CrockPot Banana Pudding


This is how to make crockpot pudding --- it's simple and delicious and will make everybody happy.


Day 227.

This pudding is bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S!


sorry. I totally couldn't help myself.


We needed a quick dessert for some company and I needed to use the
crockpot. And that's pretty much how this dessert was invented.

I opened the cabinet, saw some sweetened condensed milk, and we all know HOW GOOD THAT IS when cooked in the crockpot 

(except for you shouldn't do it for safety and legal reasons or something like that

and we had a bunch of bananas.

So I mixed the two.

The end.

these are the ingredients you need to make banana pudding in the crockpot slow cooker


The Ingredients.


2 (14-ounce) cans of sweetened condensed milk
4 bananas, a bit over ripe is fine, but not brown and icky

The Directions.

Use a 1.5 or 2-quart slow cooker for this dish OR a large crockpot with an oven-safe dish inserted.

Put the peeled bananas into a zippered freezer bag and let your kids squish the bananas until they get bored or the bag springs a hole and banana goobers fall to the floor. 

The freshly-mopped-and-ready-for-company floor.

The bananas will still have some chunk in them. If this isn't okay with you, you'll need to use a food processor.


Open the cans of sweetened condensed milk. 

Dump them into the crock. 
Mix in the bananas.

Take your time walking to the backyard recycling bin so you can lick the cans.


gosh that stuff is good.

Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours, or on high for 1-2 hours.


Give it a quick stir.

  Pour into serving dishes and let chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.



The Verdict.


This is sweet. 


So sweet, one of my kids declared it too sweet. 

I happily ate her portion.


This is how you make banana pudding in the crockpot slow cooker. This is a fun and easy dessert that you can make whenever you want -- busy weeknight, Sunday afternoon dessert, etc. Eat  chilled -- it will be a new favorite!




Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at August 14, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. I read a great name for cooked sweetened condensed milk (in the can) - "Danger Pudding."

    It's so good, you don't worry about the danger. :D Looks delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8/14/2008

    Good morning, Steph!
    I like the idea of this recipe, but would like to bulk it up somehow. Do you think this could be done with rice? You know, kind of a banana rice pudding? It may cut down on the sweetness (not that I have any problem with that). Soo...what do you think? How much, how long, do you think it would work?

    Love your site! Great work!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my lands that sounds DELICIOUS!!

    I gave you an award today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there. I have been checking your blog lately & love the whole concept. I just started commiting to using my crockpot once a week for my crockpot chronicles so I might just have to try one of yours sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8/14/2008

    Now I can't stop singing that Gwen Stefani song in my head. haha Thanks a lot!

    Bananas are my favorite fruit and this looks soo good. I've never had a dessert that is too sweet, mainly because I don't think one exists.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8/14/2008

    Hi Stephanie,
    Love your ideas.
    Just thought you'd like one of mine.
    Trying to heed the safety warnings about cooking sweetened cond. milk in the cans...I pour mine into a canning jar and follow the same directions. That is what the jars are made for, aren't they?
    Keep up the good work!
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8/14/2008

    This sounds like my kind of dish..... SWEET! I cannot wait to try this. Does the sweetened condensed milk cook up and have the same sort of taste as it would cooking it by itself? Thanks for all of your great recipes. I made the Crockpot Pizza Soup last night....OMG...it was SO good, my husband and son had two bowls each. I have the Crockpot Salsa Chicken in the crockpot now for dinner tonight. I am definitely getting addicted to the crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8/14/2008

    now you've done it...i'm not up to licking the tins, but banana pudding is coming up tonight. squirt a little whipped cream on top and sprinkle with a bit of shredded coconut, then top w/ a red cherry right out of the jar....wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8/14/2008

    hi, I've been cooking the sweetened condensed milk for years. But what I do differently is, put it into a small canning jar and proceed as if I were canning it. Comes out great, and you don't have to worry about cutting your finger as you lick out the can!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8/14/2008

    I would layer this up with vanilla wafer cookies and whipped cream in a trifle dish. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am making the smoked BBQ tonight. I'm so excited!

    Gina made me a new header and it looks great! I'm so glad you posted about her. Come look. I'm having a giveaway too!

    ~Z

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been reading your blog off and on for a while and I love it. I know that you do not use anything containing gluten in your cooking and I wanted to share a website with you that I came across today.
    http://www.heavenlylowcarb.com/index.shtml
    It's an online store and has a section with gluten & wheat free foods.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love banana pudding, but this is a new one for me! :)

    Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, I just love your blog.
    I hope you dont mind but I just had to put a link to your site from mine.
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8/14/2008

    I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who, ahem, cleans out the condensed milk. :-)

    I don't know that I've commented before on your blog, but I wanted to commend your persistance! You really inspire me to want to try the crock-pot more. I have been so disappointed in the past with everything tasting like a crock-pot. I'll have to dig around on your blog to find out which crock-pots you are using. Perhaps that's part of my problem.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, yum! And so easy! I love it. I also love your blog. We met briefly at BlogHer on the first morning. I'm sure you remember. ;-)

    I have an award for you and your blog. Just swing by my blog when you get a chance to pick it up and pass the love along to your favorite blog/bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous8/14/2008

    I can't get enough of your website. I've just put a link to yours on my website and recommended it to my readers. I eat gluten-free, and I can't wait to try out a bunch of your recipes. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous8/14/2008

    I just wanted to say I just discovered your site and needless to say I read every post in one setting. Is that sad? I don't think so. Anyway, my husband saw this and wants me to make it this weekend. I can't wait to try it. He has a sweet tooth like no one I have ever meet. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just found your site and can't wait to check out all your recipes! I will add a small crock pot to my wish list so I can try this yummy pudding. Question - (except for you shouldn't do it for safety and legal reasons or something like that) - why?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never cooked condensed milk in the can, I have however put it into a small can and cooked it until it become cajeta or dulce de leche or caramel,it's easy. I could see doing it in the crockpot, but I would probably put it into another bowl first. I have this fear of lead from tin cans. Plus less and less here is available in cans, it's mostly in boxes, which is kinda cool.
    regards,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  21. Banana goobers and licking lids on the way to the recycle. This is why I love your blog. That and I love any reason to use sweetened condensed milk.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think this one might be too much fun for my boys!! I have a feeling I would have to do a lot of cleaning up if they realized they could make the bananas ooze out of the bags!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, very different!!! My sister would really enjoy this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my little pony! (see, it's catching on!) I think I'm going into sugar shock just reading this post.

    How deliciously simple...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous8/16/2008

    I have several frozen bananas that I eventually get around to using for banana bread but this sounds waaaaayyy more yummy to me...do you think that the thawed bananas would work well for this?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Jen, I think if you're going to use rice, I'd stick to already-cooked rice.

    kellie, yup. the thawed bananas would work okay, but might be a bit off-putting in color. It would still taste great, though.
    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous8/19/2008

    I haven't tried this yet, but love your description. That alone is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. B-a-n-a...now I'm doing it!

    Hmmm, it must be kismet because I just happen to have 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk in my pantry that I've been eyeing up with the thought of "why the heck did I buy those????". Don't ya just hate when you buy ingredients & then realize you've lost/forgotten the recipe!? Argh...
    Enough about me....love the sound of this & I'm think I might just have to try it.
    Mmmm, adding cooked rice sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  29. OK, so my banana pudding came out a little chunky and nasty looking...not sure if it's b/c I didn't smush the bananas...any thoughts?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Jen,

    hmmm. did you squish them at all? Ours were pretty liquidy when we put them in the pot, and they still had some chunk in them when cooked. That's probably your problem.
    BUT! did it taste good?
    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  31. I added a big scoop of peanut butter to a half batch of this. So far so good but it isn't even ready yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I added a big scoop of peanut butter to a half batch of this. So far so good but it isn't even ready yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous8/27/2008

    I tried this with sweetened condensed milk and I thought it was too sweet. And all the banana floated to the top and turned brown (like Creme Brulee effect). That part was good. I will try it with regular condensed milk and see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous8/29/2008

    I have this cooking now. I'm going to be stalking the crock until time is up.

    And, uh...I must admit I licked out the cans. It's dairy...so it's good for me, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous9/11/2008

    I made this with four bananas and one can of sweetened condensed milk.

    Put it all in the blender, then poured it into the crockpot.

    All four kids loved it--not too sweet at all.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This was really good! My picky husband didn't really like it-I think it was the texture of it. Great Job

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous10/22/2008

    I am so sad...i love all things bannana....I looked foward to this alll day.....It has to be the ultimate worse thing I have ever made......i tested a bite after it had been in the fridge awhile.....and that will be only one....awful......i was so sad

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have no idea what I did wrong here - but I actually curdled sweetened condensed milk. And I was watching it the entire time! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous7/07/2009

    You are SOOOOOOO funny, keep up doing that, It helps & keeps people reading these recipes that can get monotenous!!!
    :) Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  40. Tried this with both bananas and strawberries... I'm not sure what the consistency will be like when it's cooled, but hot it has the consistency of... cream of wheat? Which is odd. But I somehow lucked into the right balance of banana and strawberry, and it's absolutely delicious. So... texture be damned, I call it a success. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous2/03/2010

    OK, here I go again: in Brazil we cook sweetened condensed milk all the time in pressure cookers (yes, pressure!) and I have never heard of anybody getting heart or anything. You Americans need to lighten up a bit. Now, put enough water in the pressure and cook it for, say, 1 hour. The more you cook, the harder it gets and the more delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anonymous2/23/2010

    I bought a 1.5-qt. slow cooker today, just for this occasion! I added a teaspoon of vanilla because in my mind, anything that is sweet needs some vanilla. I used non-fat sweetened condensed milk. While the taste was great this was very runny.

    Next time (and OH YES there will be a next time!) I'm going to try it with 1 can of non-fat sweetened condensed milk and 1 can of plain condensed milk.

    Has anyone tried to add a thickener? I added 3 Tbsp. of cornstarch mixed with water after the fact; waiting to see if that helps the consistency.

    Thanks so much for all the great recipes! My all time fave so far is the cheesy Buffalo chicken soup. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Tried this a couple months back. Texture was good, flavor was good, but it was a little too sweet for my taste. When it was cooled, I folded in some whipped cream. Made it incredibly fluffy and creamy and a little less sweet and...well, just downright delicious! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Stir in some milk chocolate chips after cooling before you refrigerate - yum !!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. i use peeled apples with bought crumble mix and make lovelly apple crumble in two hours in my crock

    ReplyDelete