CrockPot Philly Cheesesteak Soup Recipe

Philly Cheesesteak in liquid form! This recipe is naturally gluten free, paleo, keto-friendly, and chock full of flavor.

The next time you are craving a delicious Philly Cheesesteak sandwich, but don't necessarily want extra carbs or calories, make this instead!

(originally posted in 2008, during my Year of Slow Cooking)


Philly Cheesesteak Soup in the Slow Cooker -- a low carb way to get your Philly Cheesesteak fix!
Day 178.

mmmm. Philly Cheesesteaks

I made them earlier in the year, and they were delicious. 

 But perhaps maybe you don't have bread in the house, or you don't want a bunch of carbs, or you don't want to chew a lot... guess what? I have a solution!

Make Cheesesteak soup! In the crockpot!


This was a nice weekday dinner for us. I got the soup prepped and plugged in by 9am, and we spent the day out and about and came home to a hot, flavorful, and hearty soup that we all enjoyed. 

 We served it with two salads: spinach and potato. (psst, potato salad isn't low carb friendly. I'm going to assume you already know that....)

;-)

This would be a fun (and memorable) dish to take to a pot-luck or recipe exchange.



The Ingredients.

serves 4-6 or so



1 pound thinly cut beef strips (I used beef chuck steaks that I cut with kitchen shears)
4 cups beef broth
2 cups skim or 2% milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 yellow onion, peeled and cut in slices
2 bell peppers (I used one green, one red)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3 cloves chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
8 ounces provolone cheese (to add at the very end)


The Directions.

Add the 1 tablespoon of butter to your crockpot and turn it on high to melt. 

Cut up your meat and add it to the crock, swirling it into the butter to coat. Add the chopped peppers, onion, and garlic. 

Add the Worcestershire, salt and pepper. 

Stir in the beef broth and milk.

Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours, or on high for about 4 - 5. 

The soup is done when the meat has reached the desired tenderness.

Before serving, stir in the provolone cheese. It will melt in stringy chunks---yum.


Can I use FULL FAT MILK? yes -- when you cook with high fat milk at a simmering point for a long time it can separate on you -- SO my suggestion would be to cook your soup all the way with just the beef broth and then 30 minutes before serving stir in the milk.

because the crockpot is now not very full (since the only liquid is the broth) your dinner will cook MUCH faster -- check it after 5 hours on low, 2 hours on high)


Great low carb, paleo and keto friendly dinner option that makes the entire family happy! Fantastic dump it in crockpot slow cooker  soup. Recipe from ayearofslowcooking.com

The Verdict.

This is a delicious soup. I was very pleased with the flavor of the broth. 


 The broth is thin, if you feel you'd like a thicker broth, you can make a roux on the stove with the butter and some flour before adding to the crockpot

 I don't like cooking before cooking, and opted to not bother with this step.

 But I also don't care if the broth is thin. If thin broth bothers you --make the roux.

(PS this will also substantially raise your carb count and flip you out of the "keto zone" if that is a concern to you...)

My kids really liked this. They didn't eat the vegetables, though. I garnished with a bit of shredded Parmesan before serving.



Prefer a sandwich version? Here is the Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich!


counting carbs? you will want to check out my Keto Friendly CrockPot Slow Cooker Recipes!




Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at June 26, 2017

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Anonymous6/26/2008

    oy. this looks and sounds so good! You come up with the best ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i told my husband about this recipe and he said "serve it in a bread bowl!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your site and I love it! I love my crockpot, but I don;t really know what to do with it! I think I will be trying a lot of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was browsing blogland today and found you!!!! I must say I love it. Today I tried the cabbage rolls...to die for! Bravo I must say.

    I just wanted to let you know that I posted the recipe on my blog for Tasty Thursdays. I did introduce you to my readers and did post a link to your blog.

    I hope it's okay. If it's not I'll take it down.

    Again, LOVE THE BLOG!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. NOw THIS is going on the menu next week..I don't care if it's 100 degrees outside....
    I'm a Pittsburgh girl myself..born and raised...and in my opinion the only good thing to come from Philly is the cheesesteak....OF COURSE, I'm kidding:):) LOL (sorta!!)

    I come here ALL the time to check in....the curry potatoes intrigue me...I've never used curry....
    hmmmmmm.....
    My mom ALWAYS does her stuffed cabbages in the crock...I should send you the recipe...nobody makes stuffed cabbages like a Hungarian momma.....

    Have a great weekend!
    lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looked so good I just had to make it....I actually doubled it to have enough for everyone. I love it so much....I used red and green peppers. I will just have to cut my veggies a little smaller cause I left them bigger thinking they might shrink up a bit and they didnt shrink at all. Also I think I am going to break up some french or italian bread in my bowl and then fill with soup. I LOVE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is my first recipe that i've tried from your site, and everyone in my house loved it! i'm 18 years old, and when i told my parents that i was making dinner for tonight, they gasped. my stepdad, who never eats ANYTHING i make, even said how much he enjoyed it. it was so easy and the flavors were so "in your face." i added 2 potatoes, a carton of mushrooms, and 1/2 a bag of corn because i love vegetables. thanks again for this great recipes and congratulations on rachael ray! i will DEFINITELY be tuning in that day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, this sounds GOOD! We have been buying up these steaks in the 5/$20 section at the local grocery store so this will be a nice twist for them! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7/09/2008

    You could also just stir in some instant potato flakes to thicken instead of the roux.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this last night and it was pretty tasty! But the milk did something icky (though my husband thought it was meat...I didn't tell him 'til after dinner that it was separated milk). Next time I make this I'll probably just leave out the milk.

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How much does this make? I want to try it, but my crock-pot is rather small so I want to be sure to down-size accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8/11/2008

    There's 4 people in my house, including myself, and we got dinner out of this dish and then enough leftovers for the next night, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Maria, there is six cups of liquid to account for along with the veggies and meat. I would cut if you are working with anything smaller than a 4qt crockpot.
    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello!

    Do you think this recipe would survive if the worchestire sauce was omitted? I have a severe soy allergy.

    By the way, I am in love with your blog and test out your recipes on a regular basis! I am almost happy that I discovered it late in the year, because I have so much back-reading to enjoy.

    --Liz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Liz,
    sure! give it a try! you could always add a drop or two of steak sauce at the very end for a steaky flavor.
    oxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should know by now I'm a fan of your site, right??? I say that because this recipe was a HUGE COLLOSAL FAILURE for me today. And If I'm being honest, I cried a little when I got home from work. I have been thinking about this soup ALL DAY LONG. I'm not really sure what happened...I think, maybe, I took you a little too literally when you said "thinly cut beef strips". It wasn't that you could read through my beef strips, but I MIGHT have cut them a bit thin to emulate that "real" Philly Cheesesteak experience. What I came home to tonight was a beefy/oniony broth with remnants of green and red peppers. The TWO POUNDS OF Chuck Steak that I sliced and put in this morning was NOWHERE to be seen. It had COMPLETELY DISENTEGRATED into the broth, despite being cooked on low for 8 hours. I MIGHT try it again…and not cut my meat up so much. As it was, I ended up having to go to Sonic instead. Fail. Sadsies, but I still love your site. After all, you've gotten more right than not!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made this and the end result was interesting?...moderately good. BUT, I made a lot of changes that upped the fat and calories, sadly.

    First I chopped the onions finely and that was a mistake, the onion flavor was too strong for my onion hating husband. So I strained the onions out and added some things to play it down. By this time I had resorted to using the stove top for finishing the broth although the meat and peppers were cooked just right. So, I fished the meat and pepper out while fiddling with the broth.

    Over all, with all these changes it was a rich creamy soup.

    I'm not sure I will make it again.

    I added about 1/2 cup half&half and a roux made with 3 Tablespoons butter and 2 Tablespoons butter. Then I cooked 4 ounces of orzo in the broth.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous6/26/2009

    I love your recipes!!!! What a great site!! Do you have any crockpot recipes for "cubed steak"? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Would chicken stock be ok??!

    ReplyDelete
  20. debkervin@yahoo.com12/31/2011

    Yum , I have had 3 bowls of this , I added some cut up red potatoes and it has the best flavor , Thanks for sharing , we have enjoyed it until the crockpot is almost empty :) !!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I tried using the roux but it didnt work out, it just ended up floating around the soup in little mushy blobs. Maybe it's something that should be added later?

    ReplyDelete
  22. milk curdled!!! blah what a failure :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. making this today as a last minute sub.. (ok..i looked around the site last night trying to figure out what i had to hand...) since I have a doctor's appointment when I would normally be making supper.. had to sub in some chicken stock for some of the beef broth, because i didn't have as much beef broth as i thought i did, and sliced up a flank steak for the meat.. will see how it goes.. but, this way everyone can eat even if i'm not home in time. just got everything in the crock and going.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous2/25/2013

    In order to cut down on some of the prep, I wonder if it would work to put in the beef not chopped up and then pull it apart after it has cooked.

    Thanks for all the great, gluten free recipes. As a new mom, the crockpot is my saving grace and it can be hard to find gf recipes. <3

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm a college student and I just made this tonight for my mom and very picky 12 year old brother. They LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I wonder if a roux with almond flour would work...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Made on stove with home made broth. Dad said is my best soup ever. Very high praise.

    ReplyDelete