Stuffed Artichoke CrockPot Recipe






Day 41.

I'm participating in SupaFine's CrockPot Challenge today. And I just noticed that the tagline on her graphic is "slow and low, that's the tempo," which is absolutely hysterical and wonderful all at the same time.
***Supafine posted Chicken Marsala, yum!***

Thanks to a suggestion from Penguin--who doesn't appear to have a blog-- I made stuffed artichokes. Penguin left the recipe in the comment section of my roasted vegetables post when I suggested that perhaps artichokes would be the only vegetable not crockpot-friendly. I am *thrilled* that she suggested the stuffing technique, because it's something I've never tried and I'm so happy to have a new way to eat artichokes. We usually boil or steam them and dip them into mayonnaise. Not the healthiest---but the kids eat a whole one each that way and that keeps me happy.


The Ingredients:

--2 large artichokes
--1 T olive oil
--1/3 cup parmesan cheese
--1/4 cup bread crumbs (my totally awesome mom food processed a loaf of rice bread for us that I keep in the freezer)
--juice from 1 lemon



The Directions:

--chop up the stem from the artichokes.

carefully.


--mix chopped up stem with the other ingredients in a small bowl. Mixture should be moist and gooey.
--using a knife, cut the very top of each artichoke off
--with kitchen shears, cut off the pointy leaf tips
--shove breading mixture inside of artichoke


put into crockpot stoneware and add 1/2 cup of water to the bottom.
close up and cook on high for 2-4 hours or low for 4-5. These took 4 hours on high.



The Verdict:

These were tasty, but would have been A LOT better if it was artichoke season. The 'chokes we bought were the end of the line and were tough and bitter. The filling was delicious and the tenderness was spot-on. I'm excited for next season!


Thank you penguin!


Go see supafine and find the other crockpot challenge people!

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at February 10, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Yummy!! Never thought of making these in the crockpot, ever. I'm tempted to try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/10/2008

    Oh how cool! My beloved makes stuffed artichokes religiously when they're in season. He's a master at it, actually. I think it's an Italian thing because I never heard of it with my hillbilly - slash - midwestern upbringing.

    I'm so excited to tell him that it can be done in the CP with less effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watch the knives there Steph :)! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving checking in every day!

    Sorry about your finger. If it makes you feel better, I sewed through my finger a couple months ago. With a needle. Attached to my sewing machine.

    The things we do for our craft...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ack, kate! that sounds really painful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look great! Even better than when I make them.

    Glad you tried them out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you scoop out the choke and stuff the center? That"s how we make them. It's a fav here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Italian Grandmother made these all the time and she put in chunks of romano cheese and pancetta ( I use bacon) YUM! She always cooke dthem on the stove top with a little water in the bottom- OH MY I think I can taste them now and I may have to make them tomorrow for New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2/02/2009

    Those look really good! Myy favorite vegetables are the ones that start with "a," so I eat artichokes whenever I can get away with it. I usually eat them with melted margarine or vegenaise. I'm currently living in a kitchen-less dorm, so my crock pot is my only cooking appliance. I "steam" the artichokes in the crockpot in a inch or two of water with a lemon squeezed in. It works really well, and I never have to worry about it boiling dry (which happens pretty much every time I try to do it on the stove!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found your Blog recently and tried the stuffed artichoke recipe last night. I liked it so much I am making it again today. I added red pepper flakes, powdered garlic, and crumbled bacon to the bread crumbs. Today I added chicken broth and a little wine wine to the PC! Can't wait till dinner time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds great. Articokes are also just great with a light dip of olive oil, lemon&tamari(add your own seasoning herbs & a little of the articoke water.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made this with a GF Sweet Potato Cornbread and rice parnesan stuffing. My family really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. making these tonight! I'll post about it on my blog. And I've linked to you on my Eats page. You have really helped our family so much! Thank you =)

    http://www.homemadejack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Try scooping out the choke (in the middle) and stuffing with bread crumbs, fontina, diced fennel and pancetta tossed with garlic and olive oil and instead of water use wine and chicken broth. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I make my stuffed artichokes with garlic and parsley, bread and olive oil and LOTS of romano or parm cheese :) yummmmm

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous5/27/2012

    Great idea! My husband's Italian grandmother made them on the stove, but used chicken broth for the liquid and stuffed a garlic clove in the middle of the artichoke before stuffing. I'll have to try that in the crockpot now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. First, please let me say that I LOVE your site! I just came across it tonight and I've been on for a couple hours, perusing and pinning to my heart's content :)
    I've loved Artichokes since I was a kid (I also liked tofu for breakfast so ... yeah... not your normal fam) and I noticed your comment about dipping the artichokes in mayo. I'm interested to try that! I wanted to share our favorite dip though it's certainly nothing special and barely any healthier. My family has always melted salt-free butter and then added lemon juice to taste. I steam my artichokes, plain, in my crockpot all the time, now, and our munchkins love getting some leaves and half a heart as the veggie with their lemon-herb chicken (I can't wait to try your lemon-herb chicken recipe!).
    Thanks for all your work on this site and in the kitchen, it's MUCH appreciated!

    ReplyDelete