CrockPot Pie Recipe


Day 288.

I've wanted to make a fruit pie in the crockpot for a while. I bought a GF pie crust mix from Whole Foods and had every intention in the world of making it.

But then yesterday happened. The kids did not start off well. There was arguing and attitude in the morning, tears on drop-off, and stomping on the way home from school.

It was not pretty.

There was no way no how I could get to the store, and it was already 3 o'clock. I had actually planned on making potato-leek soup, but didn't have potatoes. Or leeks.

So I made pie. I didn't use the mix because it seemed like too much work. I threw this together in exactly 6 1/2 minutes, cleaned the kitchen, then we spent the rest of the day outside playing soccer, turning somersaults, and being goof balls.

After dinner we went for a long walk to look at the full moon (which I've decided has a lot to do with the 'tude) and came home to eat pie in our pajamas.

It was a good day.

The Ingredients.

--2 cans sliced peaches with the juice (15 oz cans)
--1 1/2 cups Bisquick-type mix (I used Pamela's)
--1/2 cup brown sugar
--2 T melted butter
--1 t vanilla
--1/2 tsp cinnamon
--1/4 tsp nutmeg
--1/4 tsp allspice

The Directions.

I used a 4-quart crockpot.

Dump the canned peaches into the bottom of the crock.

In a separate bowl, melt the butter, then add the dry ingredients and vanilla.

Stir with a fork to combine. The topping will be crumbly. I didn't even attempt to work it with my hands to create a smooth crust. I do think it would work, though, if you added some more butter.

Pour mixture on top of peaches, and press down with your hands (I didn't do this, because I didn't want to get gooky, but I probably should have).

Cover and cook on high for 4 hours. The pie is done when it has begun to brown on the edges and the fruit is bubbly and looks like the juice has caramelized a bit.

The Verdict.

This did the trick. Even though the top looks awfully crumby, the topping ended up being baked and bit chewy like a traditional pie crust. If I had taken the time to form the dough a bit and pressed it down, it would have been better.

I believe this simple dough can be used with any variety of fruit---canned or fresh---and with canned pie filling. We just happened to have a case of canned peaches in the garage.

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at October 14, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. If you call it a crumble, crisp or cobbler, you won't have to apologize for the crumbliness of the crust. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10/14/2008

    Yumm. Now I am rethinking my plan of chicken nuggets in the crockpot. Pie might be much better. And make me a hero with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take it from an elementary/middle school teacher: the full moon DOES make things happen. You are absolutely right about it.

    Perhaps this should be Full Moon Pie? Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gluten free! -- Yay! You're my hero!! (We can only do gluten free in our house since my hubby has celiac.) I'll be trying this very soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. if you added some softened cream cheese to the topping, you could call it a cobbler!!! the top would get brown and crispy, and the underneath would be a touch gooey and yummy!!!!!
    ps. I just made the applesauce this weekend. HUGE hit. HUGE! I've got more apples, so more sauce will be on the way and I now have to make an apple cobbler/crisp w/this recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only thing this yummy pie needs is a big ole plop of vanilla ice cream! mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10/14/2008

    The more I read your blog (I'm a late-comer), the more I admire your creativity and your ability to whip up something fabulous on a crockpot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10/14/2008

    I have been lurking for a while and just have to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. The pie is a winner!

    Thank You and keep the crock recipes coming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was the crust mix from Gluten Free Pantry? I was going to use it last night, but when I saw the 50 other things I needed to make it. So, I just used a different mix. I made chicken potpie...oh yes IN the crockpot!
    I know you have inspired tons of women to be brave and use the crockpot more! I think my husband loves me more since you inspired me. Dinner in the crockpot means he can just relax when he walks in the door rather than have me throw 4 kids at him in a panic so I can finish dinner. What a revelation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious! I will be doing this today :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wanted to say to gabes_wife, I totally agree with the increased smiles from Hubby when he gets home -- heck the smiles on my face are bigger too!

    And hey, I am a Gabe's Wife too! Gabes are good men :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How many did that serve?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a lot of fans in the bloggy world :) Keep em coming, I love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10/14/2008

    I just found your blog and I am in LOVE!! I can't wait to use these recipes... are you looking forward to not crockpotting? Only a few months left...

    ReplyDelete
  15. My MIL makes a cake you might like. She calls it a dump cake and says it's pretty well known where she lives, though I'd never heard of it. I bet it would translate well to a crockpot. Essentially, pour yellow cake mix into a pan, pour a melted stick of butter over it, and then dump two cans of peaches over that. I bet that would turn out well in a crock pot.

    How it turns out in your arteries, however, is a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10/14/2008

    My kids look forward to the full moon each month. We stand on our deck and howl at the top of our lungs. We've even had the local coyotes reply. Of course, this works for us since we live out in the boonies. If you live in suburbia, your neighbors might think you are a little nuts. Unless you can convince them to join you! Try it! It's almost as much fun as crockpot cookin'!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous10/14/2008

    My Gramma made a similar version of Melissa's recipe.
    1. pour can of peaches w/ juice into baking dish.
    2. pour yellow cake mix on top and use a fork to kind of poke it down in there (don't mix it, just make it lumpy and cobbler-like)
    3. slice some butter pats and put them across the top (optional)
    Bake until it looks done.
    I might try this in the crockpot myself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so yummy and easy! I need to do more crock pot meals - most autumn/winter cooking translates really well to the crock pot. You really are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You said gooky!
    That's my mom's word for everything sticky and gross.
    Gooky! Gooky! Gooky!

