CrockPot Lemon and Dill Salmon with Spinach


Day 128.

Each time I make fish in the crockpot, I'm amazed at how juicy and flavorful it is---the fish comes out flaky and slightly buttery. The key to cooking fish in the crock is the key to cooking fish out of the crock: don't overcook it, or you'll end up with a chewy, dried out mess, along with a stinky kitchen.


The Ingredients.
--1/2 pound to 2 pounds of salmon
--2 lemons
--12 oz of fresh spinach
--1/2 t black pepper
--3/4 t kosher salt
--2 t dill
--1/4 cup white wine (again with the wine! sorry. water, vegetable broth, or apple juice would all work instead.)


The Directions.



Wash your spinach and shove it into the crock. It will look like a lot, but it really shrinks down and you'll end up wishing you put in two bags after it shrivels up.

Place your fish onto the bed of spinach, and sprinkle it on each side with the spices and herbs.

Slice the lemons and layer them on top of the fish and on all sides of it. Add the wine.

Cook on LOW for 2 hours, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.


The Verdict.


A moist, flavorful fish without a hint of stink. We made this on a relatively warm evening, and I put it on at 4, then took the kids to the park for an hour or so. We came home, washed up, set the table and dinner was all ready.

My kids like fish, and ate a good amount. They also got a kick out of sucking the cooked lemons slices.
weirdos.

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at May 07, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. I DEFINATELY have to try this recipe!!! WOW! It looks AWESOME. And I loooove spinach. How can we go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "weirdos" HA HA HA HA.

    I'm going to try this one. LOVE lemon and dill salmon and this looks a lot easier than making the foil pouch I usually bake mine in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love crock pot cooking, it can't get any easier!! These recipies look awesome, can't wait to try them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5/07/2008

    I have 2 pieces of salmon I took out of the freezer last night and I have spinach and lemons! What are the chances? Guess what I'm having for dinner. Wish my kids like salmon (and feta) like your kids do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll definitely have to give this a try. I'm not great with cooking fish so something like this would totally transform that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5/07/2008

    Salmon in a crockpot? For real? I never imagined that could be possible. Since my hubs loves salmon (I'm not really a fan), this is a recipe I'm willing to make. This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stephanie, Amir told me about your site and I've visited a number of times. I can't put it off any longer - I need a crock pot so I can try out some of these recipes. What would you suggest I get?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am new to your site and this Salmon recipe really got me wanting to try! Thanks for a great site with so much diveristy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5/07/2008

    Awesome- I will be trying this one! I love that its only the fish and a veg- works for my diet!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am scared to cook fish in general but this looks like you can't screw it up. I'm going to try it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow,

    Never would have thought fish would have worked in the crock. I can vouch for fish stinking up the kitchen. I made it in the broiler once and the kitchen reeked for a week. Probably won't make this given that I live in a tiny apartment with a roommate who is not a fan of fish, but cool to see someone going for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5/08/2008

    Where does the wine come into the picture? Does it go in with the spinach? Is it poured on top of everything? Should it be consumed while assembling the other ingredients, to lend ambience to the chore of food preparation? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. yup, anon! all of the above!
    ha!
    -steph

    ReplyDelete
  14. All right, you've convinced me. I have to try this. It sounds wonderful. It was the part about going to the park and coming home to dinner that sold me though! Thanks for sharing the results of all your experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay...I'm making this Friday night...
    Thanks for another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I finally tried this recipe last night. My hubby got me a new crock pot for Mother's Day. I really needed a bigger one. I loved how easy it was and how the crock pot kept all the fishy smell inside. It was very flakey and loved by all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous5/24/2008

    I tried this today and it was really good! I used apple juice instead of the wine :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i made this last night and LOVED it!! i will definitely use 2 bags of spinach next time......

    ReplyDelete
  19. Believe it or not you can actually make fish in a foil pouch and put it in your Dishwasher so after I heard that I decided to try fish in the crockpot. I used talipia, white wine, dill and butter and served it with baby red potatos. I cooked it way too long and the fish was a little tough. I think i'm trying your recipe this week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous10/18/2010

    This was so good! This was my first recipe from this site and I will be coming back for more. My husband who is a great cook himself and who is a little sparing with his compliments said this was excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're my new hero. These recipes are so good! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Never apologize for cooking with wine! :)
    Thank you for the fish recipes, I want to add more fish into my diet and knowing it's so simple in the CP makes it that much easier.

    ReplyDelete