CrockPot Crab with Sundried Tomatoes and Horseradish Spread



Day 201.

I was playing in the kitchen yesterday and came up with this crab spread. I couldn't decide if I liked it or not---even after I ate two rice cakes smeared with the stuff. Adam thought it was too fussy.

But! I got to use my Little Dipper. And I think that thing is just so darn adorable, that everything that comes out of it tastes like princess food. And that can't be a bad thing.

Ever.


The Ingredients.


--1 4.25 oz can of crab meat, drained
--2 T prepared horseradish cream
--5 reconstituted sun dried tomato halves
--1/4 cup parmesan/romano cheese
--3 fresh basil leaves


The Directions.


Soak the dried sun dried tomatoes in some hot water until they are soft and pliable. Chop. You could use the sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, but be sure to wring out the oil, or your pate will be awfully oily.

Drain the can of crab and add it to the little crockpot. Add the chopped sun dried tomatoes, the horseradish, chopped fresh basil leaves, and the cheese.

Mix with a fork.

Cover and cook (there isn't a temperature adjustment knob on the Little Dipper) for about an hour.

Serve with pita chips, corn chips, or on rice cakes.

The Verdict.

This was good, but maybe a bit too flavorful. I like horseradish, but maybe mixed with both the crab and the sun dried tomatoes was too much. It didn't stop me from eating a bunch, but it might have been better with fewer full-of-flavor ingredients.

The kids had no interest, whatsoever, in giving this dip/spread a try.

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at July 19, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. I forget about horseradish for long periods of time, even though I love it - I think because I am so careful not to keep a jar after the expiration date (a friend's family became dreadfully ill eating "past" horseradish).
    Now your recipe has reminded me and I am *craving* horseradish - will pick up a jar this weekend.
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7/19/2008

    I made the peppercorn steak and my family loved loved loved it!!! Can I just say they think I'm great right now??? Thank you so much!!! I also made the chicken parmesan and that was a big hit as well. Tonight I'm making the seafood alfredo. I went to the store and bought a bunch of stuff for several different recipes so I'll let you know how it goes. My son is wanting a chocolate cake made in the crockpot and his birthday is next week. Do you have one? Thanks so much for what you are doing!! You have made my life so much easier with all your crockpot recipes. You should write a crockpot cookbook! Keep up the great work!!!

    ReplyDelete