    Btw...I ate the harvest casserole last night and made it with pumpkin cornbread. DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmmm, looks marvelous. I just found this blog and am super excited about it. Can't wait to go through the archives!

    ReplyDelete
  21. For some reason that reminds me of peach cobbler, which makes me want it! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WTG, for turning a bad start right...
    If this tastes anything like your Apple crisp it is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG this sounds orgasmic! I am GONNA try this! Top it with Cool Whip! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous10/14/2008

    oh my God, did she say pumpkin cornbread?!?! i must know more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pie in a crockpot... I have officially died and gone to heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous10/15/2008

    Wow! I'm not sure my younger boys even know what a pie is - unless it's Thanksgiving! This would be fantastic on a day when we're out of ice cream and I'm feeling guilty. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm new to your blog-but have gotten addicted...I might end up having a thing with crockpots too--and being OK with it :) I was glad to see the GF thing, cause i have family who needs it--and we're new to that....will TOTALLY try the pie thing--my husbands favorite is peach :)...well, thanks for undertaking this adventure ...it is for the good of ALL on-the-go and stay-at-home families!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my Lord, WHY has Martha Stewart not had you on her show yet?!?!?! This is AWESOME!!! Can't wait to try it...I think I have some peaches and Bisquick in my pantry already too. WOO-HOO!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks scrumptious! I need to start the GF diet as well for my kiddos, thank you so much for your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. At first I thought you had used pumpkin, and I was about to delete you from my Friends List. But you were saved by the peaches. Never underestimate the power of the peaches Steph.

    You know I love when you do desserts. They blow my diet out of the water, and I thank you for that. This is not unlike 'dump cake', yes? Or Dutch Oven Cobbler? (which also takes a long cooking time, you'd probably love it) You can do that with a can of fruit pie filling and a box of cake mix and 1/4 cup of butter, you know, the good stuff. Yours looks yummy though. The only canned fruit I have in the house right now is pineapple and I don't think that'll work, but I'll keep this idea on the backburner. Maybe if I use splenda and no sugar added fruit and low fat bisquick and fake butter, I can still make, eat, and glorify in this.

    ...

    ...

    ...

    Bwahahhhhaaa ha ha ha!

    Yeah, that was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  31. this sounds yummy! I am only sorry that right this minute I am on a fast from sugar for church. but when it is over I will try. :) Don't you just love pamela's baking mix? It is my fav gluten free mix I use it for everything, it makes killer waffles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous10/18/2008

    Being the pregnant lady that I am, and being intrigued by this recipe I really wanted to try it for dessert last night. But I did not have canned fruit so, I made this pie last with frozen raspberries and fresh apples just to see if it would turn out as good as Steph's looked. It was pretty good, but it would have been much better if I had added some extra juice to compensate for not using canned fruit. Using the juice from the canned peaches probably made the crust turn out a little better. The flavors were great, it just should have been a little juicier, since the pie crust absorbed everything extra from the fruit! As for the crust, I thought it would be too dry with no extra liquid from the fruit so I added a splash of milk. Since using fresh & frozen fruit I should have compensated more. If you get a good mixture with frozen & fresh fruit let us know, please for all the cravings!!!!!

    On a plus, the house smelled amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've made this twice now -- the first time with the canned peaches and then yesterday with fresh Granny Smith apples. Delicious both times! And you can very simply and quickly reheat the cobbler the next day by putting the crock back in the unit on low. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks - I can't wait to try this! I have never done a dessert in the pot before.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous10/20/2008

    I made it this weekend and it was delish, the only thing I will change in the future is add an extra can of peaches (maybe without the juice) but that's just because I like the fruit more than the crust when it comes to cobblers.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous10/20/2008

    Oh and i forgot to add how much i love love love your blog. My crockpot sat unused for months until i came across this wonderful blog

    ReplyDelete
  37. Seeing as how Thanksgiving is coming up, do you think this would work with canned pumpkin since the liquid content is not the same? My daughter is a new celiac and I think pumpkin pie is what she is going to miss the most.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Shyla,

    I don't know. I haven't done it, and I'd hate to say yes without knowing for sure. if you're not opposed, I would think the best bet would be to make a graham cracker crust with 2 T melted butter, and 1 cup crushed GF gingersnaps or arrowroot cookie crumbs (the midel brand is fantastic) and add the pumpkin pie filling to that, then cook traditionally in the oven. I'm sure you could do it in the crockpot, but we're getting so close to thanksgiving, and I would hate to upset your dinner.

    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  39. I made this last night for dessert. I used one can of blackberries in syrup, and then since I didn't have any other canned fruit, I used a can-full of fresh raspberries and some sugar-water for the syrup substitute (I filled the can after putting the fresh berries in, but half a can would have been more than enough.) I also increased the melted butter to 4T and did pat down the crust to make it more "crusty."

    Delish! It was sweet and tart- perfect for a summer berry pie. I did go overboard with adding some water (the other reviews talked about the crust being too dry) but the flavor was great. My crust turned out the consistency of a quick-bread, and about 3/4" thick, but it worked.

    We ate the leftovers for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete