CrockPot Peanut Butter Brownies Recipe


Day 48.

Even the name sounds decadent, huh? I got the idea from Cynthia's post about her childhood cafeteria's peanut butter brownies.

I haven't ever had peanut butter brownies before, and my elementary school cafeteria most certainly served nothing remotely similar.


I followed her recipe with only a few adjustments to suit our dietary whims and needs and baked them in the crockpot instead of an oven.


These were moist and delicious and lasted only a few hours in our house.



The Ingredients:

--5 T butter
--1/2 cup granulated sugar
--2 eggs
--1 t vanilla
--1/2 cup flour (I used Pamela's)
--1 cup natural peanut butter
--1/4 t baking powder (omit if using Pamela's)
--1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
--1/2 cup white chocolate chips


The Directions:

--spray the inside of your crock stoneware with cooking spray.
--mix all ingredients in a bowl, dump into stoneware
--prop open the lid of the crockpot with something to let out the steam. I used a chopstick.


--cook on high for 90 minutes to 3 hours.


the brownies are done when the edges start to turn darker, but the center is still light in color. Test with a knife in the center.

I overcooked this batch. I cooked it for 2.75 hours, and although I checked at 2 hours and saw that the edges were turning color, I decided to let it go for a bit longer. That was a mistake.

The edges were too hard and a bit burnt on the bottom. The middle was absolutely perfect and so incredibly tasty that it made up for my blunder.

Thank you, Cynthia, for such a delicious treat!

~~~~~~~~~


Edited 2-21-08 to add:



I just discovered a gluten-free tea time snack roundup! Yay!




Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at February 17, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Glad you enjoyed the brownies! How cool is it that you can cook them in the crock pot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am seriously getting addicted to this website and my crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For someone who's PMSing, those look incredibly good!! It still amazes me what you can make in the crockpot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh
    My
    Heck.

    This combines three of my favoritest things in the whole entire world.

    Chocolate, peanut butter, and brownies.

    Come on Steph, don't you know I'm dieting here?!??!???

    PS, I'm still eating my navajo beef stew a la crock pot and I think it tastes better every day. Do you ever make something for the specific purpose of eating it/serving it a day or two later? Lotsa things I make are like this, particularly my enchiladas, and any kind of soup. And lasagna.

    DIETING, I tell you, DIETING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. seriously...you're killing me here with all the desserts...these look awesome and so does the tortilla soup! I might have to get another crockpot so I can make more than one thing at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. family cook, thank you!

    cynthia, they were excellent--thank you so much for posting the recipe!

    mamajude, the first part is admitting your problem. ;-)

    cs, lol!

    amie, I know. they were beckoning to me though.

    amy, if you do get another one, let me know what you get!

    xoxo
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy...I am definitely going to have to try that! I cannot believe how many things you can cook in a crockpot! I am going to the store to get chocolate chips tomorrow...lol!
    I think I am addicted to your blog..who knew crockpots were for more than chili?
    Blessings!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband will thank you for this recipe..he doesn't like chocolate. I know, I know, how could I marry such a guy? He didn't tell me about this until he had hooked me and reeled me in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look absolutely delicious !! I am a peanut butter freak. I just love your recipes !

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so good. Where are you getting your recipes from?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2/28/2008

    My girlfriend and i saw this and immediately went to the grocery store. I'm making it right now and it smells DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow those look great- I knew you could bake in a crockpot but who knew it would be something so scrumptious!
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  13. what size crock did you use for this? I currently only have a 6qt so i'm wondering if i should double the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lea,

    I used my 6qt for this! they cooked awfully quick---keep an eye on it.

    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in trouble now - chocolate & peanut butter - yum.

    Since I was diagnosed a diabetic peanut butter cups were no longer allowed to me. However, if I use Splenda instead of sugar and sugar-free chocolate chips (my bulk food store has them) I'm going to indulge myself.

    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous3/05/2011

    I just got done making these this morning - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've just finished making this but something must have gone wrong because it's drenched in oil :-( The mixture was very greasy to begin with, so much so that I put double the amount of flour in. I was hoping it would fix itself during cooking but it hasn't. What could have been the problem? My last hope is that when it cools it will look a bit dryier!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm making these right now with peanut butter chips instead of white - the batter was so tasty that I could have eaten the whole bowlful raw!!!
    Can't wait until dessert tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  19. For me, this recipe was a total flop! :( Just like a previous comment stated, it was super greasy. I wonder where it went wrong...

    ReplyDelete