Super Easy Fajitas Thanks to the CrockPot

Hello there, Slow Cookerers!

I have a great recipe for you today -- how to make Homemade Fajitas, super easily in the crockpot slow cooker.

There are two different ways -- you can "cheat" and use a packaged seasoning packet, or you can combine the homemade version I've listed before.

Honestly, it's all the same to me and I am perfectly happy scooping up the packets when they are on sale! #nojudgement!

{originally posted during my A Year of Slow Cooking challenge}


fajitas made in the crockpot slow cooker

Day 174.

I've mentioned before how much my family loves Mexican food. 

My kids will eat anything with cheese and sour cream on it, and avocado was their very first food. 

Fajitas are fun to make (I like the name---they sound much fancier than tacos for some reason), and are very easy to prepare with the help of the crockpot.

I get the meat going in the morning, and then can head out for fresh ingredients at some point during the day, or ask Adam to stop on his way home.


The Ingredients.

serves 4 to 6

the ingredients you need to make homemade fajitas at home in the crockpot slow cooker
  • 2 to 3 pounds of thin cut stir fry beef (you could use chicken)
  • 1 or 2 packets of fajita seasoning mix (I said one or two because I've found that it's awfully spicy if I use 1 packet per pound of meat as directed on the label--use what you think is right for your family. Make sure to read labels carefully if GF. I stick to McCormick for their clear labeling.)
  • 1 onion, peeled and sliced
  • 2 bell peppers, seeded and sliced (I used 1 orange, 1 yellow)
  • 1/2 cup of water

Home Made Seasoning:
makes one packet
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (also called red pepper)


The Directions.

Dump your meat into the crockpot. It can be frozen or thawed. 

Cut the onion and the peppers in strips, and add to the crock. 

Add the seasoning and water.

Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours, or high for 6. The meat is done when it reaches desired tenderness. 

I like to cook on low for as long as possible, because I don't like to chew forever. 

Serve with your favorite fajita fixens'. 

We really like squeezing some fresh lime over the top of the meat before doctoring it up.


The Verdict.

This is a family favorite. We make fajitas often, and always use the crockpot.

I can't imagine taking the time to brown the meat on the stove and then let it simmer in the fajita seasoning until it's tender enough.

(because I'm lazy. ;-)  )


More Mexican Food Greatness:

Mexican Black Beans 

Fiesta Chicken Casserole (is it a casserole? not sure?)

Tex Mex Pot Roast


Fajitas in the crockpot slow cooker couldn't be any easier. There's no need to brown the meat and onion beforehand -- just throw it all in the pot. You can use a packet or there's a homemade fajita seasoning mix recipe included here.


Do you love this recipe?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at June 23, 2022

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this recipe

  1. curious - do you cut the fajita meat before or after cooking? What would you advise for chicken? we are chicken fajita eaters here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Margaret,

    I bought meat that was already cut in strips, but if I couldn't find that, I'd use thin meat like flank steak, and cut it before putting it into the crock.

    I'd do the same thing with chicken, cut it before cooking. Be aware that chicken will fall apart more than beef will, but it will taste wonderful.

    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya - been lurking awhile and am so impressed with your daily program. And your recipes look super, too. I even coppied the one for beef and blue cheese, but rarely cook anymore - I've got it to try now.

    I use stew meat for a couple of things, beef and noodles and beef stroganoff always. I enjoy the 2 or 3 hours I can spend in the kitchen avoiding things like the dusting and toilet scrubbing. For me the flavor's great and it seems like a cost savings. And like I said, I enjoy the fiddling.

    lovely blog, really

    Cindy Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been a lurker for quite awhile and I have to say YUMMMM! I am a SAHM of 4 (10-3) with a hubby who works 10-12 hrs, 6-7 days a week so the crockpot is my best friend!

    We love Mexican here as well. I have all ingredients on hand and I am headed to the kitchen to make this for dinner!

    Thank you for all of your trials and recipes you give us! We have tried several and we have liked them all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6/22/2008

    do you know if that type of fajita seasoning is gluten free?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anon, I like to use McCormick spices because the company has a policy to not "hide" gluten in any of their seasonings or spice mixes. Make sure you read the label on your own, of course, just in case.

