CrockPot Corn on the Cob Recipe

Making corn on the cob in the crockpot slow cooker is a fantastic way to cook a WHOLE bunch while not needing to keep an eye on the stove to barbecue.
This is a great technique for cooking for a pot luck, or church event. Enjoy!!

[Originally posted in 2008, during my Year of Slow Cooking.]


this is how you cook corn in the crockpot slow cooker

Day 152.

Remember how good and how easy the crockpot baked potatoes were? CrockPot corn on the cob is just as easy, and doesn't take as long to cook. 

The corn steams in it's own juices and is cooked to absolute perfection.


The Ingredients.
1 ear of corn per person, approximately 10 to 12 ears can fit in a 6-quart slow cooker.

yes, you can cook corn right in the crockpot slow cooker!
--fresh corn
--aluminum foil OR parchment paper

OR just fresh corn --- no wrapping needed!! :-)

Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Here are my recommended crockpot slow cookers.


The Directions.

shuck the corn, or get your kids to do it. 

because I'm pretty sure that is why kids were invented.

wrap each ear in aluminum foil or parchment paper, if desired.

place the foil-wrapped corn in the crockpot

DO NOT ADD WATER

cover and cook on high for 2 hours.

I like my corn to have a crunch--two hours was perfect for us, but check and taste for your family's preference.

YOU do NOT need to add water --- even if you cook without the foil or parchment paper.


PS: If you don't want to use Aluminum Foil, you don't have to. 

You can even leave the corn in the husks if you'd like (but I think those little stringy things are weird ...)

Anyway, if you're not into the foil you can simply plop the washed and clean corn in the pot. If you are fancy you can add a bit of butter and herbs and some Parmesan cheese -- or you can just let them steam in their own juice.

There is truly no need to add water if you have a good sealing crockpot.

#booyah!!
:-)

these are the crockpots I use and recommend: Steph's Favorite Slow Cookers.


The Verdict.


Absolutely perfect corn.



feed the whole family at one time! Steam corn perfectly. You can use foil or not.

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at May 31, 2017

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Anonymous5/31/2008

    I've done corn on the cob in my Crockpot before with water in it, but I never tried without the water. What a great idea! This way you don't have to deal with a crock full of boiling hot water when you take the corn out.

    Did you have any trouble fitting the corn in your Crockpot? When I made it with the water, the corn I had was a little big for my pot - and cutting them smaller was just an impossible task.

    I am sure you've already heard this a million times before, and will probably hear it a million times after me, but I love your blog!

    The first thing I do in the morning is go to your blog hoping you've already posted the new recipe for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so.... it's really okay to run the crockpot with no liquid in it??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Crockpot Lady!
    This is an awesome idea! My dad used to cook corn on the grill - he would shuck his and wrap it in foil with butter but my mom and I would remove the outer, dirty layers, then peel back the green, remove the corn silks, and put back the green and steam/grill the corn that way, without foil. I wonder if I could do the same technique of using the husks instead of using foil... :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5/31/2008

    I just stumbled on your blog and love your site. How easy this would be! I can't wait to try it!Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well shoot, I didn't have any corn, so I clicked on your link and did the potatoes. I used LARGE potatoes and cooked them on high for 5 hours. DH hates my crockpot, so I didn't tell him how I cooked them. He loved them. I will do this all summer to keep the house cooler.

    Now to run and get some corn!!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I am definitely trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you blog and ideas....

    ReplyDelete
  8. okay, I meant your blog not you blog. It's late.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6/02/2008

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Flippin' amazing... Im going to tell everyone I know!!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous6/09/2008

    I had to try this! I only made 3 ears in case it flopped. NO!!! It was very good. Very crisp, and hot. I will make this again. It beats boiling water and trying to figure out how long to boil them. Now I don't have to buy a 12-20qt pot just for corn! Yeah! Only downside is all the foil needed. Too bad you can't crockpot the corn without foil. Great recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi jennifer, I'm so glad that it worked for you!

    the foil: I am guessing that it would work if you used the corn husks---I don't have any corn on hand, or I'd try it, but I think you can peel back the husks, remove the silky thready things, re-husk and then crock. The only drawback is that I don't know how you would really know if the husks were clean. It wouldn't be a problem if you grew the corn yourself, or knew the organic gardener, etc.

    if you try it, let me know!
    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6/18/2008

    What an awesome recipe! Thanks for suggesting this idea. Everyone loved the corn. It was the best we've ever had! Thank you for your wonderful blog. I've gotten lots of fabulous ideas from it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Lisa! We've made it in the crock now a few times, and I will not go back to boiling it. The corn is just so flavorful when it cooks in only it's own juices; it's amazing.

    thanks for reporting back!
    oxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Stephanie,

    I made 4 ears of corn today in my round crockpot and they turned out great. I used the method I explained above (rewrapping the husks) instead of foil and they turned out great after cooking on high for 2 hours. Awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooh, ~m, thank you for reporting back! I'm so glad it worked!
    yay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous7/10/2008

    I like corn on the cob to be more well done, not crunchy; does anyone else? Should I add an hour or two to the cooking time?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous7/15/2008

    In reference to the foil - I, too, used to use foil when grilling corn (I never thought of using the crockpot until I saw your recipe for it).
    I now never use foil. I just trim the flappy green pieces and some of the top threads off the corn and cook it husk (no opening and pulling out the threads).
    Once cooked, you shuck them and you won't believe how easily the threads come off. It's unbelievable - no more fighting with threads that stick to the corn.
    Only problem is they are really hot and that makes them a bit hard to handle but so worth it.
    I did read somewhere recently a woman recommended running them under cold water first just so the husks aren't so hot to touch.
    If you are worried about issues with the unwashed husks in the crock, once cooked and shucked, you can rinse under water and not lose any of the heat. They'll still be plenty warm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous8/08/2008

    Another recipe to add to my crockpot collection. The family LOVED the results! I used fresh Olathe sweet corn and 2 hours left it nice and crunchy. I will use this method over and over again.....

