CrockPot Flank Steak Stuffed with Apple, Feta, and Almonds



Day 253.

I had a bee in my bonnet yesterday to make something savory with fruit after the "icky" gingered peaches with chicken recipe.

We all liked the turkey meatballs with apple and cheddar, so I decided to stick with apples. And we had flank steak. So I put the two together.

This is a good meal. A very way good meal. A meal that I never in a gazillion years I would have ever attempted to make (or think up) without this wild and crazy year-of-crockpotting challenge. I googled apple stuffed flank steak in every word combination I could think of, and didn't find anything I liked.

So I made something up.

The Ingredients.

--1 or 2 pieces of flank steak (the filling will fill 2 pieces of meat)
--1/2 cup honey
--1/2 cup soy sauce (La Choy and Tamari wheat-free are gluten free)
--1 green apple
--1/3 cup raw almonds
--1/2 block feta cheese
--2 chopped garlic cloves

The Directions.

Marinate the flank in the honey and soy sauce overnight in the refrigerator, or for as long as you can (I did about 4 hours).

In a mixing bowl, combine the feta cheese, the chopped garlic, a chopped (doesn't need to be peeled) green apple, and the chopped almonds (psst. the almonds were measured out before they were chopped).

Dump the flank steak and all the juice into your crockpot. Carefully pull out the piece of meat, and put it on a cutting board. Put a handful or two of the filling in the middle of the flank, and roll it up. You will have extra garlic, feta, apple, and almond mixture. It makes great salad topping--or use it to fill up another piece of meat.

Place the meat seam-side down into your crockpot. If you'd like to secure the meat with twine or skewers, go for it.

Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 6-7. I cooked ours on high for exactly 4.

Slice carefully, and serve. If the meat unrolls a bit, you can stick it back together with toothpicks to present nicely. Or don't worry about it---it's gonna get all chewed up anyway.

The Verdict.

Oh so good. This is really good.

I am totally tooting my horn.

HONK.

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at September 09, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Anonymous9/09/2008

    This looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *icky face* Feet cheese? Do you think it would be good with a different kind of cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my. that made me laugh so hard! We have a saying in our house "everything's betta with feta", lol.

    how about gorganzola? goat?

    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooohhhh, sounds so good. I am gonna try this one! And I love gorgonzola, so I might try it with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9/09/2008

    This meal was amazing. Definately one of my favorites of the year. Thanks for another great one Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! It sounds as if you've outdone yourself if Hubby is leaving a comment..Must try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9/09/2008

    I'll be trying this one soon! Looks fabulous, and my hubby loves beef. Go ahead and toot your horn loud, girl....one honk was not enough!!!
    HONK!! HONK!! HONK!!

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, Cindi is my new best friend. ;-)
    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  9. Flank Steak is my husband's favorite meal. I have a standard recipe, but I will try a new version and see if that is an equal hit--it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9/09/2008

    I was wondering what to do with an overabundance of feta I had right now. I have all the ingredients for this recipe (and a new crock pot to play with!)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sara, let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds great but the colour of the meat looks purple. Is this just my eyes playing tricks on me?

    ReplyDelete
  13. cannedam, no, I think you're right and it does look a bit purple. I think it's because the meat soaked up a lot of the soy sauce color.

    -steph

    ReplyDelete
  14. you have an amazing site and i loved sharing it with others today when i tagged you with some bloggy love!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will definitely have to sneak this one past my hubby. He has something against meat and fruit together. But I think the feta will distract him. This sounds wonderful!

    Beep! Beep!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous9/10/2008

    i am going to try it, I have done so so many things in my crock, use it most nights, but not tried anything like this, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9/25/2008

    I have this in right now and the house smells heavenly. I am doing it with blue cheese, not "feet" cheese. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous9/25/2008

    Oh wow. So for my crock pot 6 hrs on low is FAR too long. Wound up to be shoe leather.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh no, Jennie! I'm so very sorry! that totally and completely stinks.

    xxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just made this and it was yummy! Mine was tender, though a bit dry. I used dried cranberries and red onion in place of apple and almonds (didn't have any) and instead of rolling it I cut it almost in half and stuffed it. Cooked on high for 3 hours. I never in a million years would have tried anything like this on my own, but I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ok, I was worried about my meat being dry, so before my husband came home I reduced the juices in the crockpot (after removing the fat) until it was more of a glaze, and sprinkled it with chopped parsley. My husband was rolling his eyes and kept commenting on how yummy and "fancy" this was and asked me to keep the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous12/15/2008

    Per someone's suggestion, I made this with goat cheese. It was fantastic. Thanks for another winner!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made this tonight and it was delicious! I found your blog last week and I think I've already made 3 of your recipes. Thanks so much for posting such yummy meal ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! Long time reader, first time caller (or commenter, I guess). I want to serve this for dinner for some guests tomorrow but am worried about it drying out. What size crockpot did you use for this? I plan on making a total of 4, so would my 6 qt be too big? And would using more soy sauce/honey make it more moist, or would that be overkill? Thanks for any advice!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Matt,

    Your dinner party sounds fun! I would definitely marinate the meat for as long as you can. If you're going to do 4 rolls, you can still use your 6 quart, but I'd try to see if you can nestle an oven-safe dish into the pot to create a smaller cooking vessel. Pyrex, corningware, or a loaf pan should all fit in just fine. If you don't have something like that in the house, put the meat in, and then put a layer of foil down close to the meat to help trap in steam and moisture. I'd also check on the food earlier than you would if you were using a smaller sized pot. Once the meat is fully cooked, switch the pot over to warm until it's time to serve your guests.

    have fun!
    --steph

    ReplyDelete