CrockPot Honey and Apricot Glazed Duck


Day 350.

Duck. It's what's for dinner. I had planned on making a duck (or 2) this year, but sort of forgot about it until Kiy emailed me last week. She wanted to make a duck for Christmas, but the last duck she made created a huge mess in the oven. I hate messes.

This didn't make a mess, but duck has SO much juice in it, that it did fall off the bones, even with a short cooking time and not much added liquid. The meat is delicious, but you just aren't going to get the same presentation when it comes out of a crockpot as you do when it comes out of an oven. Or when a restaurant serves it. That said, the sweetness of the meat was great, and the kid who tasted it thought it was just like chicken.


The Ingredients.
--4 to 5 lb duck
--1/2 tsp oregano
--1/4 tsp pepper
--1 tsp garlic salt
--1/2 tsp lemon rind
--2 tsp cornstarch

--1/3 cup apricot preserves
--1 T soy sauce (La Choy and Tamari wheat-free are GF)
--2 T honey
--2 T lemon juice


The Directions.


Skin the duck, and remove the neck and giblets (ick). I'm getting much better at skinning things! I deserve a merit badge. The skin on a duck is quite fatty on the breast, but the back is bony and I had a hard time removing the skin from it. I chose to leave a bit of skin on the wings and drumsticks to see if they would brown.

They didn't. There was a lot of juice in the pot.
If you have a little rack that fits inside your crockpot, use it. I don't have one, but today I'm going to dig around and see what I can use---maybe the little steamer rack thing from the rice cooker? Updated 12/16: You DO need a little rack. Read what I did, here.

Mix all dry spices, including cornstarch and lemon rind in a small bowl. Rub mixture all over the duck, inside and out. Place the duck in your crockpot ( breast down--I used a 6 quart). Use the same bowl (might as well) to mix the wet ingredients together. Pour over the top of the duck.
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or until a meat thermometer registers 165-180 degrees.

The Verdict.


I haven't eaten much duck. I liked this, but it wouldn't be something that I eat often. The meat is sort of greasy for my taste. The glaze was good, and I think next time I'm going to double the sauce, to have extra for dipping, or to spoon over the top of the finished duck. My kids really liked the sauce a lot. "Peking Duck," coming up tomorrow! I think.

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at December 15, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. I love your blog. This was such a great idea. I wish I had discovered it at the beginning of your journey instead of Day 350. I thought it was so great I put a link to your blog in mine. You can see it here if you like: http://mommydaddysavers.com/blog/?p=118

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12/15/2008

    Did you save the skin! That is best part, you can render the fat and use it for sauting It is sooo good. Everything browns nicely in it and it doesn't burn too high flash point I think its called. You will never use butter again on home fries or such. This may work for 2 ducks I have in the freezer that were a gift from a hunter friend. Otherwise I need the crispy skin on duck which may not happen in the crock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't tried this one yet, but am wondering do you have plans to compile your year's worth of recipes and get them published? I haven't copied every post but do enjoy looking for something on your blog - when I'm needing an idea for dinner.

    Over the week-end I made two batches of the seasoned nuts (Day 341 - can't find a date) and they were fabulous and "inhaled" by my guests Saturday night. Thanks.
    Good wishes
    Marne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12/15/2008

    I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to skin a duck, but I've loved all the other recipes I've tried.

    As a side note, it appears that Campbell's has changed some ingredients, and Pace and Prego products are no longer gluten free. I was going to make your Salsa Chicken and Black Bean soup, and I noticed you showed Pace picante sauce in the photo. The link below lists other products that have changed.

    http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=53661&st=0&start=0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jean,

    I DID hear that information about the Pace and Campbell's. Quite disturbing. It seems sometimes the legal dept goes overboard with certain things, imo.
    It's a good reminder to always, always read labels.
    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may try a what I have in the frig version this week. How about chicken thighs and orange marmalade as a substitute? Sounds like a good mix.
    I can't wait to get my new Crockpot for Christmas. I just working with a 4 quart slow cooker that's not programable. I can't wait!
    THANKS for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12/15/2008

    I cook a whole chicken in the crock pot almost weekly. If your crock-pot is large enough, I have found using a "bed" of whole unpeeled potatoes (or even skinny unpeeled sweet potatoes) on the bottom keeps the chicken up out of its juice and at the same time I end up with a nice side dish. You can drain, rinse or peel the pototoes to rid them of the oil if desired. Sometimes I throw a whole head of unpeeled garlic into the cavity of the bird (to keep the garlic from soaking in too much juice) cooking that at the same time. It doesn't season the bird, but roasted garlic is scrumptious with the potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog. I was thinking that maybe a vegetable steamer might work as a rack...you know, one of those that collapses in on itself, that is shaped like a spaceship? I'm thinking it would fit - you could just open it up as far as the pot would let you and put the duck in there - it just might be a pain to clean, but it's metal, so could probably go in the dishwasher.

    I'm making 3 of your recipes tomorrow for a potluck that we're having at work (garlic dip, brie with apricots & white bean/pesto dip). Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12/15/2008

    On the subject of skinning...it's a lot easier to grab a hold of the skin and pull if you use a paper towel. This is especially useful for chicken legs and the like. This is a tip I got from my dearly departed grandmother. Not as environmentally friendly, perhaps and doing without, but EASIER and IMHO easier is better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why in the name of all that's good would you cook duck to 180F?

    Duck does not suffer from the bugs that chicken and turkey do.

    Duck can be served medium rare with no problems.

    You need to try a pan roasted duck breast, it's like eating a good steak. And you leave the skin on, not greasy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Charles,
    I got that info from here.

    --steph

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to give a crock pot meal as a gift. What dry ingredients would you suggest packaging up attractively with directions only being "add water" or "add chicken?"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12/16/2008

    I am really going to miss your daily entries. I check your blog regularly and I am going to go through withdrawal when this year ends.

    Want to shoot for two years?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Steph, thanks so much for this! I am not at all sure I am brave enough to skin a duck, however. Of course, hubby would do it for me but that would ruin the surprise. This does look good though, and I am with the other poster - the sauce alone would be awesome on chicken too!

    Gal, you rock. Thanks again!

    Kiy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Overall we followed your recipe. We didn't have a rack for the bottom so we added chunks of onion and ginger to buffer at the bottom which ended up tasting really good with it. Towards the end of the cooking cycle, we added white beans. The glaze was amazing and we made extra like you recommended! We loved this meal and the flavor was amazing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete