Candied Walnuts CrockPot Recipe


Day 104.

In the last few days spring has definitely sprung around here.

It's been in the mid-70s and the flowers are in full bloom.

So are my allergies, but that's another story...

Being out in the warm air, going for nice long runs, and gardening make me want to eat salad all day long.

The kids really like salad, and enjoy picking out their own toppings.

We usually keep everything separate and create a mini-salad bar on the kitchen counter.

Their favorite topping? Candied walnuts.

Guess what? Candied nuts are terribly easy and very inexpensive to make in the crockpot.

You can make them in bulk and freeze in little bags to defrost at your convenience for salad toppings, trail mix, or to munch on right out of the bag.


The Ingredients.



  • --2 T butter (I use salted)
  • --2 cups walnut halves
  • --1/4 cup brown sugar


The Directions.

Plop everything into your crockpot and cook on high for an hour.

After an hour, mix the nuts with a wooden spoon all around the yummy gooeyness.



Spread out a length of Release foil or parchment paper onto the counter, or a few cookie sheets.

Dump the nuts out onto the foil or paper, and spread around with your wooden spoon.

The nuts will be hot. Keep little fingers away for at least 15 minutes.

When cool, the nuts will crisp up and are ready to be used.


The Verdict.

Delicious.

I saved a handful and made the brie again, using walnuts this time.

The walnuts gave a really nice woody flavor to the brie. Yum!

The kids adored these, and munched on them all evening.


Do you love this recipe?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at April 13, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this recipe

  1. Anonymous4/13/2008

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4/13/2008

    what size crock pot did you use for this one??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennfurr---I used my large oval 6qt. I should have specified, sorry!

    It would have worked in the mini, though. You're essentially just melting everything together. :-)

    -steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy!!! I love sweet and crunchy nuts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4/13/2008

    Thanks! I've been leery ever since I made overnight oatmeal in my 5qt and the recipe was for a 3qt. It came out a burned mess because of the change in surface area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe looks great. I often have candied walnuts on my salad, but hate buying them (they are so expensive!). I'll definitely be giving this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog--I love it! OK if I link?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4/13/2008

    This looks so good!!! You are a genius.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4/13/2008

    I made these to go in holiday goodies. However mine was a little different, and like a jerk I dont have the exact recipe :)

    My recipe used powdered sugar.

    After cooking in the crock, I put them in a bowl and tossed them w. a spice mixture. I dont have the measurments anymore, but I know it had cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ground ginger, and cardamom. It seems very spicy, but there was so much sugar it wasnt bad at all.

    Also I used pecans btw. Freaking awesome. It was everyones favorite thing in their goodie basket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. anon, they sound wonderful! They'd be my favorite thing too. Thank you for sharing the "recipe!"

    --steph

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummm, I'm loving this one! This sounds so much easier that on the stovetop or in an oven. I'm definitely trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Speaking of allergies, wal-nuts are the one food I am allergic to. *weeps*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, what a fantastic idea!!!!!!!!! I LOVE candied nuts, though I usually use pecans or almonds. I would never have thought of using the crockpot. I'll be trying this one as soon as I get off the computer.

    Love your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to make these for a crock pot party I'm going to tomorrow. Thanks for the cool recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like how you include a verdict with your recipes. I think it's important for people to know how you and your family reacted to the food. Good recipes btw.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Made these for a crockpot party last night (used them as a salad topper) and everyone loved them! I'm glad I made a double batch because I've been enjoying snacking on them all day today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made these earlier this week and made an absolute pig of myself! DH and most of my co-workers enjoyed them too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! This is the first recipe of yours that I've tried, although I've printed off a bunch and come here often! They were so good, and super easy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just made these (with pecans) and darn it if they don't all fit in my air-tight container (even though I already ate about 2 handfuls. Drat. I guess I just have to eat more.

    ReplyDelete