Absolutely Crazy CrockPot Turkey


Day 281.

I got adventurous yesterday. I don't really know what came over me, but I was feeling brave and went out on a limb. The jury is still out on whether or not my concoction was a success. It may actually be a hung jury.

Spurred along by a turkey recipe I found online using anchovies, I went to Trader Joe's. I figured: turkey, anchovies, tomatoes... sure! Why not? This was a real recipe by a real chef guy that is served in a real restaurant.

Nothing could be wrong with that.

I didn't print out the recipe. I just went. And hunted. And gathered.

I kind of like what I made.

I may be the only one.

in the entire world.

that's okay with me.

The Ingredients.

--1 1/4 pounds turkey breast cutlets
--8.5 oz jar sundried tomatoes, drained and rinsed
--2 oz can anchovies, drained and rinsed (even though 2 cans are pictured, I only used 1)
--6 slices of bacon (I used turkey)

The Directions.

I used a 6.5 quart crockpot. Anything over 3 quarts would work just fine.

Spread the bacon on the bottom of your crockpot. Rinse off the anchovies, and lay them on top. Add the turkey cutlets; it's okay if they overlap.

Rinse off a bit of the oil from the sundried tomatoes, and add it on top of the turkey. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours (this was in a not-very-full 6.5 quart, so if you are using a smaller pot, it will take longer).

The Verdict.

I served this with polenta that I JUST YESTERDAY perfected in the rice cooker. Yay! (1 cup cornmeal, 3 cups chicken broth, 1 T butter---after cooking cycle, take the lid off, stir, and let sit for about 5 minutes. delicious.)

The combo of the smoky and slightly salty turkey with the acidity and tang of the sundried tomatoes was crazy-good. I didn't eat the bacon or the anchovies, I just used them for flavor.

I'm the only one who ate this. I ate 2 1/2 servings, and will gladly eat leftovers for lunch. Apparently if you announce you're making something with anchovies for dinner, people seem to want to prepare something all on their own.

All said? I'm pretty darn happy with this recipe. Iron CrockPot, anyone?

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at October 07, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Anonymous10/07/2008

    I've died and gone to heaven!

    A whole site dedicated to crockpot recipes...that someone has actually tried.

    I've got goosebumps...

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try this when I get my new Crock Pot. Hubby & I LOVE anchovies, I'd probably cut back a little on the sun dried tomatoes but otherwise it sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came home to this awesome fall dinner last night - I highly recommend this to you.

    http://johnstonesvinblanc.blogspot.com/2008/10/slow-cooker-choucroute.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iron Crockpot...I love it!! That should be a Mr. Linky--you pick a "secret" ingredient, everyone has to make a made-up recipe using it within a day...??

    Could be some great entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I absolutely can't wait to see what you come up with for Thanksgiving. CANNOT WAIT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. " Apparently if you announce you're making something with anchovies for dinner, people seem to want to prepare something all on their own. "

    Now, THERE's a household tip to share!

    Though, I would eat it. I like anchovies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10/07/2008

    good goin on makin your own thing! i always loved anchovies on my pizza and on crackers as a little kid (i was a weird little kid). and sundried tomatoes are one of my favorite foods ever. i don't know what makes them taste so good but im obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had anchovies, but I bet I would like this. It looks unique, and I love trying new flavors!

    I made your crock pot acorn squash last night. It was the best acorn squash I've ever eaten. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmm...thinking about announcing I'm using anchovies for dinner every night. Then I'd never have to make dinner again! Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10/07/2008

    Hhhhmmmmm........not sure about the turkey recipe, but thanks for the tip about the polenta! I have a rice cooker sitting here that needs a 'Rice cooker lady' to use and give me tips so that it doesn't sit and collect dust. Up for that one in 2009? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SUPER SUPER EXCITED about the polenta recipe!!! I too have been tinkering with this and no dice, so glad you cracked the code!

    THANKS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a must try. Hubby LOVES anchovies and bacon. As for me I will avoid the anchovies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Iron crockpot. You're hysterical!

    This looks really good. I'm going to have to try it.

    For Thanksgiving, will you do turkey and stuff in the crockpot? Because that would just be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have to be careful with the sun-dried tomatoes. Some of them have a nice, sweet flavor and some just taste like salt, or worse. :( Especially true with the oil packed ones. The only ones I really know that taste really good are at Sigona's (http://www.sigonas.com/index.htm) if you live in the San Francisco Bay area. Otherwise, ya pays yer money and takes yer chances).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds amazing! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love it when turkey goes all crazy like that!

    Sounds FABulous!

    ~melody~

    ReplyDelete
  17. On the polenta...

    How long do you cook it in the rice cooker before removing the lid?

    It all sounds fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mary, my cooker turns to warm automatically when the cooking is done---I lifted the lid when I heard it click over. I think it's about 20 minutes, but I don't know for sure. I've got a cheapy with no bells and whistles.
    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  19. You lost me at Anchovies!

    ReplyDelete
  20. For the record, I really like Anchovies. So many foods would just not work without them. Pasta puttanesca most notably. If you haven't made it yet you should. Not great in the crock pot, but only because it takes 20 minutes max from cans to table.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What setting did you use on the rice cooker for the polenta? I love it but it is so expensive to buy pre-made. Your idea sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi Tater, our rice cooker isn't fancy, and just has cook and warm. I pressed the "cook" button, and when it finished, it clicked over to warm. It took about twenty minutes, similar to white rice.


    --steph

    ReplyDelete
  23. i made a tuna casserole that contained anchovies one day when i was feeling adventurous (and not pregnant), and purposely didn't tell anyone what the "secret" ingredient was....until they all ate huge helpings and declared it was good.
    all their faces changed, and i was asked not to make it again. sheesh. i thought i was so clever, and they would say "really?! i can't even tell" but it would have been more clever to keep my "secret" ingredient secret.

    ReplyDelete
  24. For people who cook for people who are afraid of anchovies, try using a splash or so of fish sauce. Probably best not to tell them about the fish sauce, but you can honestly say, "There are absolutely no anchovies in your dinner."

    ReplyDelete
  25. How have I not seen this one before?!?! I'm not crazy about anchovies, but could probably use them as flavoring. What's not to love about concoctions (except when they go south)? In the kitchen, crazy = fun.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have been saving this recipe until I felt "brave" enough to try it! I'm so GLAD I did! It was absolutely amazing! I even ate the anchovies, turkey bacon and sun-dried tomatoes along with mine! I LOVED it! I don't have a rice cooker, but I took your recipe and cooked it on top of my stove, it was wonderful too! Thank you for sharing all of these wonderful recipes!

    ReplyDelete