CrockPot Halibut in White Sauce with Broccolini


Day 274.

Good morning! I made a halibut in white sauce for Sunday lunch. It was good!!
 I really don't think I'll go back to the stove top or oven---it's just too easy in the crockpot and I can not get over the no-fish-smell.

The Ingredients.


24 ounces halibut (or other white fish like tilapia or fillet of sole)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (we are gluten free, so I used a GF flour mix)
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup white wine (or you can use chicken broth)
2/3 cup milk (mine was fat free)
2 lemons, 1 juiced, 1 for garnish-
aluminum foil


The Directions.

Microwave butter in a glass bowl, and whisk in the flour. In a separate bowl, combine the milk and the white wine. Slowly add the flour mixture to the milk and wine, stirring the whole time. Squeeze in the lemon. If you dump the cold milk and wine into the flour mixture too quickly, the flour and butter will separate again, and the butter will harden and create weird gloppy lumps that will float to the surface.

Ask me how I know this...

Add the sugar to the sauce mixture. Lay out a length of foil onto your kitchen countertop and place the fish into the middle. Spoon the sauce on top. fold the foil over and crimp the edges. Rinse the brocollini under cold water and place that into a separate length of foil, then fold over the foil to make a separate fully enclosed packet. Place this on top of the fish. 

 Cover your slow cooker and cook on high for about 2 hours, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.

The Verdict.

I liked this, and did add a bit of salt and some extra lemon at the table. Although I cooked the brocollini separately, I do think if you wanted to just do one packet you'd be fine to throw everything into the same foil. 
Fish in the crockpot is WONDERFUL!

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at September 30, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Yum! I love halibut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean? When you cook fish in the crockpot your house doesn't get smelly? I haven't tried any of the fish recipes, but if that is one of the perks, I'm all for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ay8s,
    yup, no fish smell!
    it's wonderful.
    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog, and am so excited to find another crock pot lover! :)
    Can't wait to try some of your gluten free recipe's. (I have been gluten free for over a year, and finding good crock pot menu's can be hard)
    I also am encouraged that you put substitutions in for the wine listed in the recipe's!
    Thanks :))
    Tori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9/30/2008

    Halibut is my favorite type of fish and this recipe turned out great. A quick squeeze of lemon and I was in heaven. Thanks Steph!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steph,
    I LOVE this blog.
    Now, every time I try a new recipe, my kids ask: Was it made in the crockpot?
    Thank you for keeping this up.
    The crockpot is a lifesaver in most days.
    Thanks a gazillion times!
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9/30/2008

    LOVE LOVE LOVE this blog! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you tell the truth about how your entire family feels about the recipes. I have 3 kids some I'm more likely to try a recipe if someone elses kids liked it!

    And no fish smell? That has been my excuse for years for not making fish at home! Now I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you think you could substitute chicken for the fish? We don't eat fish but the rest of the ingredients sound yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9/30/2008

    Steph - what are you going to do when the year is up? You're going to keep blogging, right? Right? Will you just start telling us what your family has for dinner, only not always in the crockpot? Cause I would totally read it.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there,
    Chicken would definitely work, but you would need to cook it longer. Check after 3-4 hours on high, or 5 -6 on low.

    The broccolini would be a bit more cooked if in for that long----if your family doesn't like veggies too cooked, you can add them in the last hour or so.

    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at you making fish in the crockpot. There is no frontier you have not reached!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your site rocks....also got the prevention mag with your faq.
    I never thought of trying fish. Might have to give that one a go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, am I the first person to try this recipe? Because you list sugar on the ingredients but didn't say where to put in the directions? My fish is cooking as I type, so I just added the sugar in after I mixed together the butter/flour & milk/wine into a single bowl.

    I hope this turns out well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jessica,

    that's right. I must have forgotten to put it in the directions. I'll fix it--thanks for noticing!
    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tried this with cod tonight. I skipped the broccolini and substituted red for white wine as I didn't want to open a bottle for just this bit. The recipe turned out well. I wouldn't recommend the red wine to others...while the flavor was good, the dark color was not visually appealing. My liquid addition was evidently too quick, as I had the clumping problem you described. From now on, I'll just used softened butter rather than melted, a technique I've found to be a better way. Thanks for yet another great meal!!

    ReplyDelete