    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6/22/2008

    I love fajitas - does this recipe give you that "sizzle" taste or is it just tender? Also, if you're cooking the meat and the veggies for the same amount of time, do the veggies get over cooked?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm curious about the veggies, too. What's the texture like? I usually marinate my chicken/meat and then stir-fry it with the onions and peppers, so the veggies come out slightly crisp. Are they soggy from all the moisture in the crockpot?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gina and Nicole, the veggies were not al dente in the slightest--- I wouldn't call them mushy or soggy, but they certainly weren't crispy. If you'd prefer the veggies to have more of a crisp texture, toss them in the last hour of cooking.

    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, I think I'm obsessed. I just sat and read through EVERY ONE of your entries, starting with your very first post in December last year.

    It took a long time.

    I love this blog! I think you've inspired me to use my crock pot way more often. This is the perfect time of year for it - it's way too hot to spend the afternoon and/or evening in the kitchen over the stove or in front of the oven. I'm going to be trying lots of your recipes in the near future (though it's unlikely that I'll follow them exactly - I always change things. It's the thought that counts).

    Thank you for such an amazing blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That photo with the avacados and lime wedges has me seeing green. I Loves me some fajeetahs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog and the wonderful creative food you manage to whip up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds great! Fajitas is the one meal that my husband makes. He combines steak, chicken & shrimp, and he makes his own seasonings. I think I'll make it your way and see if he likes it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not really in to spice blends. Any tips on what/how much of spices I should throw in there? I assume some cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, & salt (and maybe cayenne).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds great! The real benefit to this is that you can use inexpensive cuts of meat. I've always cooked my fajitas on the stove top, but have to use really good cuts so that it doesn't need to simmer for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous6/25/2008

    Thanks for the great recipes!! The fajitas were super and so easy - it's nice using the crock pot in the summer and not heating the kitchen up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous6/30/2008

    This tastes great! I think I let mine cook a little too long but it was still really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous7/09/2008

    curious- my family adores greek food, an a local store here the sprouts farmers market sells gyro meat, meat pre packaged, do you hink you could adapt the receipe to make gyros? if you tryit please let me know how it works out! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me & my family just had this yesterday and was a HUGE hit!I added the vegtables in with the frozen meat, and it kind of help disguise the veggies for my picky husband and and twin baby boys.They ate it all w/out picking things out!SOO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is in the crockpot as I type this!! Oh, I am so excited!

    I pitched in some frozen chicken breasts and as soon as they were cooked, I sliced them up and tossed them back in.

    Your blog is fantastic! Don't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  21. If I only use 1 lb. of meat, do I still add the same amount of water? I am not a cook AT ALL... but your simple crockpot recipes have inspired me to at least try! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Nicole, I'm not much of a "real" cook, either. I think you can get away with using about 1/3 cup of water in this dish if you're only using 1 lb of meat.

    If your crockpot isn't 2/3 full or so, it will cook faster, so keep an eye on it.
    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the great recipe! My meat was tender, but somehow it didn't come out like the resturaunt fajitas. I think next time I will throw the veggies in during the last hour....and maybe stirfry the meat and veggies to give them that grilled/fried taste instead of cooked in juice taste. I used venison and between it's juices and the juices from the veggies, I think I will probably cut out the water.
    Thanks for this WONDERFUL blog!!! I am enjoying it immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous11/08/2008

    My Sweetie just called to say he'll be home (unexpectedly) tonight. I got the stuff to make this so we could try it out first, but he loves fajitas, so I'm hoping it will be a nice surprise for him -- it's in the pot now!

    I'm having grand fun and getting great ideas reading through all of these recipes. Not getting much else done, but . . . :-D

    Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous12/01/2008

    I made this for dinner tonight...it was very good! I even tried your suggestion with the lime, awesome! I will be making this again :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I got a new slowcooker set! Thanks for inspiring lots of cooking. The set I got is quite cool: A single base accommodates any one of three pots it came with: 2, 4, or 6 quarts! (Plus, I have the original 5 quart Crockpot which I suspect of cooking too hot.)

    But all this raises an important question: How do you decide which pot to use for a given recipe? I know it should be about 3/4 full, but until I've dirtied up the wrong pot it's hard to guess how voluminous a recipe will be once thrown together.

    Case in point: I can picture this recipe needing the 2, 4, or maybe 5 quart pot. I'll probably try with the 4, but do you have any good rules of thumb to help those of us who are rank amateurs?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Marshall,
    there are only 2 pounds of meat here, so it will fit okay in your 2 quart, but I'd probably use a 4.

    In your case, I'd use the 2 mostly for desserts and appetizers, the 4 for most meat dishes, and the 6 for making big batches of soup, stew, or beans.

    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was delicious! I never even considered doing fajitas in a CrockPot, and I wasn't disappointed! However, I think next time I'll add the veggies in the last hour of cooking, and create my own mix of spices....even the hubby enjoyed this. Thanks so much! I'm actually using your blog as inspiration to use my CrockPot every Thursday in our house...."CrockPot Thursdays" =]

    ReplyDelete
  29. I don't know how I stumbled across your blog, but I'm so glad I did!
    My family is not adventurous when it comes to food, really picky. Fajitas are a favorite of the hubby and myself. I tried this out on a long lost friend and it was wonderful (hubby was gone and missed out - sorry dear!)
    This is a great recipe and I will use it often, thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous3/24/2010

    I did not think it was very good. I used sirloin steak and chicken. The meat was too try (chicken was ok) and the peppers were nasty. I wont eat this again

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just put this in the crockpot for tonight. Very excited to taste it when I get home from work tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Who knew delicious fajitas could be so simple? I didn't! I will never make Fajitas any other way now that I've tried this because the meat will never be this tender. I also like the way the veggies get soft and sort of blend into the meat. The orange and yellow bell peppers were a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous9/16/2010

    no the veggies don't get overcooked in the crockpot at all; with all the moisture that is produced I don't even add water w/ the fajita mix. I layer thin stips of chicken on bottom, sprinkle seasoning, then all my veggies (onion, peppers, mushrooms) and sprinkle more seasoning. Then finally add several thin slice of Lime and the rest is majic!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is by far my favorite recipe of yours that I've tried! I told ALL of my friends about it, too...they all loved it of course! The meat and veggies are so tender and yummy! I love the veggies all cooked down and sweet, then add fresh veggies like jalapenos, lettuce and tomatoes on top! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous3/14/2011

    Hey everyone. My family has been making fajitas in a Crock Pot ever since I was about 6 and I am 31 now. I can't give our family recipe away, but here is something new for everyone to try. Sear the meat on an open flame pit before adding to pot. We cut our meat before we put it in and we do beef as well as chicken. We have a broth liquid already going which is a secret but does have veggies in it and we cook our fajitas on low for 24 hrs. They are so delicious. Don't be afraid to try new things. Most of the time you won't be disappointed. Happy cooking everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous3/28/2011

    Hi there,

    I am new at cooking period and I was given this new 6.5qt crock pot. I wanted to do this recipe today, but realized I only had half a pound of meat. Yes, I really don't know what I am doing.

    Anyway I was going to get more meat and such, but was wondering with this big pot, how to modify the liquid amount and cook times.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi there, I'd place an oven-safe dish into your large insert (corningware, pyrex) and only use 1 packet of seasoning. You can still use the same amount of veggies and use that to stretch the meal.
    If you don't have enough veggies in the house, use 1/2 packet or so of the seasoning; whatever you feel is about right.
    The cooking time will be the same if you use the inserted dish.
    If you do not, the cooking time will drastically lower: about 2 hours on low, 1 hour on high, then stir and see what the meat looks like.
    Slow cookers work the best when they are 2/3 to 3/4 of the way full.

    I hope this helps a bit1

    I hope this helps a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  38. WOW talk about easy and good and being a working mom I can always use easy and good in our menu got up got everything put together in less the 20 min set the crock pot on low went to work came home and there was dinner done and got the familys MOM THIS ROCKS which is the best thanks

    ReplyDelete
  39. This was amazing! SO easy and SO good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I do something similar but add green chilies and cilantro as well but add my own homemade fajita seasoning mix. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  41. Can I add shrimp to the pot for that long? Love your blog, BTW. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi there, sure-- I'd put them in about 1 hour before serving and turn to high--once they are pink and tender they are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  43. making this for tonight - can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I like my meat medium rare!! How long would I cook this the get the meat at the right temp for that?
    This recipe looks really easy an amazing which are both a thumbs up for me!! Ha!
    Thanks so much!
    Britany

    ReplyDelete