguing and yummy...and boy is it!! Mine's been in the Crock since this morning. We don't eat for a few more hours, & I haven't added the rice yet...but I keep sneaking bits of this to "snack" on. Mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I made this recipe a couple days ago for my household's staggered dinner schedule. I tried the soup first and it took a serious amount of willpower to not eat the rest of it all myself.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just wanted to say that we love this soup. I make it all the time... putting it in the crock as I write this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I made this and wrote about it here. The whole family loves it! I used chicken breasts and brown rice though. For the leftovers I added extra raisins and carrots. They all must have floated to the top with the first serving!

    This recipe is definately a keeper for our family. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous3/28/2011

    Oh my goodness! I just finished eating this soup for dinner with some sourdough bread! Holy moly is this one of the BEST crock pot meals I have EVER made!

    Thank you for all of your recipes! AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Madison Home Cooker2/20/2012

    My family really liked this soup! I decided to make it on the stove top since I was home anyway and it was finished--from first chop to table-- in under an hour. I chopped up a fresh onion and sauteed it for a bit, adding in the chopped carrot. (If I were using the crock pot, I would definitely opt for the dried onion, because otherwise the fresh onion would dominate). When the onions were tender, I added everything else, except the apple (because I didn't have one). I also didn't have any meat, so I substituted a can of rinsed, drained chickpeas. Lovely! My 6 year old, who complains about almost everything, actually said "Mmmm!" and gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up! I added an additional cup of water, and could maybe even add some more, but it depends how thick you like your soups. I look forward to eating this tomorrow for lunch. My 9 year old, who is not a picky eater, picked out the raisins, so I'll probably leave them out next time. I think the carrots, curry and nutmeg combine well to make it pleasingly tangy- sweet on its own. Thanks for a healthy, super easy soup recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  31. We had this last night and it was great! I was a little confused though b/c I made mine in a 5qt and had LOTS of extra room even though you suggested a 6qt? I also added a significant additional amount of chicken broth before I could actually call it "soup." Wondering if it had to do with the fact that I used an 11oz chicken breast instead of an increased amount of fattier thighs? At any rate, it tasted wonderful and smelled just as good! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey there Stephanie,
    Your Mulligatawny recipe has brought my slow cooking days back to life after a long hiatus. I'm in process of making a doubled-recipe for the 3rd time in ten days. It is that good: easy to make (I am nowhere near a cook); delicious and nutritious; can't beat the combo of savory, spice and sweet; and fills the space here with a warming fruit-nutmeg-curry-chicken smell. So thanks a lot, and I'll definitely be checking out more recipes here.
    Best, FJW

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous3/24/2015

    Stephanie, I have been cooking from your three books since I retired. My family and I thank you!
    I made this recipe a couple of times in 2011 (from your “More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow”) and had forgotten about it. Even though I filed it marked ‘VVG’ (Very Very Good) I do not do soups often so I have not done it since. It is now on queue for one of these days.
    My wife is allergic to onion and garlic and I have to use gluten-free ingredients because of my daughter so I am always looking for recipes with savory ingredients and the results seem to be pleasing.
    Lori . . . When the recipe calls for ‘fire-roasted tomatoes’ I use fresh tomatoes or Kirkland Organic diced tomatoes and mild Fire-roasted diced green chiles (all sans onion, garlic, or gluten of course). Most tomatoes in a can will have ‘spices’, garlic, and or onion.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The recipe is simple and straightforward, and the soup is wonderfully sweet and savory!! It is one of my all time favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's 5 WW points on the Blue Plan. Just FYI.

    ReplyDelete