CrockPot Pizza Soup Recipe


I love this soup. It completely satisfies any and all pizza cravings with very little carbs. I like to shove in lot of vegetables and add tons of shredded cheese on top.


/>

Day 218.

This is really good! Really, really, really good!

My kids' new-best-friend, Mallory, emailed me this recipe, and I was eager to test it out.

One, because it sounded awesome, and two, because I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the name Mallory. My youngest was almost named Mallory.

After Justine Bateman's character on Family Ties.




The Ingredients.

Serves 4 hungry adults, or 2 hungry adults and 2 kids with enough leftovers to feed them all again.


  • 1 jar (14 oz) of pizza sauce
  • 3 empty jars full of water
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1 cup baby tomatoes, cut in quarters (or 1 can diced tomatoes, drained)
  • 2 already-cooked Italian sausage (I used chicken Italian sausage)
  • 1 cup sliced pepperoni, sliced in quarters (Hormel turkey pepperoni is labeled gluten free)
  • 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped (or 1/2 T dried)
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 to 1/3 cup of dried pasta (if your pasta is tiny, use 1/3 cup. if it's big, do 1/2. I used 1/2 cup Trader Joe's brown rice penne) [if going for super low-carb, just omit completely!!]
  • --shredded mozzarella cheese (to add later)


The Directions.

Use a 5 or 6 quart crockpot for this recipe. 

Wash and prepare veggies. 

Dump them into the crockpot. Cut up the sausage into small pieces--I sliced, then cut the pieces in fourths. 

Add to crockpot. 

Cut up the pepperoni, add it, too. Add basil and oregano. 

 Pour in the pizza sauce, and follow with three empty jars of water.

Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours. Everything in this is already cooked, so you are really only heating through and allowing the flavors to meld.

Thirty minutes before serving, add the dry pasta, and turn to high. 

My pasta only took 20 minutes to soften quite nicely.

Garnish/top with shredded mozzarella cheese.


The Verdict.

Absolutely delicious. 

This will definitely make it on the meal plan. Thank you so much, Mallory. 

 You have a cool name.


I love this soup. It completely satisfies any and all pizza cravings with very little carbs. I like to shove in lot of vegetables and add tons of shredded cheese on top.

Keto Slow Cooker Cookbook

Keto Slow Cooker Cookbook

30 Dinner Ideas with 8 Grams of Carbs or Less per serving
Get the cookbook!





Pizza Soup

Pizza Soup

Yield: 8-10
Author: Stephanie O'Dea AYearofSlowCooking.com
Prep time: 35 MinCook time: 9 HourTotal time: 9 H & 35 M

Ingredients

  • 1 jar (14 oz) of pizza sauce
  • 3 empty jars full of water
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1 cup baby tomatoes, cut in quarters (or 1 can diced tomatoes, drained)
  • 2 already-cooked Italian sausage
  • 1 cup sliced pepperoni, sliced in quarters
  • 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped (or 1/2 T dried)
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 to 1/3 cup of dried pasta (if your pasta is tiny, use 1/3 cup. if it's big, do 1/2.) [if going for super low-carb, just omit completely!!]
  • --shredded mozzarella cheese (to add later)

Instructions

  1. Use a 5 or 6 quart crockpot for this recipe.
  2. Wash and prepare veggies. Dump them into the crockpot. Cut up the sausage into small pieces--I sliced, then cut the pieces in fourths. Add to crockpot. Cut up the pepperoni, add it, too. Add basil and oregano. Pour in the pizza sauce, and follow with three empty jars of water.
  3. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours. Everything in this is already cooked, so you are really only heating through and allowing the flavors to meld.
  4. Thirty minutes before serving, add the dry pasta, and turn to high. My pasta only took 20 minutes to soften quite nicely.
  5. Garnish/top with shredded mozzarella cheese.


Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at August 05, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Looks totally yummy! Mallory always reminds me of Family Ties too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good, it is going on the list. I have so many things to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8/05/2008

    i am going to try this one. looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's by far the best soup ever!! Who doesn't like pizza? And no dough= less carbs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8/05/2008

    HI I so like the tiny mini pastas. I think they taste great and they don't leave the soup all creamy looking with all that starch. (buying the cheaper pasta I guess) anyway.. this looks really good and I will try it sometime. Thanks.. I am stil chuckling over the feet in the crockpot!! CLEVER!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds AWESOME. I'm totally going to try this one.... especially since I saw a bottle of pizza sauce in my pantry last night... right before I dug out stuff to make a crockpot meal tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum!! and i love the name mallory. it was on my list of girl names. but of course i only had boys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made a huge batch of Pizza sauce. Now I know what to do with it! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds delicious! My son can't have dairy products at the moment (diagnosing stomach issues), but I could serve his without the cheese. My daughter could make it at her college apt., too; I can just see the other kids down the hall hanging out at her door, drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My twin sister looks like Justine Bateman. Sadly, we are NOT identical.

    Oh! I have made the French Dip in the crock pot twice now. It is SO good. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot hear the name "Mallory" without thinking of (low voice) "MAH-LOW-REE" in Family Ties. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am completely addicted to your blog. I especially loved yesterday's post with the foot bath. Thank you for the laughs. I will now be crockpotting while drinking wine out of the box.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely will be trying this one the next time I go shopping! I am looking into get a second crockpot so that I can do a couple of dishes at a time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that this is a "pizza" recipe that doesn't sound full of fat and bad calories. There are actually veggies! We'll be trying this one this week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds awesome. I'm gonna have to try this one.

    And I love the name Mallory.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Since I have started making whole-wheat pita bread pizzas for snacks or quick dinners, I have learned to make my own pizza sauce (so I can have the ingredients on the shelf when I need to and can save $$). Just mix a 15-oz can of tomato sauce with a 6-oz can of tomato paste. I then add seasonings to taste: Italian seasoning, basil, oregano, some sugar and a little salt and pepper. So if you don’t have pizza sauce on hand, try this. I am currently having a love affair with my 30-year-old crockpot (I would love to buy a new one with the removable liner but must wait until this one gives out -- if it ever does: it was a wedding present LOL). So glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous8/22/2008

    Totally made this for dinner! Super yummy without the stinky pizza smells in the house. I added 1 small can of niblets and topped it with sourcream and mozzerella cheese....(I cheated and used 6 small breakfast sausage patties and scrambled them up...)

    oh so good! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVED IT. Once again, Crockpot Lady, you never fail to impress me!

    Thanks so much for this one. I get the feeling I will be making this one quite often!

    http://ishouldhavebrediguanas.blogspot.com/2008/09/mmmmpizza-soup.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this last night - YUM-O! Among other things, I am gluten and casein intolerant, so I also used brown rice penne and did not use cheese. Delish! Hubby (not gluten intolerant) had some buttered and toasted French bread with it and really liked that.

    We will definitely be making this again. Thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous9/11/2008

    So yummy! My husband has issues with chunky veggies like onion and green pepper, but cut small enough he eats them. Anyway.. everyone loved this one. My son even wanted to take it for lunch at school...
    The only sugestion was from my hubby and he wanted more pasta in it... I thought it was fine the was it was, but who knows next time I will try it his way and see what we like better..
    Keep up the great work you are saving me tons of money and time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We made this my first grade class this week. When we were dumping everything into the food processor the kids would say "I don't like x,y,or z" and in the back of my mind I was thinking "GREAT I didn't bring anything big enough to transport this much soup home in." Wouldn't you know it they ate the whole thing except for one small bowl I took home! I did use a whole package of Italian turkey sausage crumbled and precooked and a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes. I added more pasta figuring I could get them to eat at least that and it turned out fine! It was a lot of fun and they want to do it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I tried the soup yesterday and thank goodness there are leftovers. The only change I made was that I did not put in any mushrooms. I LOVE my crockpots (3) and enjoy looking at and trying your recipes. Keep up the good work! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We made this the other night. We made a few veg substitutions,and used too much pasta (oops) but it still turned out delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVED this and so did my husband and two teen sons! I used canned tomatoes and black olives instead of bell pepper. YUMMY!!! This is on the menu at my house!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous1/02/2009

    I'll try this for MY Mallory, who is MSPI and my little spunky 2 yr old! She'll love it! I'm happy we chose the name Mallory....we don't hear of it much!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous2/09/2009

    Thank you soooo much! It took a much love for pizza and faith in your review. The whole family LOVEd it. I did the taco soup the prior week to much success also. Thanks for the new meal ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous2/10/2009

    way easier than the stovetop method. probably not as good (authentic) but for the amount of time and effort NOT put into...I will most definitly be making this again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this recipe! My daughter's name is Mallory. *wub*

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous2/25/2009

    i tried this last night. my husband loved it. the pepperoni's smelled and tasted burnt, but otherwise was ok.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just made this for the umpteenth time. WE LOVE IT!!! I use the ground sausage that's NOT in casings. I buy about a pound of it and cook it all up. I use half in the batch I'm making and freeze the other half so it's already cooked for the next time. I even cut up the other half of the pepperoni and freeze it with the sausage, so it's all ready to go for the next batch! Also, I add sliced olives. Pizza just isn't pizza without olives. At least, not in our house!

    Thanks for making dinner great again! This is in the regular dinner rotation for years to come, I'm sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous3/01/2009

    I am going to try this today, and my little girl is named Mallory. It's just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous8/06/2009

    I made this today and it was ALSOME!!!!! Plus it made my whole kitchen smell like pizza hut (YUM)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I know I am really late but I just made this last night and it is great! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I made this recently and it came out well...except for the part where I left the casing on the pepperoni. I WILL definitely make this again.

    ReplyDelete
  35. My kids loved this; thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I was trying to do the recipe from memory last night, and instead of just adding the half cup of dried pasta...I added the whole box! Woops! It did make a really yummy pasta dish though, and my husband and kids still really liked it. It made a HUGE amount of food and I was able to freeze two 8x8 pans of pizza pasta. Recipe "mistake" = yummy new food :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Catt of the Garage11/18/2010

    This looks good. My only niggle is that pizza soup should involve bread. I think I'd have to make some garlic pizza bread to serve with it.

    Of course, that completely undoes the healthy-eating thing, but the sheer joy would make up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I loved this, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love that this doesn't have any cheese in it until the end. That means my son can have it! Wahooo!!

    Ps. Mallory reminds me of the Babysitter's Club.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I was finally able to make this soup and cleaned out some stuff in our frig. It was a hit with the family! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sandra Wyrick12/09/2011

    Made this, and sorry, i didn't like the taste or the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Tabitha Schepers1/08/2012

    I am making this tomorrow and I'm curious about the Italian sausage. Is it ground sausage or whole sausage and how much do I use? I would appreciate it if someone could respond as soon as possible. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Tabitha,

    I used the already cooked smoked sausage (they look like hotdogs--see above picture). I sliced up 2. If you have bulk sausage, or sausage in casing, I'd cook it up, and drain the fat before adding to the soup.
    hope this helps a bit, steph

    ReplyDelete
  44. My name is Mallory, and I'm going to make this! ;) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  45. We love this soup! We like a thicker soup though, so I usually add two 14 oz jars of sauce and extra one of water because it looked like it would fit. We like extra pasta too.

    ReplyDelete