CrockPot Fried Rice Recipe

This is such a great idea! use up all the leftover rice, meat, veggies, throw in an egg and some seasoning and you're done! 

I make this recipe a few times a month -- 

it's a fantastic clean out the fridge and pantry meal and since we are gluten free, it's really the only way we can safely eat a fried rice because restaurants use a soy sauce that is derived from wheat.


this is such a great idea! use up all the leftover rice, meat, veggies, throw in an egg and some seasoning and you're done!





How to Make Fried Rice in the CrockPot Slow Cooker at Home



Day 123.

It's day 1 2 3! Which is more amusing to me than it should be with no coffee in sight.

So lets just say that you've been using your crockpot every single day and your refrigerator has a million little plastic containers in it filled with meat and veggies and rice and quinoa. 

And your kids are a bit tired of eating "mommy's leftovers!" for breakfast and lunch so you need a way to disguise them. 

Because you can't throw away food due the starving children thing and the global food shortage thing and you're Scottish.

You can use your leftovers to make fried rice.

for reals.

in the crockpot.

I know! It totally blew my mind, too.




The Ingredients.


the ingredients needed to make crockpot fried rice in the slow cooker
  • 2 cups leftover rice/quinoa (brown rice, etc. totally fine to use)
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce (LaChoy is gluten free)
  • 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce (Lea Perrins in US is gluten free)
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or 1/8 tsp iodized)
  • 1/2 diced yellow onion
  • 1 cup of whatever frozen or fresh vegetables you have on hand. (I had a bit of asparagus, some carrots and peas)
  • 2 cups leftover meat, diced (I had leftover chicken and 3/4 of a cheeseburger patty from a restaurant--I told you I was Scottish!)
  • 1 egg (no shell. DUH!)
  • sesame seeds for garnish (optional)



The Directions.

Plop everything on in there together.


Mix it around, and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or on low for 3-4. 

You are only heating everything up and cooking the egg.



The Verdict.

This tasted great! The kids were happy, and Adam happily ate 2 bowls.

Now I have one tupperware in the fridge instead of seventy-eight gazillion, which makes me happy.

Happy Friday!




Other take-out fake-out meals you should try for your Friday night "I really want to go out but we're trying to save money" fix:

  1. General Tso's Chicken
  2. Orange Beef
  3. Mongolian Beef
  4. Super Simple Thai Beef (great for beginners!!)
  5. Thai Coconut Soup
  6. Indian Butter Chicken
  7. Chicken Chow Mein
  8. Orange Chicken


Empty your fridge! This is such a great idea -- use up all the odds and ends from a week of cooking and turn it into yummy fried rice!

Slow Cooker: Take out Fake Out

Slow Cooker: Take out Fake Out

35 included recipes! Make your restaurant and take out favorites at home without the extra calories, grease, guilt, or gluten!




Fried Rice

Fried Rice

Yield: 6
Author: Stephanie O'Dea AYearofSlowCooking.com
Cook time: 3 HourTotal time: 3 Hour
how to make fried rice in the crockpot slow cooker

Ingredients

  • 2 cups leftover rice/quinoa 
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce 
  • 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce 
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or 1/8 tsp iodized)
  • 1/2 diced yellow onion
  • 1 cup of whatever frozen or fresh vegetables you have on hand. 
  • 2 cups leftover meat, diced
  • 1 egg 
  • sesame seeds for garnish (optional)

Instructions

  1. Plop everything on in there together.
  2. Mix it around, and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or on low for 3-4.
  3. You are only heating everything up and cooking the egg.


Do you love this recipe?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at June 16, 2022

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this recipe

  1. Do you use regular soy sauce? I can't touch it because of the gluten in it. Or is LaChoy GF?

    That looks absolutely yummy. I miss Chinese and Japanese food. But this could fill the void very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man. This ine makes me ridiculously excited. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really blowing my mind. I'll have to try it. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hockey Mom, YES! I used gf soy sauce. Tamari wheat free is gluten free, and La Choy is GF, but has soy.
    I like La Choy because it's readily available and dirt(ish!) cheap.

    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5/02/2008

    with or w/out chopsticks, this one is another winner. r u tackling fortune cookies next?? again, thanx for the crockspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, I'm having a hard time seeing my leftover sourkraut and keilbasa working in this one. =)

    But I will keep this in mind for when my fridge holds normal leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about the gadzillion tupperwares in the fridge!
    Looks like yet another tasty recipe and my hubby loves fried rice AND we just so happen to have leftover rice in the fridge that needs eaten. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't tell from the picture, but you meant cooked rice, right? Could you use uncooked, and how would you do that?

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jenny, yup, I used cooked brown rice and quinoa for this recipe. You can cook rice in your crockpot and I suppose after it's cooked, you could just add the fried rice spices and sauces, and serve from there! don't put in a raw egg though...

    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is totally the way I cook!! Love it! I'm so glad that someone else is so darn frugal that they can't just throw away 3/4 of a hamburger patty from the restaurant the night before.
    My kids all roll their eyes at me, but they usually gobble it up.
    I'm checking back soon to catch up on all your crock pot meals, I love crock too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5/09/2008

    First time poster here. Just wanted to say: So, so, so good. Just what I needed today. DH is away, leaving me with two littles (a 2YO and a 9-week-old), it's pouring out, and I was seriously craving some Chinese take-out, but so not wanting to drag two kidlets out in the rain. The only place that delivers stinks!

    My freezer always has baggies of chopped up chicken or beef to use for pizza or baked pot. toppings or in chili or stew.

    Using a few handfuls of diced BBQ chicken from the freezer, some frozen peas, a zucchini, some carrots, and a smallish head of broccoli resulted in a delicious fried rice.

    JB

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love fried rice but I had my doubts on how good it would be in the crock pot. Well........believe me, this receipe is the best! And so easy! I cut the cooking time on low to 2 hours - after all what actually needs cooked? I used frozen mix vegetables and cooked shrimp (cut up). This is definitely one dish that I'll be making again for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe I'm Scottish, too--I hear ya about that cheeseburger! Thanks for your great ideas on this blog, and all written with such wit! I am going to enjoy a lot of crockpot action. And I love fried rice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are FABulous! My husband calls it 'recycling' when I transform one dish into another LOL. But I'm feeling low on creativity, and tired of the old standbys. Fried rice sounds great! And I bet I can use leftover rice with velveeta and froz broccoli to make brocc rice casserole too...
    Thanks for a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am enjoying so many of your crock pot recipes, I just wish there was an easier way to print them!

    maggie@mannwieler.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carole4/14/2009

    ha-HA!! I happened upon this recipe last night and lo and behold, I had exactly 2 c. of brown rice leftover from last week's stir fry DISASTER- so I am PUMPED to try this today! I even have leftover raw sweet potato and broccoli and red pepper from Easter, so I chopped them all up and mixed everything up (mini shrimp from the freezer)in my big ol' crock (probably too big, but it's the only one I have, so I'll just keep an eye on it!).
    I cannot wait for lunch :-)

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carole4/14/2009

    It's official: FABULOUS!
    I don't know how you came up with this, but I'm SO glad you did!
    The sweet potato was not totally cooked (and therefore mushy)so it was just like having little carrots in there.Kudos for suggesting to use whatever you have in the fridge- otherwise I don't think I would've had the guts :-)

    Keep up the great work and THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous9/05/2009

    What an awesome way to use up leftovers! I am definitely going to make this today! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do you need the egg in it? We are egg free and dairy free in our house. Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous10/13/2009

    I made this tonight, as I had leftovers of meat, vegetables and rice. I used dried minced onion, (because I was out of fresh) baby bok choi, fresh carrots (finely chopped), frozen peas, pork from leftover ribs from the weekend. I did use an egg, but it disappeared, and next time I will use two eggs. Instead of worcestershire sauce (which I can't have because it has corn syrup in it), I used 1 tsp of fish sauce, 1 tsp of cane vinegar and a couple of heavy pinches of sugar. I cooked this about 3 hours on low in my 5 qt cooker. I then added chopped, cooked broccoli, vented my cooker (my cooker seals very well and condenses a lot of liquid), and cooked another 1.5-2 hours on low.

    This came out perfect! And it was a lot easier than doing on the stove, even if I used the same lefotvers.

    Thanks again!

    --RA

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! This is the second time in 30 minutes that I have been directed to you site via google. I knew that the pork loin recipe would be great, but after seeing the title of your blog I just couldn't believe it. So I took one of my go-to Chicken Fried Rice (Chicken Helper) box meals I was planning on serving for one of my gym nights and google searched for a crock pot recipe. Low and behold your site was suggested. I was AMAZED! I am planning the dinner menu for the next 2 weeks with the anticipation of getting a crock pot for Christmas. I was excited about being able to do plan-ahead meal for my family by using a crock pot, but you have serious inspired me. I'M HOOKED!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the idea of turning leftovers into a new dish, but using a slow cooker for this, sounds even better.
    I will try this with brown rice, which supposedly is healthier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous2/10/2010

    I've learned a valuable lesson today...NEVER start looking at your blog in the eveningtime!! (You are not good for someone who already has insomnia!) I just noticed the time, and it's already after 1 a.m.-- & I never even started the CP French toast I originally came to find the recipe for hours ago! Your posts are just so addictive...great recipes, humor, tips and so many links to other great sites.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am making this tomorrow. Thanks for the tip about La Choy being gluten free. I just had a craving for fried rice and knew your site wouldn't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  25. heather t5/23/2010

