CrockPot Corn Risotto Recipe


Day 310.

I got this recipe from Terri (who gave use the awesome 3-packet roast) and she got it from the Dallas Morning News.

I made risotto earlier in the year, and was quite impressed with the results. Usually making risotto is quite a pain (I've been told. I haven't actually made any on the stove top because after reading the directions, I need a nap.), but it's quite easy in the crockpot. You plug it in and turn it on.

The Ingredients.

--1 1/4 cup arborio rice
--1 T olive oil
--1 T butter
--1 tsp onion flakes
--4 chopped cloves of garlic
--4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
--package of frozen corn (16 oz)
--1 tsp salt
--1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, depending on taste

to add later:
--1/4 cup heavy cream (I used fat free half and half)
--1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

The Directions.

I used a 4 quart crockpot.

Put the tablespoon of olive oil into the bottom of the crockpot, and swirl the rice and the onion flakes in it.

Chop the garlic and add, along with the salt and cayenne pepper. Add the frozen corn and the broth. Stir well. Drop in a pat of butter.

Cover and cook on high for about 2 hours, checking every 45 minutes or so. This is done when the liquid has absorbed and the rice is tender.

Unplug, and add the cream and parmesan cheese. Cover for 5 minutes, or until cheese melts completely.

Serve.

The Verdict.

Creamy and delicious. I didn't serve this right away and my rice sort of disintegrated, but it still tasted wonderful. The kids said it was like corn oatmeal, and they're right---it kind of is. The first risotto I made came out with a better texture, but this was fun to try and had a neat creamed corn flavor.

Thank you, Terri!

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at November 05, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Mmm, this sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11/05/2008

    i've had risotto once. it was served at prom and it was very good. i like the corn in this one just because i really love creamed corn, so this is probably somewhat similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11/05/2008

    This does sound very good.

    I have made it on the stovetop MANY times... which makes me hesitant to try it in the crock... but I trust your judgment, so maybe I'll give it a whirl :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe sounds absolutely delicious. I usually serve some kind of corn dish at Thanksgiving and I think this would be a fun twist on that, plus cooking it in the crockpot frees up some of the coveted stove/oven space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arborio rice can be quite expensive, so for those of us being frugal, I buy the rice in the Hispanic section..the La Prefereda brand. It's called something like Pearl rice. Works wonderfully for MUCH cheaper! As for gluten, you'd have to check, of course. I don't watch for that so have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By "check on" every 45 minutes, do you mean stir it?
    BTW, I'm in love with your site. I've been cooking so much more for my family.
    If you are looking for something different for next year, you can do cool stuff in a rice cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi David's Wife!
    I lifted the lid, and used a fork to remove a rice grain or two. They were still crunchy until right at the 2 hr mark. I didn't really stir, but I don't think it's a big deal if you want to.

    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you know that if you eat this, the corn will come out whole in your poop? We just studied this in biology: the corn kernal husk/case is made of cellulose which the body can not digest so it goes all the way thru ya.

    Think of that as you're eating your fancy pants risotto. =) And I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11/05/2008

    What a delicious-sounding recipe!

    I've been reading your blog for months and just found out a couple of weeks ago that I might have celiac disease. Because of you, I have some wonderful, EASY recipes to try. Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Any suggestions on substitutions for arborio rice. I like to stay with brown rice, but the asian market just got this new stuff and I bought some hoping that I could try that.

    I really want to try the breakfast one.!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a new reader. Can't wait to try this one, only I'll use real cream, it really is much better/healthier for us than "fat free half & half".

    ReplyDelete
  12. You rock...Love the blog...im following you, honey! I need some easy cooking! Glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry to bother you, but I have a question about your blog NOT pertaining to the crockpot.

    I just found your website listed in a Blog her newsletter I received; I've just become a member.

    HOW do you get 3 columns on your blog? I dont know how!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found your website and am making this to go with our dinner tonight. Thank you for such a great site. I put this recipe on my blog, and a link back to you, since I love using my crock pot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made this one last week. I think mine had too much garlic. I would mince it and use half the amount next time. I used a real chopped onion instead of flakes and I think that was the only substitution. Also, the amount of red pepper was way too much (I used cayenne not flakes, which I think was right).

    I was hoping my kids would eat it but the garlic and heat were too much. I might try it again and see if I can get the seasonings right, because I've got a big box of arborio rice to use up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE this recipe! My family loved it so much, I had to make it two days in a row so my 5-year-old could eat more. (I wasn't sad about that.)

    I love this site and have referred people to it many times, starting with my fave right here!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is an excellent recipe! Loved it! Mine was actually done perfectly in 1 hour and 45 minutes. I used my large crockpot, so that might account for the shorter cooking time! Thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! Loved this, I used brown rice and added to the cooking time. Best use of brown rice yet and made it a not so guilty pleasure! Makes a good breakfast too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! I love love love your blog. It has been so beneficial to me over the last 9 months, as we have added a new baby to the home! A quick question about this recipe: does it freeze well? I'm trying to have more quick meals on hand for lunches and such! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  20. good morning! You know, I really don't know for sure because I haven't tried freezing this particular dish, but my gut tells me it'll be just fine. Corn is pretty hearty, and the cream will freeze and reheat well. I've been pretty impressed at how many foods freeze nicely after being cooked (just don't freeze raw potatoes! :-) )
    I hope this helps a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OK, I made this, and in three years of cooking MANY things from your blog, this was only the first or second epic fail. I'm eating it because I refuse to throw away food that isn't somehow toxic or beyond terrible, but it is corn/rice glue. I'm not even going to try to figure out where it went wrong, because I followed the instructions to the letter -- I even measured!! Gordon Ramsay would have screamed over it, though, that's for sure, and he wouldn't have even called it a failed risotto. Oh well. The rest of your site has been great to me and my family and I am not deterred. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made this for Thanksgiving Day. I used brown rice, which was great. It was ruined by the onion flakes. Do not add them!

    ReplyDelete