CrockPot Cherries Jubilee



Day 349.

I am still having photo uploading issues.

I'm working on it, and fingers are crossed that in a few hours everything will be good to go.

I wasn't planning on making Cherries Jubilee yesterday, but the kids and I were watching a Paula Deen episode and she made some.

Adam was already at the grocery store (buying duck! ack!) so we called him and had him bring home some canned cherries.

It's a good thing, too, because the ducks were so frozen they bounced on the kitchen counter.


The Ingredients.



  • 2 T butter, melted
  • 1 T cornstarch
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans pitted black cherries in heavy syrup, but NOT pie filling
  • 2 T white sugar
  • 1/4 tsp lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup brandy (optional)
  • vanilla ice cream


The Directions.

I used a 1 quart crockpot.

Melt butter in the microwave, and whisk in cornstarch until it's completely dissolved.

Drain cans of cherries, and add to crockpot.

Pour in cornstarch mixture.

Add sugar and lemon zest.

No need to stir.

If you're going to add the brandy, do so now.

Cook on high for 2 hours, and serve hot over vanilla ice cream.

Paula lit her cherries jubilee on fire to burn off the alcohol.


I tried to do that, but it didn't work, and I ended up getting cherry juice all over my long wand-lighter thingy and now it doesn't ignite.

I wouldn't put the brandy in if you are going to serve to small children.


The Verdict.

This was a fun dessert.

I made two batches, one with and one without the brandy.

The brandy one tastes like it has brandy in it, and I liked the plain one better.

I wish the fire part would have worked, that would have been cool.

I'm off to skin a duck.


Do you love this recipe?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at December 14, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this recipe

  1. sounds like a lot of fun. good luck w/ the duck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12/14/2008

    Oh, I have to try this! It reminds me of the book 'Dealing with Dragons.' Cherry Jubilee was Kazul (one of the dragons) favorite dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of cherries? Bing cherries or the sour cherries?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard my gramma say "slicker than the skin of duck"

    How cool would it have been to light yoru food on fire, that's not something to one does everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog... I've never used my crockpot so much before this year! On the cherries jubilee, I think if you want to flambe, you don't add the brandy until the end. Warm it up, pour it in, light it on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are we looking forward to a duck a la crockpot recipe for tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  7. ACK!! You have to SKIN a duck?? I just bought one today for Christmas Eve. Believe it or not, my 16 yo son LOVES duck...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12/14/2008

    Wow! I never heard of a dessert in a crockpot. Very clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm, that sounds good. I watch your blog, but don't always comment. Now, you're sure it's not pie cherries? I already have some frozen black cherries from our tree, so I'm going to have to give it a try. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds delectable dahling...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paula Deen always forgets to show the correct way to flame alcohol. If you pour some into a metal ladle then light it, then pour it into the dish to be flamed. It makes it much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12/15/2008

    Oh, Bad for Duck but Hoorah for your Hubby! Sounds likes the ultimate Christmas Dinner! Unless you have 2....don't waste it! YOU ARE ALMOST DONE! Love, Cindylepp (from allrecipes.com) in Kentucky!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to laugh when I read your blog this a.m.! I watched saw the Paula Deen show to and told my hubby that I was going to make the cherries jubilee too this week..looks delish in the crockpot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you want to light the brandy, you must add it after cooking. Cooking will evaporate the alcohol from the brandy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous12/15/2008

    I have to tell you, I just found your blog last weekend, and I have been skimming through constantly. So far I've made 2 different recipes (Dijon & Maple syrup Chicken with sweet potatoes and the Black Bean soup) and I've also, thanks to you, had the desire to make 2 other crock pot recipes... all in one week. (crock pot oatmeal and the bean soup medley from Trader Joes.)
    My Mom and I are both huge crock pot fans, and we always love new recipes. If you're up for a new one, let me know and I'll write it up for you. Its a pot roast recipe but delicious!
    Thanks for all the wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey There-- Where do you buy your cherries? They look like Costco cans, but I haven't seen them in the store before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Girl Fisher,

    Adam bought them at a local store, Lunardis, in the canned fruit section.

    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  18. FINALLY a print button!!! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't have ny brandy...would Amaretto work?

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Nicol, sounds good to me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Crystal1/02/2012

    I didn't read the note above regarding the anonymous comments. So I'll repost. Didn't one of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles books have the recipe for cherry jubilee? Exactly the way the dragon, Kazul like it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jeremy5/22/2012

    When I made this the first time, I didn't get the fire effect either. I think it was due to my mixing in the brandy with everything else. I also think that if I let it "pool" in the mixture, then lit it, I not only would have gotten the fire effect, I would've had a substantially less alcohol taste.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can I flambé while it is in the crock pot, or will it damage it?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Susanna, I used a barbecue lighter right in the ceramic insert --- I'd recommend removing the insert from the cooking element and keeping the flame far away from the cord, etc.

    ReplyDelete