Baked Brie CrockPot Recipe


Day 208.

Happy Saturday! One of my most-requested and best-received crockpot appetizers is brie with candied pecans and cranberries. 

I like making it, because it's so gosh darn easy and because it seems more involved and elegant than it really is.

I was reminded about baked brie in a pastry crust last week when I was thumbing through and old cookbook put out by Pillsbury. I had a wheel of brie in the fridge, and thought I might as well try to do it in the crockpot.

The Ingredients.

The super easy way:

--a wheel of brie
--refrigerated crescent rolls

The Gluten Free Way (or a home-made way of making crescent rolls):
from the best crescent roll recipe ever, thanks to Delightfully Gluten Free

Here is the recipe for making your own (Gluten Free) Crescent Dough:

--1 /4 cup butter
--3/4 cup small curd cottage cheese or sour cream
--1 cup Gluten Free Flour mix (I used Pamela's) or All-Purpose Flour
--1 teaspoon xanthum gum (omit if using AP flour)
--1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
--1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
--1/2 teaspoon baking soda
--1 tablespoon sugar

--wheel of brie

The Directions.

If making the dough at home, follow the tutorial from the Delightfully Gluten Free site

I used sour cream the first time I made this dough, but used the cottage cheese this time. 

Both types of dough were delicious.













Roll out the chilled dough or crescent rolls on a cutting board. Don't tear apart the little crescent roll triangles, keep them together.

 I didn't bother to use an actual rolling pin, I just squished the dough down with a piece of plastic wrap. 

Place the wheel of brie in the center and fold the dough around the edges. If you have enough dough to cover the top, go for it. I did not, and left a peek-hole.

Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, with a toothpick wedged in the cover for just a bit of a vent hole. I usually use a chopstick, but tried a toothpick this time. 

I did get some condensation on the lid, but was pleased with the results. Your brie will be done when the dough has browned on top, and begun to pull away from the sides of the crockpot, or dish.















I put the brie and the dough directly into my 4 quart crockpot and baked it like that. 

In retrospect, I should have put the brie into an oven-safe round dish, and then put it into the crockpot for easier removal.

I was able to get it out, but it wasn't very pretty. 

 There may have been some bad words said.

The Verdict.

Oh Em Gee. Delicious, and very fun to make and present. 

I am overjoyed to have found this gluten free dough, and was so happy to give a nice big slice of this to my kids. 

 They hated the cheese but liked the dough.



How to bake brie using either refrigerator crescent rolls or a homemade recipe (included along with a gluten free variation!)

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at July 26, 2016

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Baked Brie is one of my favorite party dishes! Thanks for the great crockpot idea! ang

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happen to have Brie in my fridge right now! And all of the ingredients too!

    Except for the xanthum gum.

    And the cream of tartar.

    And the baking soda.

    Crap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish grocery stores sold xanthum gum in smaller bags than the enormous flour sized bag. I just wanna tear the bag open, take a few tablespoons, and put it back on the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Steph!! Here's a recipe you may want to convert to the crock pot! :) Enjoy!


    http://www.northumberlanddairy.ca/e/5000/Display.cfm?ID=111

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe. I applaud your use of the crockpot. Saves time and the food comes out delicious. Thank you for sharing your recipe. And congratulations on your award.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7/26/2008

    You know, I don't think I've ever had brie before. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! This looks so yummy. Looking forward to trying it.

    Tonight we had spaghetti squash for the first time....I went on-line looking for recipes this afternoon and saw that we could have done it in the crockpot...but we didn't have the time. But, wanted to see if you ever had had spaghetti squash- seems like a great gluten free alternative to spaghetti. It was our first time and boy was it yummy with spaghetti sauce on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - I can't wait to try this!!! This is one of those things it would never have occurred to me to try in the crockpot :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make something similar. A block of cream cheese, topped with apricot jam and slivered almonds. Fold the crescent rolls around the cheese/jam mixture and bake. Dear lawd it is good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stephanie I love brie i can cut that stuff up and eat it just as is. But baked that sounds so much better. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looky you, gettin' all 'fancy and crap', takin' pics outside (right?) in the good light! good job lady.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hiya Stef!

    Just wanted to let you know that I made this last night and it was delicious!!!! I did make a few changes though.

    - I used whole grain biscuit dough to wrap it in. It got lovely and flakey inside and crispy outside - YUM!

    - I used a baby brie wheel that I had on hand and it was just enough for two (though hubby doesn't like brie in in reality I ate it all!) But with the baby wheel it fit in my 1.5 quart crock pot.

    - I didn't have a dish small enough to fit in that crockpot so I put the wheel wrapped in dough on a big square of doubled over foil and slid it down in the crockpot. It was easy to lift out, the clean up was a snap, and I even served it on the foil on the plate.

    Just thought I'd share these slight adjustments! Especially the foil as you said you had trouble getting it out of the crockpot. Thanks for the yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should try this same recipe, but with Havarti cheese...and sprinkle it with brown sugar before you wrap the dough around...serve with Cabaret crackers. It is so friggin addictive and I get asked to bring this to almost every party we go to!

    Love your blog...we are hooked on the Korean ribs. I just found your Hoisin chicken wings, which will be cooking at our house this weekend to eat during the football games!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous1/09/2009

    I read in a Crock Pot cook book that you can make handles to pull difficult things out of crock pot. All you do it tear three piece of foil and fold in half a couple of times to make 3, 2-inch wide (10 inch long) strips. Lay the strips in the bottom of the crock pot in the shape of an *, then when your dish is done cooking you can lift up on the foil handles to remove the item. May work for this recipe. Thought I'd pass ti along.

    ReplyDelete
  15. to get our kids and other brie0phobes to enjoy baked brie more we scrape the outside of the cold wheel or wedge with a spoon. It removes the papery white mold flavor stuff and leaves just cheese inside the croute. excited to use the crock to make this as baked brie is one of our favorites. drizzled with honey and toasted almonds. topped with fig preserves or fresh figs in season. slathered on cucumber slices. you name it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brought this to my in-laws to celebrate DH's b-day and we LOVED it! I used Marcie's suggestion about the foil strips and it worked like a charm to remove it from the pot. For my next try w/Brie, I'll do the apricot recipe.

    ReplyDelete