CrockPot Baked Oatmeal Recipe


Day 331.

Thanksgiving is tomorrow. I think I'm in denial.

If you're looking for tried-and-true CrockPot Holiday (any holiday!) Dishes, here's a list.

Today, however, I'm posting about baked oatmeal. I started making baked oatmeal when my first was about a year old and I was working out of the house. The mornings were never long enough, and I wanted her to have something hearty (and healthy) for breakfast. I'd make a pan on the weekend and cut off squares each morning for her to eat in the car.
It worked really well.

Baked oatmeal can be uber-healthy, or packed with sugar. I've cut the sugar and butter in half since I first started making it. If you think your family will meet this with resistance, start with a full cup of brown sugar (no need to double the butter in the crockpot, there's plenty of moisture) and then cut it back each time. You can sneak in nuts (ground or whole), extra grains, fresh and dried fruit, and protein powder.

The Ingredients.

--3 cups rolled (not instant) oats (if gluten free, make sure they are certified)
--1/2 cup brown sugar
--2 tsp cinnamon
--2 tsp baking powder
--1 tsp salt
--2 T flax meal (optional)
--1 cup milk
--2 eggs
--2 tsp vanilla
--1/4 cup butter, melted
--3/4 cup dried fruit

updated 11/29: if you are going to use steel-cut oats, you'll need more liquid. I don't know how much though, so if you figure it out, let me know! :-)

The Directions.

I used a 4 quart round crockpot. You're baking this, but no need to vent the lid of the crock; keep all the moisture in.

I really wanted this to take 6 hours on low so I could see if it could be done overnight. It took 4 3/4 on low for me----so unless you hardly sleep, do this in the day time so you can keep an eye on it.

Mix all the ingredients together in the crockpot. I dumped in all the dry stuff, then added the melted butter and milk. Stir well with a spoon---make sure the baking powder gets dispersed evenly.

Cover and cook on low for 3-5 hours, checking every so often. This is done when the edges are brown and are beginning to crust, and the center is set. An inserted knife should come out clean.

Let it sit in the cooling crockpot for at least an hour before attempting to cut. The longer you let it sit, the more set and brownie-like the pieces will be.

The Verdict.

I made this on Sunday evening and it's already all gone. The kids hadn't had it in a while and had a bunch for breakfast each day and wanted it for dessert last night. The flavor is like a great big oatmeal cookie. I like mine heated with my morning coffee, and Adam likes to crumble his on top of yogurt.

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at November 26, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Oooh, first commenter!!! Yes, yes, and yes. I will definitely be trying this one.
    I saw a recipe for a rocky road chocolate cake in the crockpot in the last Southern Living issue. I totally thought of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I will be trying this one!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy, hope to try this soon! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh I love this one!! I have been having such a hard time trying to find something healthy and quick to feed the girl in the morning- eggos and nutri grain bars just don't seem healthy enough to me, but that's what it always seems like she ends up eating, since it's all we have time for! Thanks for the great idea, I will DEFINITELY be making this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11/26/2008

    To cut the fat content, try subbing applesauce for the oil/butter, then use a pat of butter on top after rewarming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11/26/2008

    Thank you so much for all the great recipes! My 8 month old loves the yogurt, as do I. I just finished my breakfast of crockpot yogurt mixed with crockpot granola. I'm excited to try this one. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11/26/2008

    This is also awesome with some crushed pineapple thrown in...

    ReplyDelete
  8. this sounds like just the ticket for us. neither of us is motivated enough in the morning to cook breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a quick healthy breakfast/snack! Will be trying this soon.
    Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11/26/2008

    Do you think this could work in a bigger crockpot? It sounds fantastic....

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS: I gave you some awards. Come and check em out if you wanna :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you use rolled or steel-cut? It might work overnight with steel-cut.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm commenting for the first time but have been reading for a couple weeks. I had just broken out my corckpot for the first time a couple weeks ago and was so happy with the results that I started searching for more recipes. I came across your site and was thrilled to see so many options. And then when I discovered that you cook gluten free I almost fell out of my chair with joy! I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 12 months ago and am always looking for new ideas. I can't wait to try this baked oatmeal! Thanks for all of your brilliant suggestions! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this and all other recipes! I found your blog about 10 days ago, and I am hooked! A friend of mine found it about a month ago...you are such a blessing considering I love my crock-pot but I don't know what to do with it. What are your plans for the new year? Will you keep posting at least occaionally (please!). I had set a goal through the fall and winter that I would use my crock pot at least 1X/week, and I have been. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! I might end up using my crock pot even more often!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw this recipe and left the computer to go straight to the kitchen and throw this together. The house is starting to smell wonderful and I will (hopefully) have a yummy, healthy snack for my little boy when he gets home from school. I threw in a couple-few chocolate chips because that immediately turns it from "healthy snack" into "treat." We'll see how it turns out...

    ReplyDelete
  16. So, is the texture of this like a granola bar or oatmeal? Can you pick it up and eat it or do you have to use a spoon - just wasn't sure? It looks delish and I can't wait to try it out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so funny! I just posted about making baked oatmeal for the first time today...not in the CP though. Sounds good though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this sounds great but i wish it could be overnight - nice to wake up to oatmeal in the morning...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never head of baked oatmeal before, but it sounds dee-lish! I must find gluten-free... I really miss my morning mixed grain hot cereal, and this could be a great sub.
    One question: when it's cooling, do you leave the lid on to keep the moisture in?
    Thanks for another great recipe to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Zoe, yes, this would work in a larger crockpot, you just need to keep an eye on it, since it will cook faster.

    Quinn, good question! I took the lid off to quicken the cooling and release the steam.
    xxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  21. that. sounds. delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Stephanie!
    There's a surprise for you at http://southerndiningdiva.blogspot.com/2008/11/lemonade-awards.html!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ooh this is a must try. I'm generally not an oatmeal fan but if you say it's cookie like then it should be good.

    ReplyDelete
  24. We LOVE oatmeal in the crok pot! If you want a creamy type oatmeal I cook mine in a in a bowl that will fit in my crock pot then pour water around it. The oatmeal comes out creamy and yummy and we top it with honey.

    :2 cups steel cut oats
    :1/2 cup brown sugar (or raw sugar if using raw use a bit less)
    :I sneek in some flax seed
    :4 cups of water, milk or a mix. I use skim milk or soy milk
    :vanilla
    :I cook mine on LOW for 8 hours or overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds delicious! We're big After School Snackers around here. These bars would be great for that.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My father-in-law uses a 1 qt crock pot every night for his steele cut oats. When I tried it, my pot was too hot, so I used a timer for about 4 hours. Now I make it in my (shhhh don't tell anyone) rice cooker with a timer. Sometimes, the smell wakes me in the morning.

    This looks great though, and will try it next week after I make it through tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is perfect for tomorrow morning, as I HATE making breakfast when I'm gonna be spending the rest of the day in the kitchen, but I want something yummy on holiday mornings. Anything coming out of a crock is easy!!
    THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your timing is impeccable.

    I was intending to make baked oatmeal for the first time ever on Friday morning. However, I was still searching for just the right recipe. I hadn't yet searched your archives (just discovered your blog about a month ago.)

    I've got it in my head to make pumpkin baked oatmeal, as my freezer is overflowing with cooked, pureed pumpkin. Now I imagine I'll modify your recipe and come up with something really yummy!

    It's difficult to make any positive comment and not sound like an echo to your myriad of fans. I, too, found this blog FAR later than I would have liked. I, too, LOVE using my crockpot and have been searching for more recipes (the crockpot cookbooks I've found really leave much to be desired.) I, too, cook gluten-free and mostly healthy, and was DELIGHTED to discover you cook that way as well. I, too, love shopping at TJ's, New Seasons, and Whole Foods. Blah, blah, blah.

    Thank you for taking on this challenge and sharing with the world. You have provided an incredible service and HUGE blessing!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous11/26/2008

    Do you think throwing in some chocolate chips will change it at all? Will they melt? You've turned me into the crockpot queen, Stephanie! (But I'm still a little chicken about changing your recipes...) Don't go away in January - I will miss you too much!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous11/27/2008

    I have been addicted to your website for months but have never posted until know. I saw this recipe last night and was so excited that I had all the ingredients to make it. What a great thanksgiving morning treat! I did mix some powdered sugar with a little water so I could drizzle icing over the kids pieces. They were thrilled since it mimiced the cereal bars they love (the ones loaded with sugar). The kids along with my husband and I have eaten more than half of it already. The kids are having a second helping now.

    Do you think if I double the recipe and use a 6 quart crockpot it might cook on low through the night?

    Also, I made the creme brulee last night. I will be browning the sugar when we get to our dinner destination today. I am a little concerned. When it was about 2 hours into the cooking time the water and the creme brulee were bubbling. Was that suppose to happen? Was my crockpot too hot?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Kim,

    I think if you were to double the baked oatmeal recipe, it would be best to keep it in a 4 quart crockpot if you'd like it to cook longer. Bigger crockpots cook faster not because they're bigger, but because there is less food per square inch to cook.

    Did the creme brulee eventually set? I'm glad you were home. Yes, I've had bubbles and boiling in the new 6.5 quart---but not with the 5.5 or 6 quart. I think it's just the bigger cooking-faster for the ratio of food thing again. I've been able to control that by lifting the lid and leaving it off for a while, then re-lidding.

    my fingers are crossed!

    I LOVE the idea of the powdered sugar frosting; what a fantastic idea. I'm going to try that next time.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think you've just saved my sanity! I don't eat breakfast and it's a big challenge to find something easy and healthy for my boys to eat, but I'm for sure trying this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous11/28/2008

    If you use steel cut oats it needs more liquid. I'm over in South Korea and oats are really hard to find (except instant). I've been smuggling it in my luggage back - down to my last few cups. I was so sad to try it and find out that it was dry and crumbly.

    Love the blog. Sad about the oatmeal. I have enough left for one more go - can anyone recommend liquid amounts?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous11/28/2008

    Unfortunately the creme brulee did not set. When we cut into it it was very watery. It tasted great but the consistency was unappealing. Do you think it was because it cooked too quickly? I find when I use one of your recipes if I cook it on low for the length of time you suggest for high it comes out perfect. I definitely want to give this another try. It is my mom's favorite dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Anon, is it possible it was cooked too long? I use steel-cut oats; the gluten free ones in the house are steel cut. We are at sea level, so there is moisture in the air, so if you think it does need more liquid, maybe just add 1 tablespoon or so---I wouldn't overdo it.

    Kim, yuck. I'm so so sorry. The creme brulee gets set when it's cooking, not in the refrigerator. I made the same mistake with the last cheesecake----I went more by cooking time than by texture and appearance. I'm so sorry. I know you had issues with the water in the crockpot boiling, which is terribly alarming. I'm so sorry.
    If you're up for giving it a go again, you can vent the crock just a bit with a chopstick to release the steam and pressure. Cook it until the edges have set completely and have turned just a teensy tad brown and the center is practically set.

    again, so sorry.
    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  36. I made this yesterday and it was yummy! Adding chocolate chips didn't work as well as I'd hoped. They just kind of melted away and my kid couldn't see them, so he wasn't interested. I also cheated and cooked it on high instead of low, so the center was too soft and the edges were too hard. I'll be making this again, though - as written!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous11/29/2008

    Steph: Thanks again for all you do.

    I agree with the previous poster regarding the steel cut oats needing more liquid. I added an additional cup of milk a couple of hours into the cooking process and the oats are still uncomfortably chewy. They do smell really good though. :-) I'll definitely make this again, but will use rolled oats next time. I suggest 2 additional cups of liquid for people who want to try it with steel cut oats. Or perhaps a combination of steel cut oats with rolled oats and slightly more liquid than the original recipe?

    Thanks again for your great work!

    ReplyDelete
  38. huh! well there you go: I have no idea. ;-)

    I'll fix the recipe to reflect using rolled oats. Thank you!
    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous11/29/2008

    Made this today - it turned out wonderful! I'm especially excited about the versatility. Could be breakfast, a snack, or with cool whip for dessert! A keeper for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I've been reading your blog for months and have recommended it to EVERYONE! I just LOVE this recipe. I made it as written, and put packaged, chopped dates in it (I do not like cooked raisins). Definitely a keeper. And it reheats well in the microwave also. I think I'll try dried apples next time!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I have made this twice this week! My 1 year old Triplets LOVE it. I shredded raw carrot in it and added walnuts and raisins. It came our great, very moist. They usually eat it as a snack. I used my bigger crockpot the first time and it was overcooked. The second time I used the smaller one (4 qt) and it worked very well.

    ReplyDelete
  42. So bummed, I made it and it smelled just divine, BUT not sure if I over cooked it (if that's possible) but it was super dry, piecey and sadly - quite bland? Not sure what I did wrong??? Ah well ... I've made plenty other of your delish recipes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I am going to link this to my blog - I hope you don't mind. I LOVE the idea of this and I am trying it this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I had really high hopes for this! I used steel cut oats and added and extra cup of milk. Since I've never made it before, I didn't know what it was supposed to turn out like. It was mushy and dry and tasteless. I watched it because I was worried about overcooking. It might just need rolled oats.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Anonymous12/01/2008

    Hi! I made this yesterday and it turned out FABULOUS! I used the full cup of sugar and all the butter, but I think I will cut the butter next time. Maybe I will try to sub some applesauce too as someone suggested. I did not add any fruit b/c DH doesn't like raisins/craisins, but I think it would be even better with the fruit. I used a 6 qt crockpot and set my timer for 2 1/2 hours. It was done perfectly at this time. It does not have the perfect consistancy of a "bar", but darn close. I LOVE this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  46. mrs. mikell says-tried w/quick-cooking rolled oats. WAS UNBELIEVABLY GREAT!.have given tastes to a few ('cause it's too good to share). am now making w/old-fashioned rolled oats and added walnuts. can't wait for results!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anonymous12/02/2008

    I am so glad I came across this blog! I will be making this today! I LOVE my crockpot. Rocky Road Chocolate Cake in the cp?? Oh my! I must find that recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Anonymous12/04/2008

    Loved this one Steph! Had 2 crockpots going today with 2 of your recipes. btw, i used mostly brown sugar twin and it still came out fine!

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Anonymous12/05/2008

    Fabulous recipe....couldn't locate GF oatmeal so used quinoa flakes instead and it was delicious. Second time I used 2 cups quinoa flakes, 1/2 cup flax seed meal & 1/2 cup coconut in place of the oatmeal and it was terrific. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Anonymous12/05/2008

    I tried it with steel cut oats, increased the liquid, kept increasing the liquid, and it most emphatically did not turn out.
    Now I've got rolled oats and am making it again. It looks completely different and MUCH more appetizing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  51. This was super-yummy and impressed the crew that came over for dinner tonight. "In the crockpot?" they all asked. I still don't think they believed me, but they ate it and raved. Thanks so much for this - have been looking for something healthy and easy to serve hubby in the AM - this definitely fits the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I finally tried this and loved it! But I have a question...I used rolled oats and a 6 quart crocker. By the time I thought the middle was done, the edges were burnt. I'm happy to double the recipe (or increase by 50%) if that's the solution. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  53. We thought it was a bit bland, too, as written, but next time will use the full sugar and more cinnamon--and maybe some applesauce. I could tell that the flavors I liked were there--just not enough of them. (Didn't stop me from sprinkling a little more sugar on them and eating them anyway, though!) But definitely use rolled oats (I used thick rolled oats w/ no problem).

    BTW, steel-cut oats usually need 3x as much liquid as rolled, along w/ a much longer cooking time.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I made this over the weekend. I was a little surprised because I was expecting something sort of thin, similar to a granola bar or a cookie, but in my 4 quart crock it was about 3 to 4 inches thick!

    Overall, my version turned out a little weird. This is mostly the fault of my crockpot, which apparently cooks unevenly. On one side of the pot it was completely cooked and even a bit on the dry side, but the other side of the pot wasn't completely cooked and therefore you could taste the baking powder fairly strongly.

    On the cooked side, the flavor was great but the product was dry. The dried fruit plumped up to a really nice moist texture. My one-year old likes snacking on the baked oatmeal, but he's the only one eating it straight.

    I have been pouring milk over the crumbled leftovers (both the cooked and raw parts!) and heating it up in the microwave to make a delicious, quick, and hearty oatmeal breakfast.

    I would make this again, but probably in a 9x13 pan in the oven so that I get something more bar-like.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I just did this recipe for the first time..it's sitting in the crock as i type this (just turned it off so it's cooling).... i inserted a knife and it's MUSHY... the edges are dark brown, almost burnt, so i knew this was done. I guess i was expecting a cookie thing, but it's somewhat inbetween a cookie and a brownie , consistency-wise.. is this what I should be expecting? It smells good regardless....! I need to wait an hour at least and then i'll see how it tastes...

    ReplyDelete
  56. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I halved the recipe (as my husband doesn't like oatmeal) and it worked just fine. What a great breakfast option!

    ReplyDelete
  57. This recipe looks awesome. Great for a healthy breakfast on the run. Do you think it would freeze well... so I can double the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  58. Just came across your site today. Fantastic!

    I happened to have all the ingredients for this particular recipe so I made it. I'll have to go on the hunt for a smaller CP as mine is way too big. Therefore, the edges were burnt and the middle was too soft.

    It smelled incredible though and look forward to trying it again!

    I certainly hope you don't stop now!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Anonymous3/03/2009

    Okay, the second I saw this I knew I had to try it--and it's awesome!

    I made a couple of changes: first of all, I couldn't bring myself to put all that butter in, so I replaced most of it with applesauce (homemade in the crockpot, thank you very much). I also didn't have as much time, so I cooked it on high instead of low. FWIW, the verdict: the applesauce was a GREAT thing, except that possibly the omission of the butter meant that greasing the crock would have been a good move. And cooking on high was maybe not such a great thing, even though it took only 1.5 hours--it was too done on the outside but perfect in the middle. Unless I just cooked too long...but this is DEFINITELY a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Well, it looks like I'm more than a little late to the party, but I just found this recipe last night. I'm looking for something to help my 15yo son get good nutrition for breakfast on the run.

    I didn't add dried fruit since I knew he'd probably say, "Ew!" to that. So, I just made it "plain."

    I have a 6-qt slow cooker -- Hamilton Beach. I sprayed the crock with cooking spray and set it for 4 hours on low -- I needed it to cook overnight since I didn't even get it in there until about 10:30 last night.

    They turned out great, although one side was perfectly done, and the other side was mushy. I took out the "perfectly done" portion and turned the cooker back on high for about 30 mins. Didn't really help much. Next time I make these -- later today ;-) -- I will plan on rotating the crock 1/2-way through cooking. Also, because I felt they needed more flavor, I'm going to go ahead with the dried fruit, cherries probably, and some lemon zest. I might also throw in some shredded coconut.

    Thanks so much for all the wonderful recipes. I've been planning my weekly menus using your website for at least a month now, and you've really contributed to making my weeks run more smoothly!!

    Oh, and I might have a recipe to pass along to you in the very near future. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  61. NanYoga6/03/2010

    I've made a similar recipe in the oven & this morning I wanted to restock the freezer with oatmeal squares. I proceeded to mix all of the ingredients, then remembered that our NEW GE gas stove was not working. Something about the computer chip that enables the digital stuff to function. Not wanting to waste this wonderful oatmeal, I goggled oatmeal in a crock pot & discovered your blog. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Frau B8/29/2010

    OK so despite seeming to be tasteless stodge as I posted, I didn't realise that this needed to sit wit the lid off for a LONG time - like 2 hours. I mixed it up with a fork "fluffing" if you might, and let it sit until it was dry. It's now like a crumbly oatmeal cake that fell apart. Perfect texture to sprinkle on ice cream, or in yogurt, or eat in a bowl with maple syrup, which is what I've been doing all day. Alllll day. Yum. Thank you. And sorry I called it stodge :/

    ReplyDelete
  63. Oatmeal has been a constant resident in our pantry. This is something new to try. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  64. I made this today, subbing apple butter (we were out of applesauce!) for the butter. Turned out great and much less fat!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Anonymous5/06/2011

    Yummy I made these today but added a pinch of cocoa powder!

    ReplyDelete
  66. I made this the other day. It turned out super dry which made me sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  67. WildHarp10/01/2011

    Trying this right now! One question.....what is the baking powder for? Thanks.......

    ReplyDelete
  68. i found your cookbook in the library about 1 year ago and became an instant fan! I have passed your website around to my friends. Great recipies!

    ReplyDelete
  69. I made this with steel-cut oats today, and after sampling it every half hour or so, and adding more milk as needed, the amount of milk it takes to fully cook 3 cups of steel-cut oats in the slow cooker is 5 cups. I used the full cup of brown sugar, and the 2 tsp cinnamon, but that much milk made it bland, so if you use steel-cut oats, bump up the cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete