CrockPot Hirino Psito, Slow-Roasted Pork

Have you ever had something so good you didn't know you were missing it until you had it the first time and then you realized you spent YEARS wasting your life not eating this new amazing thing?

This is it. This is the slow roasted pork in the crockpot you've been waiting for.



My friend, Georgia, printed this recipe off of ABC's website. It is a take on Cat Cora's family recipe, and is modified for the crockpot, and for me.

Because I couldn't understand how it was really supposed to be prepared.

This was the "winning" pork recipe, according to Adam. 

I cooked it overnight, and woke up to the best smelling kitchen--ever--even though I did slightly overcook the meat.


The Ingredients.
serves 8 or so


3-4 pound boneless pork butt or shoulder
10 whole garlic cloves
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon gluten free Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup beer (Redbridge is gluten free)

The Directions.

Use a 6 quart slow cooker

Put the meat into your crockpot, and pour on dry spices, and brown sugar. 

Flip the meat over a few times in the stoneware so the spices are kind of stuck to all sides. Peel garlic cloves and add whole. 

 Add Worcestershire sauce, mustard, honey, and cranberries. Top with bay leaves. Pour in the beer.

Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until meat shreds easily with a fork. 

I cooked on low for 12 hours, and while the meat was tender and flavorful, it did burn a bit on the top and sides. 

Serve over rice or pasta, or on your favorite sandwich rolls.

The Verdict.

Adam LOVED this. 

I loved the smell. I want to try this sauce/ingredient combination with a turkey breast or hunk of beef.


LONG LIVE PORK!! :-) 

Hirino Psito is a slow roasted pork recipe using pork butt or shoulder -- it is sweet and savory and shreds beautifully to serve over rice, or stuffed into sandwiches or lettuce wraps. This gluten free version is from ayearofslowcooking.com


Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at March 10, 2017

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. I had a new years resolution to add a little variety to our dinners and I stumbled upon your blog the beginning of January and I've been crockpotting ever since! I'm just now getting ready to make your crockpot encheladas! Thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a pork loin in the fridge right now. Thanks for the recipe~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very excited for the cookbook. I'm glad to hear it is coming along so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! We've used many recipes from it already (Salsa Chicken and Black Bean Soup is in the crockpot right now). Is there something I could substitute for the beer? Vegetable broth, cooking wine, vinegar? Would any of those things work instead or am I silly for wanting to try?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Holly,

    How about apple juice?
    broth would work fine, but might add more salt than you'd like.

    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a pork butt in the freezer that needs a good recipe. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! I'm so glad you're done with pork! I'm allergic. As I clicked over today, I thought "alright already with the pork..."

    Yay!

    Thanks for working so hard for a whole year to make life easier for the rest of us! Can't wait for the cook book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hiya- totally unrelated but did you realize you have a red meat header, but none for beef? but you do have one for lamb?

    I'm hunting for an easy crockpot recipe for eye of round.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just wondering what kind of noodles you used in the picture. They look delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mel,
    that's brown rice spaghetti from trader joe's.
    xox steph

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, done with pork!!! Let's move on to some food I can actually eat!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe all you've accomplished since a year ago when I started coming here!! AMAZING...Way to go you!! I can't wait for your book to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!!!!

    Let me repeat that:

    WOW!!!

    This is a super recipe and I am on 2nd's as I write this.

    Maybe my crockpot cooks too fast, but even on the 10 hour setting I found it ready to eat at about 8 1/2 hours. Of course, I used a full bottle of beer...

    Delicious. Superb. Best one yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just got my first crock pot for Christmas and your site looks like a great place to find some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I noticed that the original recipe calls for 1/4 c of Bourbon and your recipe calls for 1 c of beer. Is there a fundamental reason for the change? (Is it important to have that extra 3/4 c of liquid?)

    I forgot to buy beer for this and didn't realize it until I was putting everything together with only 10 h until dinner (no time to run out to the store). I had Bourbon on hand, so I used that. So far, it smells great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Charity,
    We don't keep bourbon in the house and I added the extra liquid (beer) to make up for the 1/2 cup of Alma's mustard I wasn't going to use.
    xoxo steph

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG This is so yummy! I followed the recipe exact and it is so good! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous3/14/2009

    This was delicious, and really made the house smell heavenly. As usual, my onion addiction caused me to add 3 sliced & sauted onions. They dissolved during the cooking, but I think they lent both flavor & body to the sauce. All I could find in the house was lite beer -- well, there were others, but they were my husband's "special" beers -- and I think a more full-bodied beer would have been better. My hubby said he will make this next November when he & his buddies go on their week-long fishing trip to Cape Hatteras -- put it together in the AM, go off for a day of fishing, then return to a magnificent meal, with plenty for left-over sandwiches the next day. He will be a rock star! I served it with a brown rice & vegetable pilaf made in my rice cooker -- gotta love those appliances!

    Because of your yummy pork recipes, I have started buying whole boneless pork loins when they are on sale. I cut them in half & vacuum seal for the freezer. The half is a perfect size for my 6 qt pot & makes enough to package up left-overs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous3/14/2009

    I made this with a brisket and it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG! This is a hit! My husband loved it and even my 2 year old had some. We did add some Cholula on our plates for an extra kick. THX!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wanted you to know about this awesome recipe!
    When I first read about it I knew I would be making it soon.
    Yesterday I called my 13yo son and had him make it per my instructions via the phone (I was at work).
    I/we had to improvise due to the fact that my roasts were at my mil's in her freezer so we used a large package of bone out pork chops.
    I didn't have sage or bay leaf so those were omitted and I cut down all the amounts. Most was just a teaspoon or a teaspoon or 3, I used raisins instead of cranberries and the beer (I used non alcoholic due to religious reasons) was 1/2 cup.
    When I got home the house smelled amazing and we couldn't wait to try it.
    IT WAS SOOOO AMAZING!!! I literally used my finger to clean out the crockpot and was sad that there were no left overs.

    We are making this AGAIN~!!!!!

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous3/19/2009

    So, what should I do with the rest of the Redbridge Beer at 9:00 in the morning? I wouldn't want it to go to waste. I guess I'll put it in the fridge and hope it's not too flat by dinner time. Maybe I should've set the crock to cook overnight. BTW, my husband has dubbed my slow cookers "CrackPots", since I'm totally addicted to them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous3/26/2009

    I solved Jean's dilemma. Last night I put the dry ingredients & the pork in the crockpot...set in fridge. Then I mixed the wet ingredients, sugar, and cranberries in tupperware container...set in fridge. This morning I mixed the two together and turned on crockpot.

    This gave me the ability to drink the rest of the beer that night :)

    Can't wait to try this recipe when I get home. I tried it with NewCastle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This was awesome! My guys loved it! My son (age 17) ate 1/3 of the roast by himself. This recipe is definitely a keeper. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. New Castle did wonderful in this pork dish. My family loved it. And when my daughter eats it and my husband raves about it... I know its good!

    Plus my daughter had a blast helping me make it. I enjoyed the sweet and herby conflict going on in the dish. The cranberry's were a great compliment. Thank U!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Unlike your other recipes I've tried, I didn't love this. It made the meat taste like cranberry-sage beer (I know, go figure). And not in a good way.

    Husband liked it, kids thought it was OK. For some reason, the flavors didn't seem to complement each other... it didn't even give me a Thanksgiving-y vibe which I normally dig. It was just weird.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous5/08/2009

    I made the dish without the cranberries. It was a hit with 3 out of the 4 people I feed on a daily basis. My nephew had seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pittmom5/12/2009

    I have been a fan of your blog for nearly a year and this is my first comment. My husband is Greek and I couldn't resist the Greek/Southern provenance of the recipe! He loved it. I would've liked a little more kick...it's on the sweet side, but served it tonight with Avgolemono soup (egg/lemon) and a salad. I used a bone-in roast (couldn't find boneless) and shredded the meat when it was done, poured the juices into a gravy separater and removed the fat from the juice. I then added enough of the de-fatted juice to the shredded meat to make a "kinda barbecue" pulled pork sandwich on a bun. A true winner like so much else (Vietnamese Chicken Thighs, Pasta Fagioli, Turkey and Wild Rice soup to name a few!)on your blog. I'm buying the cookbook FOR SURE.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous7/29/2009

    Hi Steph,

    This is the first of your recipes that I'm trying. I have a question; because my pot has the vent hole, should I cover with aluminum foil? Should I do that with all recipes?

