CrockPot Leg of Lamb with Prunes Recipe

Lamb and prunes (dried plums!) simmer all day long in the slow cooker -- this creates a delicious fruit chutney you can serve over the lamb on a bed of mashed potatoes or polenta. 

Lamb cooked in crockpot slow cooker with prunes or dried plums
I'm often asked what my favorite meal is that I've made in the crockpot. I never really know how to answer, because I sort of have forgotten along the way what I've made, and I feel weird picking just one thing out.

But. I can confidentaly answer that THIS is my favorite meal I've made so far this year in the crockpot. It's also the only one I've gotten to actually eat...

but whatever.

it's delicious.

How to Cook Lamb with Prunes in the CrockPot Slow Cooker


The Ingredients.
serves 6 to 8
the ingredients needed to cook lamb with prunes
4 pounds boneless leg of lamb
1 teaspoon each of:
rosemary
cumin
kosher salt
pepper
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups dried plums (dude. they are PRUNES!)
1/2 cup white wine (you could use apple juice)
1 cinnamon stick

The Directions.

Use a 4-5 quart crockpot. Put meat inside, and rub it on all sides with dry spices. 

Add garlic and prunes. Pour in wine, and toss in a cinnamon stick. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for about 4. 

I'd go with the longer and lower cooking time, though.

If you'd like, remove meat from stoneware, and make a gravy out of accumulated juice with some cornstarch. 

The prunes will be awfully squishy, and can blend right in with the juice and cornstarch. 

Serve with mashed potatoes or polenta with gravy drizzled over the top.

The Verdict.

YUM. I loved this, and so did Adam and the kids. We sat. At the table. 

Together.

I even put the laptop away.

 It was a great dinner.

:-)

A year ago today: Chicken and Rice Soup.

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at February 24, 2009

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. This sounds great! I don't have any lamb crockpot recipes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominated you for a Kreativ Blogger Award because you're so cool and I love to read your blog, check out my most recent blog post for more details!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The apricot orange pork chops you posted a few weeks ago are great if you sub chicken for the pork. I made it that way from my son's birthday party this weekend when we had guests who don't eat pork. You should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think there is ever any way that I would make this... I'm just skeeved out by the thought of prunes. On lamb. I'm glad it was good, but I can't wrap my poor head around it, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooh! Lamb! We love lamb around here. Can't wait to try this once the lamb sales start for Easter :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great! I just made a ragout of pork and prunes but I bet it would be even better with lamb. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadie - I know what you mean about the prunes ('dried plums'), but you would be surprised. Promise... :) It's the lamb part that's got me skeeved, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Maybe....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2/24/2009

    2 Things. Can you put the lamb (or other meat) in from frozen state or must one defrost first? Other than pork dishes, I hope you get to eat the meals you make! I just recommended your blog to several friends! They are going to love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you Megan!

    ooh, Jen, that's good to know; thank you.

    lol, Sadie!

    Jackie, yes. It's recommended that when cooking with frozen meat you add room temp or warm liquid to stave off the food danger zone thing. Crock-Pot has addressed cooking with frozen meat on their website.
    I prefer using frozen meat because 1. I'm totally lazy, and 2. because it takes about another hour to cook, which provides a bit more wiggle room.

    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was never a lamb fan until I tasted some good quality lamb (read: expensive!) cooked extrememly well. However, if you're still squeamish on the lamb thing, I bet this would be equally good with a pork loin.

    Stephanie -- I was just thinking yesterday that you need a way to link back to some of the recipes from last year so they don't get lost. Then I noticed your link to "one year ago today." What a great idea. I didn't find out about this site until last fall, so I'm waaaaaaay behind. This gives me a chance to see things I wouldn't ordinarily find by skimming the categories or by checking out the alphabetical links (which are also very helpful.)

    Thanks for a great site for us busy, working moms. I send the link to this site to anyone I know who's harried between work, kids activities, etc. Several people have commented what a help this is. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just adore Lamb! Thanks for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you loved it! But I'm totally not a fan of lamb, and the idea of prunes on it totally icks me out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Prunes? I don't think I could make it. I am glad it was good and probally very healthy. I will keep it in the back of my mind as a maybe. You have had other receipes that I totally love though. Maybe you set them up in some type of cook book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I find it funny that so many people are grossed out by the "prunes" and even the "Lamb". Personally I don't recall ever eating either of these items. Maybe it is time that I give them a try. I'm saving this recipe and one day it will happen.
    Thanks for the post. I miss you when you don't send anything out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous2/25/2009

    Oh wow.....I am SOOOO sorry to say this but that does NOT look too appetizing to me. How did you get your kids to eat prunes of all things!! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh you guys are so funny with the prunes!
    We eat them ALL the time. They're good for you, juicy, and are wonderful to munch on straight from the fridge.

    and there's that whole fiber thing... :-)

    xoxox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous2/25/2009

    I have a silly question...do you untie the lamb first or keep it all trussed up?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Carin,
    untie it! If you meat is still frozen and you can't get the string off, run it in hot water to loosen the string, then cut away with kitchen shears.

    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds so good. I happen to have an abundance of homemade "prunes" from last fall. And I have never thought of cooking them with any kind of meat. So this is a must try maybe for the weekend....now if I can just find some nice lamb. Tisha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous2/25/2009

    I don't usually care for lamb, but boy do I love some prunes! I have got to try this!

    My mom used to make sort of a prune jam and although we only had it on toast or pancakes, I bet this will bring back the childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous2/25/2009

    I Love this site! I put your link in my post today on SMOKIN' POT! (which I what I call my crock pot because it is SMOKIN'!

    I also added you on my sidebar- this is a great place!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love love love prunes!! i just don't like lamb. hmmmmm maybe beef?

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL - this may have been your favorite so far this year, but it has to be the most unappetizing looking recipes I've seen on your blog! No offense.

    I love shopping for lamb at the market with my dd9. It drives her nuts when I cruise the meat section, calling out "baaah, baaah". If you can't have fun embarrassing your children, what's the point in having them in the first place?

    Thanks for keeping the blog going - I come back to it regularly to make old favorites, and get new recipes. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous2/26/2009

    I bet this would be good with deer meat too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous2/26/2009

    Dear Crockpot Lady,

    How have I gone this long without reading your blog and seeing your lovely recipes. You are now bookmarked, both on my computer and in my heart!

    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those who are squeamish about cooking with prunes should try Silver Palate's "Chicken Marabella" aka chicken with prunes....absolutely delicious. Will convert prune haters into lovers!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous2/26/2009

    I cook with prunes a lot ... I mean A LOT. They're especially good with braised meats, like this, but I chop them up in rice or couscous too. They skate the line between sweet and savory so well. And yes -- Chicken Marbella is a fantastic recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I came across your blog on the Dallas Morning News website this afternoon and have been cruising your recipes all afternoon (while working - ahem). I'm excited and can't wait to give some a try! Unfortunately will have to pass on the lamb with prumes as I don't eat anything with legs.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great job on GMA! I've been wanting to try that breakfast casarole, but just haven't. Now I really need to!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Are you going to post something about your TV experience? I couldn't watch it.
    Thanks, a new reader, from Mexico
    Mazdee

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous10/01/2009

    looks like a great recipe...I just found your website and love it already! What about dried apricots for all those who have issues with prunes?

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was just preparing William-Sonoma's leg of lamb recipe, which calls for wrapping the leg in aluminum foil and roasting for 4 hours in a 200 degree oven. I thought that sounded like something that could be done in a slow cooker. Low and behold, here you have it, requiring the same time (4 hours). So I added the prunes I had (maybe 1 cup) to the rub I'd already made: garlic, oregano, cinnamon, bay leaves, salt and pepper. I'll let you know if the prunes are good with the Greek herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  33. T from Oz9/08/2010

    Hi, I feel like I've arrived late to this party - I have only just stumbled across your website. Thanks Steph for so many inspirational recipes ... I'm not confident in the kitchen and I love the fact that you've done all the experimenting for me.

    I've had a big giggle reading through the comments for this recipe especially. :)

    Here in Australia, Lamb is almost a staple in our diet ... seeing so many eww yuck remarks just cracks me up!

    I'm actually trying another of your Crock Pot Roast Lamb recipes for dinner, it's simmering away at the moment and smells delicious ... honey and rosemary, Yum! It's been on low for five hours and appears cooked already.

    9 Sept 2010, 3pm

    ReplyDelete
  34. This has become our staple Christmas Dinner. If you think you don't like prunes, this recipe will for sure change your mind. We season some flour, lightly coat the lamb chunks, and brown them a day in advance. This dish is supremely decadent, and served with mashed potatoes, you'll really feel like you're in a fine dining establishment eating the fanciest item on the menu! Can't emphasize enough how well this combo works together - very mediterranean! Thank you for sharing this dish and creating a new tradition for our family.

    ReplyDelete