    Just made this for the first time - and quadrupled the recipe! Super easy and got rave reviews. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm a new-comer to this blog, but I am LOVING it. I just made the fried rice last week and my husband and I agreed it was the best fried rice we'd had a long time. Thanks for this awesome blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous7/28/2010

    This recipe is SOOOO good, a favorite of everyone I have made it for including the kids! It is a regular in our house. Love your site Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tried it. Love it! So excited about doing more crock pot stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this, so perfect for using up my leftovers in a way that DH likes! I made the corned beef thinking that he would like it (man food, right?) but he didn't.. absolutely loved it when i recycled all that stuff into this though. I've gotten multiple requests (this is the second time I've made it, but he asked me to make enough so he can have it for lunch for the next few days & dinner too) for this one, thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. 3eyedfish6/21/2011

    This was so good!!! It is hard to find vegetarian crock pot recipes that aren't some type of soup or chili (both of which I like, but variety is good too) so I was excited to try this. I used tamari soy sauce, peanut oil instead of the butter, vegan worcestershire, and a bunch of leftover veggies and rice. This will definitely go into regular rotation. Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I only have a 6.5quart slow cooker. Can I do this recipe in that? Also I was thinking of either getting a rice cooker or another smaller size slow cooker? What would you recommend? Is there alot of rice recipes that can be done in a slow cooker?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Kikkoman makes a Gluten-Free Soy Sauce! Soy this recipe will work for everyone with a crock pot. (Thank goodness for crock pots!)

    ReplyDelete
  33. "...and your Scottish." Love that line! My grandfather was from Strathspey and I totally get not being able to throw out food! Thanks for the continued great recipes. Just found your blog last month and have been using your recipes alot!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous5/14/2012

    For those who need to stay away from soy, try Coconut Amino Acids... It's alot like Braggs, as an alternate to soy sauce. I couldn't find it at my local health food or grocery store. My health food store ordered it for me, but I saw that I can order it online.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Any alternatives to soy sauce? I am gluten, dairy and soy allergic (it's the protein in them that I'm allergic to).

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Martina,

    Yes! Coconut Aminos are a big hit with the gfcgsf crowd as an alternative to soy sauce. I think you'll be pleased with it!
    (whole foods and other fancyier health food/natural food type stores carry Coconut Aminos.

    ReplyDelete
  37. sounds yummy but why the crock pot. i do this stove top in about 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Kelley, because I made this back in 2008 when I used the crockpot every day and posted a new recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I've started making my own chinese food ever since we moved and our take out places here STINK and are EXPENSIVE. I am making fried rice tomorrow, actually. I dont think I could make it in the crock because I need it to cook for 8 hours (while I'm at work), and I think it'd just burn, but I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Do you need to use the butter? Has anyone tried it without it?

    Using my crockpot would be great as I usually don't have time to totally prepare a meal between kid pickups, this would allow me to throw it together after bringing one kid home and then returning to a warmed up meal - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I have gone to freezer meals for the crockpot for about 98% of meals, but this is one I'll try. I live alone and I refuse to cook anymore, so I assemble freezer meals (many adapted from here) and cooking means dumping an ice block in the crockpot and turning it on. I realized a couple of months ago, I could be freezing cooked rice, so I have been doing that, no more wasting what I didn't eat for me! I usually have some little baggies with a cup of frozen rice cooked rice in the freezer, so this would be terribly easy when I wanted something different, or needed a side dish to go with one of my freezer meals because it was not a casserole, only the meat.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Stumbled across you again this week after finding your hot dog crock recipe the other week - and you are making me laugh again! As for those who ask, "Why fried rice in the crockpot?" I was looking for a recipe b/c I need my one and only large skillet to make the Chinese main dish AND the fried rice and it has been too crazy to do both right at dinner, so I was hoping for a way to have the fried rice in the crock so all I have to prep is main dish at dinner time.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Absolutely delicious! My veggies were celery, onion, carrots & broccoli, then we added 1/2 to 1 lb of chicken chopped and made it a complete meal. I also added a touch of hoison sauce to give it little sweetness. Will definitely make again, but might try steak.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Anonymous9/11/2015

    so I was going through your newsletter from 9/9/15 and Leftovers for Breakfast was listed just before your Fried Rice and it gave me a great idea to chop up my leftover beef, peppers and onion frittata to use in this fried rice. Can't wait to try this as well as some of you take out substitute recipes listed above. Our budget is tight and the local oriental restaurant closed :o / TC

    ReplyDelete
  45. Anonymous2/24/2017

    Super silly question - cooked meat or shrimp, right?

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Anon,
    Yes, for this one, use cooked meat.

    ReplyDelete
  47. How do I adjust your recipes for a 4 qt crockpot if you do it in a 6? Should I change the cook time? Or amount of ingredients? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I had some leftover rice I wanted to repurpose, and being able to make in the slow cooker was additionally helpful. I think next time I will try reducing the amount of butter and add a splash of sesame oil.

    ReplyDelete