CrockPot Lamb Vindaloo Recipe



Day 138.

Have I mentioned how much I like Indian food?

 I love the depths of the flavors, the different spice combinations, the lean meat, and the heat.

I have really been liking spicy things lately.

When we reach for a menu from the take-out menu drawer 

(that's not weird to have a whole drawer devoted to take-out menus, is it?) 

we pretty much always go for the Indian place that we have on speed dial in the cell phone and who nicely have stored the credit card number.

Because I've found when you want food, you don't want to have to dig around for the credit card number. 

You want to sit on the couch and watch the cake decorating competition on Food Network (again) and have food brought to you.

or! 

You could put on a huge ol' pot of lamb vindaloo in the morning before swim lessons, before the birthday parties, before the Home Depot trip, before the IKEA run, and before you're tired and cranky and don't want to do anything except for becoming one with the couch.


The Ingredients.


--3 lbs boneless leg of lamb (unless you can find lamb stew meat)
--2 T dried minced onion (or 1 medium yellow onion, minced)
--6 cloves of minced garlic
--1/2 t clove
--1 t ginger
--1/2 t red pepper
--1 T ground coriander
--1 T cumin
--1 t cinnamon
--1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
--2 chopped potatoes ("aloo" means potato)


optional:

--1 can tomatoes



The Directions.

I opted to throw in tomatoes to create a bit more of a vindaloo stew. And didn't make any other sides, other than having corn tortillas available for scoopers.

--carefully trim the lamb, and cut into stew-meat sized chunks
--toss in your crock with all of the dry spices and onion

let it sit overnight in the fridge. This could be optional, but having the meat soak up the spice flavor is a part of making a really good vindaloo.

In the morning, put your crock on the counter and let it warm up a bit. 

It's never a good idea to put a freezing cold piece of stoneware directly into the heating element. 

Because your stoneware might crack.

And then you will email me. And I will feel sad.

Ad the 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar. 

Toss in the potatoes and the can of tomatoes, if you are using them.

* If you are NOT using the tomatoes, add 1/2 cup of water. *

Cook on low for 8-10 hours.



The Verdict.

Very tasty! 

There wasn't quite enough spice for me. 

I think I'm going to be brave and put in a whole teaspoon of the red cayenne pepper next time.

 Or maybe 3/4 of a teaspoon.

The kids mostly ate the corn tortillas we had as dippers, but did pick a bit at the meat. 

If the meat is separated from the sauce and cut up, there isn't much of a kick at all.

Adam and I ate it for lunch the next few days in a row, and found that the flavors were intensified the subsequent days.

very yummy; and this dish hasn't any heavy cream, which is good, so then I can eat more sweets!


other fantastic recipes:

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at May 17, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Anonymous5/17/2008

    Oh Steph! I am so making this recipe, probably next week after we get back from our trip east to bury my FIL. Only I will make mine with goat instead of lamb and spicier because dh likes that sort of thing a lot. And it will be so yummy!

    Dh and I don't get out for dates much, but when we do, it's always to an Indian restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OhmylordIamintrouble...I just happened on your site and I am in love! I am bookmarking your site as we speak and am going to try every recipe I saw today. Those chicken drums look amazing, and those apple things are going to make me gain back the ten pounds I have lost in the last month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just recently subbed to your blog and am going through all of your recipes and plan on making some very soon! =) I would like to submit a few tried and true recipes...

    Pork Roast with Beans

    Take a pork roast and wash it up and season it well. I use Lawry's Seasoning Salt, cajun seasoning and whatever strikes my fancy. Fresh Garlic is good too. Take One package of navy beans or pinto beans (or whatever you like) and rinse them and pick through them to remove debris and such. Place them in bottom of CP that you have sprayed with pam or non stick spray. Place roast on top of beans and water till about half full. You will have to check this as it cooks to make sure the beans don't absorb all of the water and you might have to add some water. Cook on high for 'about that long'. =) Depending on your cut of pork you might or might not have to add salt- if so I usually add about a tbsp or so for the whole pot. If you want some zing you can add one envelope of Sazon seasoning (Puerto Rican seasong) but it isnt neccesary. This is truly delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And ONE more....

    Beef Roast

    Wash and season your beef roast well. I use Lawry's, Cajun seasoning and garlic and Sazon. (Can you tell I like those????)

