CrockPot Sweet Potato Soup Recipe


Day 51.

The first time I made this, I only used a cup of broth and it had the consistency of applesauce. I liked it, but it was a bit weird with only one cup, so now I use 2.

I had NO idea what I was going to cook on Sunday. I didn't have anything planned, and Adam had taken the kids out for a while and I had the house to myself. I went for a long run and showered alone--a luxury I do not get often.

There was no way I was going to go to the store.

I dug through the fridge and freezer and ecstatically discovered a neglected bag of frozen chicken broth. The fridge revealed 3 sweet potatoes that needed attention and we still had a bit of cream leftover from the crème brulee and the fish chowder. The pantry held a few cans of mangoes.


So I put them all together.


The Ingredients:
--3 sweet potatoes
--2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
--1 can sliced mangoes
--pinch of allspice (or a pinch each of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves)
--1/2 cup heavy cream (to be added after cooking)





The Directions:

--peel and cube sweet potato

--put into crockpot, add broth and entire can of mangoes

--stir in spices


cover and cook on high for 4 hours, low for 8 or until potatoes are tender



It will look weird. Really weird.


Use a hand blender to pulverize the potatoes and mangoes


When fully blended, stir in the heavy cream. Add more if you feel it needs more liquid.


Cover and cook on high another 15-20 minutes, or until heated through fully.

The Verdict:

very, very yummy!!!


I wish I had a sprig of mint leaves or something ala-Food-Network so it would have been better plated--it was really quite good. I also wish that it was orange like the stuff in the can, and not pale yellow.
I had another bowl for lunch and the potatoes sucked up more of the moisture so they turned into more of a whipped potato consistency. It was still very good, but could no longer be considered a soup.
It freaks me out how sweet sweet potatoes can be! It seriously tasted like I dumped in a whole cup of sugar.

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at February 20, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Oh neat, I love how you put in the mangoes!!

    Rachael Ray would call this stoup since it's thicker than soup and not quite a stew ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stoup! I needed that word in my vocabulary.
    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2/20/2008

    I swear you are my idol! A pantry with canned mangos? Please take a picture of your pantry, I gotta know what else is in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So do you just put in your frozen broth without thawing? I know I would, but I want to know your method.
    FYI, I made chix broth on Monday just like you; the kids were disappointed when they found out the good smelling stuff in the crock pot was NOT their dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi lolo, we do usually have canned mangoes--the kids adore them and Trader Joe's sells them on the cheap. My pantry is a disaster right now! I'll post a picture one of these days, though...

    stephanie c., yup. I put it in frozen solid. You do need to run the ziplock under some hot water to loosen it up a bit from the sides of the bag, and then I used poultry shears to cut the bag away from the blob.

    can you send me some of your broth? I'm all out. ;-)

    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't mean to say most. They all look de-lish! I didn't know what I was saying!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. no! that's not true!~you said the exact perfect thing.
    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog and I am LOVING it!!! I LOVE my crockpot and yet don't use it as often as I should/could. Your inspiration- and your recipes!!!- will encourage me to do so more often. THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome blog! I can't wait to try some of your recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say kudos to you on your creativity. I love your site and can't wait to see all the yummy posts you make. I'll be back often!Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmmm ... sweet potato soup! I love the thick kind. This looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there, new here, came across this (and many more recipes I'm wanting to try). I keep running into the same problem, I'm lactose intolerant and am also newly diagnosed with IBS...and haven't quite got the taste buds down for soy. And you don't mention in this recipe if/what I can substitute in place of the cream. As well as in other recipes in place of butter. Any advice? I love sweet potatoes, and I'd love to try this! Thanks in advance for any advice you're willing to share!! I love what you've done for everyone who loves their crock pot!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Deb,
    I would think that using some soy milk or yogurt in lieu of the cream would work just fine.
    As for butter, I think it would depend on what recipe you're referring to. In baking, you can usually use applesauce, and in savory dishes, you can probably omit or substitute olive oil.
    xoxo steph

    ReplyDelete
  14. while the sweet potatoes might be truly sweet, most of the sweetness in this soup would be from the mangoes. there's a similar recipe from south india that uses mango puree (which you created by blenderizing all) and buttermilk with some spices. it's mild but beloved by all who have eaten it.
    good going!
    jd in st louis

    ReplyDelete
  15. Umm... what happens if I add the heavy cream at the beginning by accident... I did that! It's cooking at home right now... I'm at work... what will happen?!?!? Is dinner ruined? :-(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Deb,

    I don't like the taste of soy either, so I use almond milk. I'm not sure how it subs in for cream, but I'll see! Also, I use coconut oil for frying instead of butter.

    How big is your can of mangoes? I have frozen ones and just wondering how many to use. Also, how big are your potatoes? I just got some and they are giants!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Stephanie,

    Could you please share how many mL the can of mangoes was? I have frozen mango that I would like to use.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jeff, it looks like the can was 15 ounces. Google says that is approx 444 ml. I hope this helps! You will probably need to add a bit of apple juice or more broth to thin to the desired soup consistency to make up for the liquid. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete