CrockPot Pound Cake Recipe



Day 96.

I lost a bit of weight when I was sick over spring break. That means that I am able to eat an entire pound cake all by myself, right?

I did share. Sort of.

okay, not really.


The Ingredients.

2 cups of all-purpose flour (I used Pamela's Baking Mix because we happen to be gluten free)
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar (I totally wasted $4 on a new bottle before remembering I had a bunch of it in the garage from when we made playdough. Ooh. I should try to make playdough in the crockpot. (UPDATED, I DID!! :-) )
-1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 medium size to large eggs. I know. it's a lot. but it tastes soooooooooo good!
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

The Directions.

Use a 2-quart slow cooker. Or a 6-quart slow cooker with a loaf pan inside.

melt butter in a mixing bowl

add the rest of your ingredients. I have no idea in what order I added them, and I am of the school of thought that it doesn't really matter. 

I will probably never win The Ultimate Baking Challenge.

mix with a hand or stand mixer until ingredients are well incorporated

grease the inside of your crockpot. I used my mini 1.5 qt (2-quart) crock for this recipe, because I was eager to see how it baked. 

It did a good job!--- if you don't have a mini crock, you can dump the batter directly into your big one or plop it in a loaf pan or similar heat-resistant dish inside of your crock stoneware. 

Don't add any water.



















--prop the lid open with a chopstick or the end of a wooden spoon. I started with a chopstick, but needed to switch to a toothpick because the dough rose SO much that the chopstick started getting stuck in the dough. 

If you are using a large crockpot, that won't happen to you.


--cook on high until an inserted toothpick or knife comes out clean. This took about 4 hours in my mini crockpot. I probably checked it too often, but I was excited.


This smells so wonderful while it's cooking.

 I wasn't thinking clearly though, because I did this the same day I roasted garlic, so one side of the kitchen was bakery-like and the other was like The Stinking Rose.


oh well.

This is how you make a moist and delicious pound cake the easy way -- you put the whole thing into your crockpot! I love this super simple poundcake recipe. You can even use a gluten free baking mix instead of all purpose flour!


The Verdict.

I ate it all. Every last crumb. One of the edges was slightly burnt--I didn't care, but it is something to note. I was pleasantly surprised at how nicely it fell out of the greased stoneware.


I'm really enjoying baking without hovering.

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at April 05, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. 6 eggs is not too many when you have 42 gazillion of them in your fridge from your goofy chickens outside! Thanks for the recipe to help me make a dent in my stash!

    I'm not usually so forcefull with the exclamation points! I don't know what's wrong with me today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! I often check it *before* email in the mornings. Do you think this would be possible adapt this to work with a cake mix - leaving out the water and venting the lid? I tried to make funfetti previously, but, um, it did not work out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4/06/2008

    Wow...a cake in a crockpot; like the idea, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Stinking Rose is the best restaurant EVER!! Garlic in the crockpot rocks. Did it yesterday and ate every last bite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just FOUND your blog the other day! Great job. Love your humor. I read it backwards starting with 1/1. What a wonderful endevour!

    My pound cake is in the crock pot right now! It's only been 20 minutes, but I'm checking too! Four hours is a looong time. Might have to go shopping! hehe Hope my loaf pan in my 6qt crock works! It was really easy to make and clean up too!

    Can't wait to try out many of your other recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. katiekate, I love exclamation points! and I am really wanting chickens. one of these days, I'm getting out on some acreage.

    lyssa, my advice if you are going to use a cake mix, is to make it the correct way, then just use the crock to bake it. It will take a while, but it should eventually set up. get out of the house so you aren't obsessively checking! ;-)


    thanks, jj and tracey!

    kastex, lol, you can't check after only 20 minutes! ;-)

    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4/07/2008

    you say you used a baking mix instead of flour. what was in the baking mix?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anon--

    we bake and cook gluten-free in our house, so I use Pamela's baking mix as my all-purpose flour.

    if you don't have wheat allergies, I'd use a regular old all-purpose flour.

    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4/07/2008

    Any thoughts on high altitude instructions? I know! I'm high maintenance! LOL! I assume I just follow the high altitude instructions on the package? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  10. nope, not high-maintenance!

    I don't have a clue. I'm most-definitely at sea level--I don't even know how regular hih-altitude baking works. Do you cook it longer? a shorter amount? are the recipes actually altered?

    ack! I have no idea! hopefully someone will chime in... but yes, I'd follow the package directions if I had nothing else to follow.

    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  11. For high altitude (regular baking) I usually just add 2 T of regular flour. I haven't tried baking anything in the crockpot though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum!!! I just found your website this morning and I am loving it. I am always looking for things to cook in the crock pot. Don't have much time with running around here and there for kids so this is great!

    I can't wait to try your recipes. Thank you so much for this site:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous4/16/2008

    I had no idea this was possible! omg i must try it. now? or tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have this in the crockpot right now. I definitely would want to make it in a bigger crock (I'm using a 2qt and the cake is rising to the top). It's been almost 4 hours and the top is still really wet. I'm thinking it may be an epic fail. Guess I'll have to try my 4qt next.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous7/06/2010

    FYI: Pound Cake got its name from the traditional recipe that called for a pound of each of the main ingredients...eggs, flour, butter, and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made this yesterday. My kids loved it! My husband thought I was trying to sneak in vegetables though (like in Deceptiviely Delicious) but I wasn't. It did give me ideas for next time thoough!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This cake is crazy good grilled..with strawberries and whipped cream! I made it last summer, while berries were in season...it's on my counter baking again now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 9 months pregnant and with plenty or insomnia I spontaneously made this. My husband was wondering what I was doing, but when he found out he did not protest. The batter is yummy; cannot wait to try the cooked cake! Thanks for posting so many great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous8/31/2012

    i just made this today and it does smell awesome. A couple of notes: i don't know how this would fit in a 1.5 quart... either yours is REALLY big, or mine is REALLY small! i looked at how much batter i had and thought "er, no way," and put it in my 4.5 quart instead. Well. Once it was done, it had 3/4 filled that puppy. So! i dunno if it's because i used regular flour or what... but man. No way would that have worked in the 1.5. No way, no day.

    Also, the top of mine took a LONG time to set... and the sides are a bit burned because of waiting for the top to set up, it was moist to the point of wetness until about 3.5 hours in. Maybe i had it *too* vented?

    Too hot to eat as yet, but i'm looking forward to tasting it before whisking it off to a potluck thing i'm going to! i hope it comes out of the insert okay :/

    ReplyDelete