    Place roast in sprayed CP and add a chopped onion on top. Throw in some baby carrots. A few is okay but more is better! DO NOT ADD ANY WATER! I promise you! If you add water it will be tough. Cook on high for 5 hours or so or until you think its done. This is so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lil, those are fantastic recipes, thank you for sharing them!
    xox
    steph

    lol, sissy. There's some healthy stuff in here, too! ;-)

    Alison, definitely spice it up for your dh. I wish I could try the goat in it; it'll be great.
    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steph I"ve said it before and I'll say it again, You are a beautiful woman ,I can't wait to make this next week..Thanks for posting a wonderful recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. We made this last night and it was delicious! The spices were so good, and the addition of potatoes and tomatoes made it just right. My husband made cornbread and sauteed some spinach to go with--one of the best meals I've had in a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie, thank you so much for reporting back! YAYY! I'm so glad that the meal worked well for you.
    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  9. This - gluten-free Indian food in the crockpot - sounds great, especially since there is no oil. So much of the Indian food in restaurants appears to be filled with gluten or oil/greasiness. Do you think it would work to add other vegetables to this, maybe closer to the end so they stay a touch crispier...I'm thinking maybe peppers and peas would work (I am always trying to add vegetables).

    ReplyDelete
  10. ~M--those sound like great additions; good idea!

    xxoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just loved this one. And the whole house smells good with the spices cooking. I couldn't find this in the index when I went back and thought you might want to know. The index seemed to be missing quite a few recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous2/07/2009

    I made this lamb vindaloo yesterday. I liked it very much and my partner was blown away. I added a pound of sliced carrots and lots of mint leaves. Wish I would have thought of adding peas. I made sweet cornbread; with blueberry preserves, it complimented the vindaloo nicely.

    I was unsure about which wine would go with it, did a little research and one recommendation was Champagne. I had a bottle in the fridge, and it was a spectacular match. I never would have thought of Champagne but highly recommend it. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I don’t cook much but will definitely come back for more crockpot ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you think this same recipe would work with lamb chops, as opposed to the boneless lamb/stew meat? This is great, I've already tried your ribs, and I've always wanted to cook something with lamb, this is perfect! Love your blog! Also, what if we let the ingredients brew in the fridge overnight in a bowl? then we could transfer to crockpot and immediately cook, right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Victor,
    I think lamb chops would be fine. As for the marinating overnight in the fridge, yes, but do so in a plastic bag or container instead of the stoneware. The stoneware should be room temp when it's plugged in.

    --steph

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8/14/2009

    The original version of vindaloo came from Portugual and did not contain potatoes. It probably was originally called Carne de Vinha d' Alhos, the d'alhos giving rise to aloo. The inclusion of potatoes may very well be as a result of the name and the coincidental meaning of the word. Having said that, however, I must admit that I can't imagine eating vindaloo without potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just made this and it was delicious! I did tweak it a bit though... initially I skimped on the spices, since my husband does not like spicy food and also we used a 2lb leg of lamb instead of 3 like the recipe said. Then it seemed too bland to me when it was done, and like something was missing... I didn't have any ground cloves, so that might have made a difference. It seemed like the flavor had a top note of a bit of heat, and a bottom note of flavor, but no middle note to round it out. So I added about a teaspoon of mild curry powder, some salt, and a can of coconut milk and it made a lovely flavorful stew! I should have followed the recipe the first time, but I couldn't help myself... I am a confirmed recipe tinkerer. Thanks for sharing this recipe though, it inspired a wonderful meal!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We tried this a few days ago, subbing beef for the lamb. We decided that it probably would be really good, if you liked that combination of flavors, which we didn't. But everything cooked nicely and the beef was very tender.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I doubled the cayenne pepper...this was fantastic! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am going to make this in a few days. I am wondering if I should be adding some garam masala rather than cayenne and instead of water, perhaps some beef or vegetable stock.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bernessa7/20/2010

    Hey Steph! Gurrrrrl, you rock!!!!! I was wondering, do I really, really have to cut up the leg of lamb? I work crazy shifts & dont have the time (nor energy) to stand there & fight w/ a leg. HAHA Keep rockin! How's the baby & lady?
    O! Is there any beans that I can add to this? I have no clue!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Teresa/safira11/08/2010

    Just threw this into the crock, with the addition of a few sweet potatoes since I had some already cut up in the fridge. It already smells amazing!

    ReplyDelete