Black Bean and Goat Cheese Mini Slow Cooker Recipe


Day 224.

I used my Little Dipper Slow Cooker yesterday to make a Tex-Mex inspired black bean dip, and I loved it. It was kind of spicy, but the goat cheese complimented the spice nicely with it's creamy mellow flavor.

Since I used my Little Dipper, I cut the recipe down quite a bit to fit inside. Feel free to double, triple, or exponentially increase---it's very good, and I wouldn't mind making a whole meal out of chips and dip one day.

very soon.

The Ingredients.

--1/2 can of refried black beans
--2 cloves garlic, chopped
--1/2 of a lime, juiced
--1 t cayenne pepper
--1 t cumin
--2 T chopped cilantro leaves
--3-5 slices of goat cheese

The Directions.

Open the can of refried black beans, and scoop out about half of the contents into the Little Dipper. Squeeze in the lime juice. Add chopped garlic, the spices, and the cilantro leaves. Stir. Top with the sliced goat cheese.

Cover and plug in. The Little Dipper doesn't have a temperature gauge. Cook for 1-2 hours, or until the goat cheese has melted and the beans are warm and gooey.

Serve with corn tortilla chips.

The Verdict.

Very tasty. I was quite pleased with the kick the dip had, and loved how the goat cheese was creamy and mellow. The cilantro gave a "freshness" that I really appreciated---it didn't just taste like a canned bean dip. The kids mostly scooped the goat cheese off the top, but did try the black bean dip enough to know that it was spicy.

I have the other half of the can in the fridge, and plan on making this for myself for lunch while I watch taped Olympics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S. I'm having Feed Burner issues. I don't use a reader myself, so I don't really understand them. If anyone knows what I should do to fix whatever error is happening that makes it look like I haven't updated since February, I'd love to hear from you! crockpotlady AT gmail DOT com.
xoxo steph

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at August 11, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. This is going onto my planning list, along with the Hoisen wings....yummy!

    I added this onto my Google page, and it shows everything as it should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good! I dont have a little dipper but I have a small Crock that should work for this.....maybe Ill just make a double batch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed you used Cypress Grove Chevre....it is a local product from my area of Northern CA. good choice! Wondered how far away you are.
    PS---the wings are in the pot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummmmmmm............

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8/11/2008

    This dip is EXCACTLY what i was looking for... I bought a 'double dipper' this weekend, and need something to go in the otherside (next to your artichoke dip, the new family favorite)...
    I was going to tell you that your goat cheese is made right down the road from me, but i see brendalou beat me to it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started a new job, and one of my blog readers suggested your web site for good crock pot recipes. What a fantastic discovery! I will be checking you every day to see what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use the Google reader and you are coming through just fine on there! Just thought it might help to sort out the problem if you know where it is working fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for letting me know, babbling housewife!

    cherie, it would be great in a mini crock! I really enjoyed this dip.

    Brendalou and Amber, that's so neat! I found it in the "fancy" cheese section at Safeway. It's delicious, and very creamy.

    thanks, Nicole!
    hi kay!

    deedeeuk, that IS helpful, thank you. I know nothing about html or code. one of these days...

    :-)
    xxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am amazed at the number of different items you have made!! You have such a variety of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found you a few months ago through a recommendation of a friend and added you to my google reader, it never updated and then I noticed the date was Fed 2008. When I went and searched you out on the net I found that you do, indeed update everyday. I added you again to my google reader and now you update just fine. I still have the first feed in my reader as well ~ never did update. However, I know nothing about code or HTML or anything, so I can't tell you why! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious! I don't have a little dipper, so I'm going to hint to the family for Christmas. sometimes the tiny crock comes along with a new big one; my big one has seen better days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my goodness, that sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had the same experience as Jessica with the Feed Reader (I use Google). I was so bummed when I looked up your blog again and saw you had been updating daily and I "missed" it all. After resubbing, I haven't had an issue. So I'm assuming something must have happened back in February to current subscribers and those subbing after that haven't had an issue?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8/13/2008

    wow, this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm making this for a party tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous8/18/2008

    Loved your idea for this and made it for watching Olympics this weekend. Served with Blue Corn Tostitos. It was super. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks to you, I'm now the proud owner of a Little Dipper and the even prouder "cook" of a delightful spinach and artichoke dip I threw together this afternoon! Thanks so much for introducing me to the little wonder :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks to you, I am now the proud owner of a Little Dipper and the even prouder "cook" of a delicious spinach artichoke dip I threw together today. Thanks for introducing me to this nifty little invention.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous10/19/2008

    I tried this same recipe with Old Windmill Dairy Chevre. This goat cheese is my absolute favorite. I have been able to find it throughout the state of New Mexico. The nice thing is they offer such a variety of flavors of their chevre. This lets me change the flavor of recipes without a whole lot of work on my end.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous10/19/2008

    This is a great recipe. Because I am in New Mexico I use my favorite goat cheese by Old Windmill Dairy. I am dazzled with their flavors and variety of cheese. My favorite is their Feta which is a Greek style feta. It is fabulous. My other favorite is the Chevre "Chili & Hot." I believe it is a New Mexico favorite as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This dip has become a standard in our house since I found your blog. Today I made a double batch and Sunday evenings are always pizza night. Our pizza nights normally are whatever sounds good on a pizza that we have in the fridge. Well my husband decided that the dip would make an awesome sauce for the pizza and then topped the pizza with rotisserie chicken and mozzarella. Super yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay, so I made this for the second time - and this time I totally jumped (spaced out) over the refried part of the beans. It was still terrific with straight canned black beans. I love this blog and use your cookbook on at least a weekly basis!

    ReplyDelete