    Thanks!
    Lucy E

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Lucy,

    that's a great question. I would put a layer of foil or parchment paper down over the entire stoneware, and then put the lid on normally. The parchment or foil will trap the steam ensuring the meat is quite tender and juicy. It also really depends on your vent hole. I have one pot that has a hole in the rim of the stoneware, and one that has a teeny tiny hole in the glass lid. The glass lid hole doesn't seem to make the meat dry out, but the one on the side most certainly does.

    I hope this helps!
    xoxo steph

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous7/29/2009

    Hey Steph,

    House smelled delicious while making this unfortunately my meat did dry out. I have the Hamilton Beach 6Qt Cooker with Thermometer Probe (where vent hole is). At about 8 hrs of slow cooking I could tell it was done but I left it the 10hrs just because it was my first time and I was unsure. Also, my pork was a bit under 3lbs and I didn't adjust the sweetness. And no beer so I used the bourbon like a commentator did but didn't add the other 1/4 of water- duh!
    Hubby said too sweet. Unfortunately Mother-In-Law was here as well and agreed on the too sweet. Amateur user errors that I'm sure has nothing to do with the recipe. Flavors were great!

    Lucy E(gizzard girl)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this recipe and have used it with many cuts of pork time and time again.

    My problem now is that I'm trying to shed some weight and need to know the nutritional values of all my meals. Is there anywhere I can find the breakdown for this recipe?

    Pat
    PS. Your book is on my Christmas Wishlist on Amazon UK.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi there, I haven't used it personally, but many of my readers swear by the nutrition calculator at sparkspeople.com

    xxo steph

    ReplyDelete
  34. Kate M.11/10/2009

    Delicious! I left out the honey and used a whole bottle of beer. I had to cook it for 2 hours on high, and then 4 on low and it still turned out great. I served it over whole wheat pasta with collard greens it was a nice change from familiar pork flavors (bbq, etc.). Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Kate M.11/10/2009

    Forgot to add to my previous comment - I left out the honey and the cranberry and it was delicious. If you don't like these sweet flavors, no need to keep them in!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This was delicious, even with the couple of subs I had to make (ie having neither bourbon nor beer, I used homemade ginger kombucha and it worked fine, no weird flavor). I happened to be feeding my toddler a banana while eating it and let me tell you, it is delicious with banana! Next time I'm totally sauteeing some as a side dish. Our pork was still a little dry even at 8 hours, but the flavor and the broth was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Strangely enough I came across this recipe exactly one year after you posted it! March 10, 2010! With a six week old, I need to get the on slow cooker bandwagon since the bewitching hour seems to come around the time I need to make dinner. Plus, we have a meat farm share and get 10 pounds of meat per month to use up. In this month's share, pork shoulder. Looking forward to trying this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lisa in CO3/12/2010

    I was going to make your carnitas tonight, but was missing too many ingredients. i decided to look at your older pork recipes and had all the ingredients for one (well, except for honey, but i used agave nectar instead).

    Anyway, this was a HUGE hit. Loved the flavor. 7 year old loved the sauce and asked for seconds. <3

    Thanks again for another great recipe.
    Lisa in CO

    ReplyDelete
  39. I've made this recipe several times with rave reviews. Tonight I'm trying it with turkey breast. Thanks for the wonderful recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous3/21/2011

    Hi Stephanie,
    I just made this recipe for my family for the first time last week and they all LOVED it! Even my 10 month old gobbled it up! I also made it for a friend who just had surgery and she and her family loved it, too. I'm going to be participating in a frozen meal swap and I'd love to use this recipe for it. Do you know if hirino psito freezes and thaws well?

    Thanks,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  41. I made this for my two girls(age 5 and 9) and they love it. Even my wife, who can't digest meat will eat this because it tastes so good.

    ReplyDelete
  42. We had this tonight and it was a big hit! I had to sub raisins for the cranberries, tho, as I was not about to go into the heat to HEB. So good on steak roll buns. (: Will definitely make again!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just started the slow cooker, my mouth will be watering for at least 10 or more hours.

    ReplyDelete
  44. We have a very similar recipe in the crock pot right now. Instead of beer & mustard we have soy sauce.

    ReplyDelete