New York Times best-selling author, slow cooking expert, mom of three
  • Follow me
  • Subscribe to newsletter
  • Follow me on Pinterest
  • Follow me on Twitter
  • Become a fan on Facebook
  • Follow me on Google Plus

A Year of Slow Cooking

Sunday, March 30, 2008

CrockPot Ratatouille Recipe



Day 90!
This does not have rats in it. Nor did little rats come out of the woodwork to sit on my shoulder while I was chopping the vegetables.

My children were sorely disappointed.

Ratatouille is a traditional French vegetable stew. It is usually made with eggplant and squash, and whatever vegetables you have growing in your garden. This ratatouille was made from vegetables found at Safeway.

The Ingredients.
--1 eggplant
--1 zucchini
--1 yellow squash that looks like a zucchini ---no idea what it is really called
--1 can peeled whole tomatoes (drained)
--1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes (and juice)
--1/2 yellow onion
--1 yellow pepper
--1 orange pepper
--3 cloves minced garlic
--2 T olive oil
--1 t Italian seasoning
--1 t kosher salt
--1/2 t black pepper
--1/2 cup water


The Directions.

Chop all of your vegetables into mouth-sized chunks. I didn't peel anything.

Layer into your crockpot, cover with the spices, canned tomatoes, oil, and water.

Cook on low for 5-6 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. The ratatouille is done when the vegetables reach desired tenderness and the flavors have mingled. This will create more liquid on it's own, but it isn't overly soupy.


The Verdict.

I liked this better than I thought I would. The vegetables have a great flavor and they were nicely cooked. This would be a great pairing with a big ol' hunk of meat.


The kids wouldn't touch it because of the rat thing.

I gave away most of it to my parents, who reported back favorably.
Print Friendly and PDF

16 comments:

Cat said...

I think the yellow squash that looks like zucchini is usually called either yellow squash or summer squash.

Crockpot Lady said...

thanks, Cat!

a kelly said...

Another great post!
I like this with cheese on top: mozzarella or parmesan.

Damsel said...

AAck! For some reason, your blog stopped coming up in my google reader. I visited one day and it was blank - - apparently it didn't load right for me or something -- so I thought you had quit! I was SO upset b/c I had gotten so many recipes from you....

And now I'm so HAPPY because you're back! (Or, at least, I've found you again. Or something.)

I'm also STRESSED -- in a good way -- because I have some MAJOR catching up to do! Yay!

CraftTeaLady said...

I have to say that the idea of putting into the crock and making it a stew doesn't seem appealing to me, but I dont' like my squash gooey in any way. I made Ratatouille tonight and have made it 4-6x in the past month... but I BBQ my veggies and use a recipe that Emeril used. We love it! Its on my blog.... um, from a week or so ago w/ the photo of the rat. :)

barrellfullofmonkeys said...

I like to call that yellow squash thing yellowcchini :)

Kathy D.

Brenda said...

I made this tonight it was soooo good!! I added 4 frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs and it turned out like the best ever chicken veggie soup so good my husband is even requesting I make it again! Thanks!!

Kat said...

Hi. I'm wondering what a good substitue for eggplant is? I've tried it and can't bring myself to eat it, despite it's lovely color.

Wiola said...

I liked the stew a lot, but next time I wouldn't add any water. It turned into soup, but it was still very tasty.

Ruby said...

I love Ratatouille. It is especially fab. when you have fresh tomatoes. I generally use Italian seasoning mix I use instead:
1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme

As for Kat's question - leave out the eggplant if you don't like it. This is a veggie stew so add what you like.

Rebecca said...

By the way, I cooked this recipe a few days ago, and it was quite good (I've never had ratatouille before). And just because of that adorable movie I had to let one of my girl rats sleep on my shoulder when I was pulling the ingredients together. :P

The McFall's said...

I tried this with grilled polenta and goat cheese on top and it was amazing

Cene' said...

Ok, this seems like soup not ratatouille, but I love me some veggies, heres another version, place tinfoil over cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, pit sliced eggplant (in rounds 1/4 or skinnier) and sliced peppers, shrooms, onions and drizzle more oil, sprinkle very well with seasons and broil 10 minutes, toss some canned diced tomatoe over or rotell and the cover with tinfoil and bake 20-30 minutes at 300* and serve with mozzarela cheese or parmesian....yum and thank you for the wonderful recipes

Cene' said...

oh and yellow squash is summer squash

Student Mommy said...

Hahahahahaha - aren't kids the darndest things?!

Mary Mary said...

I made this the other day and it was fantastic. I am definitely a lover of your blog. Thanks!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I will try my hardest to answer questions as they come up, but if your question gets buried, you may try me on twitter or facebook.

Due to a CRAZY amount of spam, anonymous comments are no longer allowed. Please use one of the free account services listed.

Happy Slow Cooking!

 
You are using Internet Explorer 6 which is unable to render this web site properly or display the drop-down elements in the main menu. Please upgrade your browser to the latest version of Internet Explorer or try installing Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox instead.