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Holy guacamole!! I cannot believe I have not found this blog sooner! I am SO putting you on my RSS feed! You'll have to check out the photos on my blog of my ribs in the crockpot. LOL

    http://notafraidtouseit.blogspot.com/2008/04/just-like-betty-crocker-but-not.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. The second anonymous poster has it right...no need to peel back the husk and get the silk off...just cook it with it on and shuck afterwards. Yes it can be hot but just let it sit off the head for a minute and you're fine. The silks come off so easily. I haven't done corn in the crock pot yet but have done it this way in the microwave. I rinse the corn in water first and cook 2-3 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. this might be a stupid question...

    can I use frozen corn? should I defrost them first? I love corn on the cob and I am seriously in love with my crockpot, so I really want to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'll be doing this for our next party.

    @Moonbug If your corn is fresh you shouldn't need to cut it to break it down. You should be able to snap the cobs in half with your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi La Pixie,

    I don't think that's a stupid question at all! I think the frozen corn would work quite well. I'd make them the exact same way, but add about 30 minutes to the time.

    xoxo steph

    ReplyDelete
  26. I reasonlly read where you could cook corn on the cob in a slow cooker but never try it and couldn't remember where I read it. Thanks this sounds really good and easy and I'm going to try it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Made this today using the little frozen corn cobs. Put a little margarine on each one using a paper towel, sprinkled a little Vegetable Magic (it's a spice) and wrapped each one and let them cook for a few hours. I used them right from the freezer, so it took a while to get them all cooked up.

    Big hit, thank you! Plus it wasn't much work for me, which I totally love hehehe :) I think I'll make this one at Christmas too.

    Very glad to have found your site with real recipes, not just the usual pour a can of cream soup on top type stuff. Already have a few bookmarked to try out in the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am making your ribs recipe right now and am wondering if I can just put the corn on top for the last two hours?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Cara,

    yup! That would work just fine.
    yummy. I've been craving ribs.

    xox steph

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great idea. I'm making this right now with the tin foil. Next time I'll try keeping the husks on. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my word. We made this yesterday, and it is the best way to make corn on the cob, aside from possibly grilling it (but we don't have a grill). The ears weren't so boiling hot that my kids couldn't grab them, they were perfectly cooked and tasted sweeter than I'd have thought supermarket corn that had sat in my fridge for days could taste. My husband pronounced this idea "brilliant." I may have to ge a second crockpot so we can do corn on the cob as a side dish with other things cooked in the crock this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Kim C.7/18/2011

    Has anyone tried to season and butter the corn before wrapping it in foil. I wonder if it would all leak out? It would make for easy serving.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Tried it and loved it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous7/02/2012

    Making Pulled pork in my crock pot tomorrow and just bought corn at the farmers mkt! I knew I could potatoes thought this might work and glad it will!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This was WAY better than I thought it would be. I add a sprig of thyme and a couple leaves of basil before wrapping up the cobs in the foil. I cooked on high for two hours and then low for one hour, then turned the temp to warm until hubby was ready to eat. Where the corn came in contact with the crock had a nice roast to it. This is a fantastic way to deal with corn when you have a ton of other things to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  36. WAY late to the table, but I do this all the time! I also butter the corn before wrapping it up in the foil and it's a huge it.

    I have also been known to make a compound butter with chili powder & lime zest for the corn. For my high school reunion last year, 3 of us cooked and I made something like 100 half-ears of corn using this method and it worked like a charm! I'm still getting asked about the chili-lime corn too.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Singing Rain8/07/2012

    What a blessing! Were just "gifted" a dozen ears of corn.
    Have been very sick with Lyme for several weeks and was considering experimenting with an "unhusked method" of cooking when this came up. LOVE your site and all the suggestions. And thanks to all those who participate.
    Had to laugh at Karen considering a 2nd crockpot. We have 2 large AND 2 small ones - and there's only 2 of us! (The older of which will be 84 in a couple weeks...)

    ReplyDelete
  38. yoga anon8/27/2012


    Worked great didn't shuck it just put it in crock pot on high for about 2 hr (no water) went off to my yoga class, shucked it afterwards tasted perfect

    ReplyDelete
  39. We have often slow smoked mini or whole ears of corn when we were slow smoking meat. We tried our slow cooker with a butter rubbed on the corn and Cajun seasoning, cooking on high for 3 hours and found the results different, though pleasant, a good change. We will do it again, sometime.

    Thanks for the idea and ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sounds good. Can a pad of butter be added with the corn in the tinfoil?

    ReplyDelete
  41. I did this recipe on Wednesday & I did it longer using another recipe & it was good but now thatI see that she cooked it for 2 hours, I will have to agree....I like my corn well done...when I did it longer it was crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Made this and it's a hit!!! I left the husks on and it was super easy to shuck when it was done and then I wrapped a paper towel around the corn and moved my hand around and got the last of the silk off. Then I just added a little popcorn salt ('cause it tastes like butter) and pepper and dug right in!!! So yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love cooking corn on the cob this way! I do like to wrap it in foil with a sprig of rosemary and a little bit of butter. Yum! This is such an easy and quick way to make corn on the cob, and frees you up to do other stuff if you have people coming over for a cook out.

    ReplyDelete