CrockPot Hoisin Chicken Wings Recipe


Day 223.

I love wings. I used to think that my love of wings was limited to those of the Buffalo variety, but in the past year or two my love has grown. I will gladly order a sampler appetizer platter of wings, or skip the pizza when out and stick just to the wings.

I've made teriyaki wings this year, and some sweet and spicy. Yesterday, I felt like Hoisin.

The Ingredients.

--2-3 lbs frozen chicken wings or drummettes
--1/2 cup prepared Hoisin Sauce (or your own, recipe down below)
--1/4 cup honey
--4-5 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
--1 inch of ginger, peeled and grated
--1 T sesame oil

Homemade Hoisin Sauce

4 T of soy sauce (La Choy and Tamari-wheat free are GF)
2 T peanut butter
1 T molasses or honey
2 chopped garlic cloves
2 t sesame oil
1 t hot sauce (I used Thai red chili paste; Tabasco or similar would work)
1/8 t ground black pepper

The Directions.

I used a 4 qt round crockpot for this dish. It was a perfect size.

Dump chicken into crockpot. Add the Hoisin sauce, honey, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 4-5. Stir well to mix flavors.
Cook on high for another 30 minutes.

The Verdict.

These were great! I love chicken wings.
My three-year old ate 7 or 8 and asked for me to make them for her birthday.

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at August 10, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. If nothing else - thank you for sharing the Hoisin sauce recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making these now - and the smell is incredible! I did a mix of wings/drummettes for my hungry boys to serve at their Olympics party today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8/10/2008

    Those look good. So cute that your kid asked you to make them for her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8/10/2008

    My favorite wings are teri-hot. Hot sauce and teriyaki mixed together. Sweet and spicy all in one! But these sounds very tasty. My hubby and I are wing fanatics so I will give these a try! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Hoisin recipe...what a money saver and I will opt to use chicken breast for I haven't the figure to handle the wings. LOVE LOVE your site..been Crocking it for 7 days straight WOOO HOOO. Hubby thinks I might have to toss out the oven. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just wondering if you have used the homemade hoisin sauce for any dishes other than wings?

    With the start of school coming, I know I'm going to have less & energy to be in the kitchen. I've been wanting to find some good crockpot recipes to simplify dinner, and I have several of your recipes on our dinner menu this week to try! Thanks for sharing your experiments & experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like wings too...thanks for the recipe. By the way, I have a three-year-old too, so I know that requesting them for her birthday is high praise indeed. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8/10/2008

    ZOMG. My mom told me about your blog earlier tonight, so I checked it out. And I adore you, in fact I posted an entire diatribe about how much I adore this concept on my own blog thriftywench.com. I'll be back everyday from now on. Thanks so much for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those wings looks so good. I love fresh ginger. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8/11/2008

    Hi. Found your blog awhile ago and was real interested...
    Just wanted to let you know I subscribed in the Google Reader, and even today, the newest entry it shows is February 22. I just thought you had quit posting. I tried resubscribing and it still just comes up February. Just wanted you to know:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Thanks for all the crock pot reciepes. I just got my new one on friday and love it! I had a 2 qt. then advanced to a 7 qt. I made 2 meals saturday night alone. I will definatly be back to check out more of your reciepts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy! I made these with thighs and legs because wings cost too much (to think they used to throw them out!) The children gobbled them right up! I served with carrot and celery sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too love wings... I also love Hoisin sauce. I'm going to give this recipe a try. BTW... ever make any Arepas?

    Cheers,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lynne!
    NO! I'd love to make some---I saw a Throwdown with Bobby Flay and he made Arepas.
    I've never had them.
    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8/12/2008

    Homemade hoisin sauce! You are a genius. Although I have a lineup of half-used jars of hoisin sauce taking up prime real estate in my fridge.. these wings will make good use of it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just put these in my crock! Can't wait to have them tonight and leftovers (if any) tomarrow! Thanks for your website. Rach

    ReplyDelete
  17. Question - does the skin crisp at all on the wings? Or does it stay soft and gooby (ya my word :)).

    If they do not crisp, I may make them in the oven instead.

    Sounds yummy though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous8/17/2008

    WOW! I made these yesterday and we ate them today. YUMMY! I've never heard of Hoisin sauce? What else is it used on? I love Peanut Butter and when I saw Honey and Garlic and Ginger I was all over it! I'm on the way to my Parents and will make them some with the breasts I have in the freezer. This was my first of your recipes to make, but I've gotten groceries to try the Jamaican Salmon and the Mac N Cheese this week.

    Loved you on Rachel Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous8/19/2008

    I am making this for dinner tonight and it smells amazing in here!! YUM!! I can't wait to try the wings! I hope no one else likes them so I can eat them all! SHHHHH!! LOL!

    Also, love that you have the GF suggestions as both my son and I have Celiac.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We made this last night with vegetable egg rolls and sugar snap peas. Yum! We like our food with a little kick though so I'm thinking about adding 2 dried red chilis to the mix next time. Do you have a different recommendation?

    Someone just turned me onto your website and I can't wait to check out more of the recipes. Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made this yesterday for dinner. I ađded some minced shallot and a couple of dried chiles as well. The sauce was a bit runny in the crockpot even though the chicken wings were well done. I think it's the water from the frozen wings. So I put the wings in the oven for about 20 minutes at 350. This process thickened the sauce & gave it a nice smokey flavor too. This recipe is similar to one I have for hoisin glazed cornish hen.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jessica2/12/2012

    I made this with chicken tenderloins, so easy and soooo good! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. SparkBunny5/24/2012

    I have a recipe for doing hoisin chicken in the wok, but it's a pain in my gluteus maximus. So, i gave this one a try. I was actually out of hoisin sauce and didn't want to go to the store AGAIN this week, so i made my own sauce. Didn't have sesame seed oil, so i substituted sunflower oil. Didn't have fresh ginger, so i did a tablespoon of ginger powder. I also cut the soy sauce in half because i can't do a lot of soy. In retrospect, i wish i'd substituted some water for the missing soy sauce, because my chicken was a little burned after 6 hours on low. Bummer. I made some fried rice on the stove to go with it, and i think it went very well together. The soy wasn't so overpowering that it made me sick, but you could still taste it. I thought the peanut butter would be too pronounced, but i honestly couldn't discern it. My 3 yr old ate this, as did my hubby. I'd probably make it again.

    ReplyDelete