CrockPot Fried Chicken Recipe



Day 135.

My friend LuAnn has this awesome oven-fried chicken recipe that she makes to bring to picnics. I vividly remember standing at a picnic bench shoveling little chicken drummettes and wings in my mouth--and not caring who was watching-- at a first birthday party.

They were so very good.

I was so excited when I finally got the recipe, and was eager to test it out on my own.

It has MSG in it.

I just can't do it. I can't knowingly put MSG in something. Which sucks, because man, those drumsticks were the best.


I tried to create my own version (minus the MSG) over the weekend. They were good, but not as good.



The Ingredients.

18 thawed drumsticks (or however many will fit nicely into your crockpot)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour (I used Pamela's)
2 teaspoons seasoned salt (maybe even more. read verdict below)
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon black pepper




OKAY: a lot of you seem to want the MSG version. In the interest of saving myself time from emailing this a few times a day, I'm going to copy and paste the MSG version ---- use at your own risk! I'm not a doctor, or a lawyer, or anything remotely near the sort and am hereby releasing myself from any and all liability. ;-)
instead of the seasons up above, use this: 2 tsp pepper 2 tsp paprika 1 tsp garlic salt 1 tsp ground marjoram 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp Ac'cent 


The Directions.

--combine all the spices and the flour in a freezer bag or in a shallow dish. Dredge each chicken piece well, and plop into your crockpot. I used the shallow dish method, because we were out of freezer bags.

--when all the chicken is in the crock, pour 1/4 cup of melted butter over it.
--cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 8-10.

The flavor on this is like fried chicken - without it swimming in oil all day long. Super tasty -- you can eat the drummettes either hot or cold. Great picnic take along dish!


The Verdict.

They needed more salt. I am such a chicken (ha! chicken! so didn't plan that...) when it comes to salting food. I used 2 teaspoons of seasoned salt, but I probably could have used a whole tablespoon. And maybe some more onion powder.

The pieces of chicken on top and near the sides of the crock got a bit crispy, which was a nice surprise. We've all been munching on the drumsticks for lunch the past few days. I like them better cold, the kids like it heated and chopped up with barbecue sauce.

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at May 14, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Anonymous5/14/2008

    Hi Stephanie -
    Lemon Chicken Lynn here!
    I have never bought or used MSG, but was wondering how much the original recipe said to add. Have you ever used, bought or been to a Penzey's Spices store? They have THE BEST spices in the world! Check them out, stores all over or can buy online, well worth it and not much more than grocery store spices (not meaning the 50 cent ones). This recipe looks good, thanks!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5/14/2008

    interesting that u should mention msg today. I just heard that there's no msg in Mrs. Dash's seasonings, and they serve the taste-good-to-the-taste-buds need. worth a try for those of us allergic (headaches) to msg. ah, chicken, where would we be w/out 'em? your crock-fried chicken recipe is another keeper, thanx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dumb questions time:
    1) I know MSG is bad for me, but why?
    2) What IS MSG?
    3) Is there a substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second the comment about Penzey's Spices. There is one right near my office and I stop there all the time to get get ready made bbq rubs and other spices for my recipes. Couldn't really speculate on what MSG adds to the equation. What do you think the effect of not using it in your recipe was?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5/14/2008

    "Monosodium glutamate is a sodium salt of glutamic acid, a non-essential amino acid. It is used as a food additive and is commonly marketed as a "flavour enhancer"."
    Although once stereotypically associated with foods in Chinese restaurants; it is now found in many common food items, particularly processed foods. [3] Examples include:
    Canned soups.
    Pre-prepared stocks often known as stock cubes.
    Condiments such as barbecue sauce.
    Frozen dinners.
    Frozen seafood.
    Common snack foods such as flavored potato chips and flavored tortilla chips.
    Most fast food.
    Instant meals such as the seasoning mixtures for instant noodles.
    Courtesy of Wikipedia.
    I recall seeing Penzey's had MSG, that's what made me think of Penzeys Spices. I love their celery salt, garlic salt, double vanilla, and their cinnamon is, well, there's no comparison!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I just found your site. I had no idea there were others out there that had the same kind of love for their crockpots that I have for mine! I can't wait to try some of the recipes you have posted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks, Lynn, for posting that wikipedia.

    Jared, I don't know----the recipe only called for 1/2 t of Accent, but from what I've read that's what makes KFC chicken so good too...


    I have not had Penzey's spices. I don't know if there is one around here; I'm going to check.

    Thanks, Michelle! I'm having a lot of fun with this.

    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5/14/2008

    I will have to try this recipe.

    It sounds so good.

    I have not used my crockpot in far too long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'd eat it like your kids :-)

    Sounds like a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephanie, I've been enjoying your blog since a friend sent me the link a while back. I have a request, though. When you post a recipe, like this one, that was originally an oven recipe, can you post the oven time/temp, too? I'm saving the ones that sound like something we'd use, in my recipe program, and I'd like to have both options. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm just found your blog, and this is the first recipe I've tried. I used your 'revised' measurements, and it was SO VERY GOOD! Husband and children, singing my praises! Thanks for a great recipe, and a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7/18/2008

    I made this today, changing the seasonings a little to suit me, but it was great. the meat fell apart; it was so tender and very flavorful

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would the cooking time have to be changed at all if I used boneless, skinless thighs or breasts? What if I'm using a 6qt crockpot?

    Also, could you please share LuAnn's original recipe (with MSG)?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made this meal tonight using your suggestions to add extra onion powder and seasoned salt. It was delicious!! Definitely a keeper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. We made this tonight, (followed your book recipe, it was a bit different) But I wanted to come and find your blog of it cause it was so good. We have rarely had chicken in a crockpot be SO moist, usually is fairly dried out. This was amazing. I used the extra salt and seasonings like you said and instead of regular seasoned salt I used Lemon and Pepper seasoned salt, it was falling off the bone...couldnt even pick it up out of the crockpot. And this wasnt fancy chicken. It was freezer burnt, been in our freezer for a long time and I needed to get it out of there and figure out something to do with it, so I opened your book. :) We took the skin off because...ewww skin. And it was super flavorfull and my husband was loving me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So you don't stir this much? You just kind of let it be the whole time? I only made 8 legs, so hopefully they won't burn. I had a crappy HUGE crock pot for years and it burned anything that didn't totally fill it up. Makes me nervous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sally D.1/20/2012

    I was so glad to find this recipe because I had a pack of frozen chicken legs that needed some love. I used a combo of about 1 tsp. of regular old salt, pepper and Old Bay seasoning in the flour mix for dredging. It came out great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. yukonmom998/09/2012

    My daughter and grand-daughter and I loved this. I added a small splash of liquid applewood smoke to the melted butter, needed a little more. Think next time I will try Hickory.

    We loved it

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kathie8/22/2012

    Not sure you realize this but the seasoning salt used in this recipe contains MSG and therefore you cannot claim that this recipe does NOT contain any MSG.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just wanted to say I made this today exact to your recipe with just an extra dash of seasoned salt sprinkled on the top at the end and it was delicious!!!! Melted off the bone, super easy and made everyone's tummy happy!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. phoenix pendragon9/06/2012

    well, i tried this ... was excited to think of crispy drums in 90 degree heat... however they came out flabby and soggy.. even the ones around the edge :( still looking for "fried" chicken in my slow cooker :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your site! I made this last week and it was absolutely amazing. I may have used too much butter, because it didn't get crispy, but fall-off-the-bone tender. Still wonderful! I am going to attempt it again tonight because it went over so well with the kids last time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Going to try this tonight, only with legs as apposed to drum sticks. May cut the thighs and do them separate. I'll let you know what the family thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi can you use drumsticks that are not all the way thawed?

    thanks,

    stacey

    ReplyDelete
  26. FYI....I found out what to sub for MSG from Todd Wilbur when he was on the Dr. Oz show last summer......you use 2 TBS of FISH SAUCE in place of the msg in 4 cups of water for the marinade and soak the chicken for about 4 hours before cooking. Pat dry, then coat with your flour and seasonings to cook. You do NOT taste the fish sauce but it makes the chicken taste as though your marinade had MSG in it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I actually just put the chicken in the slow cooker now. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I did use different spices in it and added a little ground cayenne pepper to it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have an infrared oven (don't buy the NuWave) and you can use it to put a crisp skin on the chicken after you have crockpotted the poultry. Now back to the NuWave I didn't use it that much and it went south on me in only a year, the next one I bought it was a "Big Boss Rapid Wave" and its a true infrared oven because the infrared element lights up when it roasting and the NuWave just had a heating coil and a fan for circulating, not a true infrared like they advertise, plus the "Rapid Wave" was about forty dollars cheaper too. These ovens are quite handy because you don't have to pre-heat it and waste all that energy, plus they cook fairly fast. Sorry I got off topic but I hope it helped. L.D.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your recipe says flour, but your picture shows baking and pancake mix. That's a big difference, because of all the other things that are in the baking mix. Which should it be?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Domm, ah, that's because we are gluten free. It's hard to find a good all-purpose gluten free flour mix that behaves the same way, so I opt for a baking mix. If you aren't gluten free, just use a regular flour!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Quick question. We don't eat boned meats...past vegetarians...can this be done with chicken breasts or tenders??

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Micha, absolutely!
    Chicken tenders, breast pieces, or thighs will work just fine, and I think you'll like the seasoning a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi!
    Stephanie i am in my 80's so a little msg isn't going to hurt me. When you ate the chicken with the MSG you thought it was so good. I ate MSG in lots of things eating out before MSG was ever thought about being bad. II don't think it hurt me as i only got it when i ate out and that wasn't that often . I have MSG in the pantry but have never used it as yet.
    When you post these recipes would you print the original recipe and if the don't use it just put it in parenthesis that you didn't use. I for one would love to know how much MSG was used as i am going to make this and will now have to guess.
    Thanks, and love your recipes.


    .

    ReplyDelete
  34. The reason your chicken isn't crispy is that it is sitting in the drippings from the chicken. if you place several balls of aluminum foil, or if you are lucky enough to have a grate that fits your crock pot. put them in the bottom and it will raise your chicken up out of the drippings. this will give you crispier chicken. NO it will not be like oven baked but it is close.

    ReplyDelete
  35. LM Spradlin8/16/2017

    You had me with Fried! So here's what I did.... I used 1/3 cup of bisquick, not quite a full on Tablespoon of seasoned salt (shoulda used less), 2 teaspoons of Mrs Dash original seasoning. I also used boneless, skinless thigh because that was what I had in the house. I did spray my crock with non stick spray and topped with 1/2 cup melted butter. I regret that I didn't take a picture. This was just a little too salty for us, but will not deter me from making again. Served with chicken gravy and mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I made this tonite and it was very good. Even my picky eater liked it. However it did not resemble fried chicken in the slightest. I used the Accent recipe. I only had 7 drumsticks so I used a 4 quart slow cooker. I used a rack to keep the drumsticks up and out of the melted butter and accumulated broth. I cooked it for 5 hours on high and one hour on low. The seasoning mix was barely enough, would have been appropriate for 8 drumsticks. You would need a lot more for 18 drumsticks. As I said earlier it was delicious but by no stretch of the imagination was there any crispiness to it. I often buy a 10 lb. bag of leg quarters so will be making this again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete