CrockPot Rice Krispies Treat Recipe


Day 26.
Okay, not technically Rice Krispies treats due to the malted barley flavoring Rice Krispies seems to believe it needs, but Barbara's Organic Gluten-Free Brown Rice Crisp Marshmallow Treats didn't sound quite as good to me.
and for all intensive purposes, these are most totally Rice Krispies Treats.

made







wait for it....
















IN THE CROCKPOT!


and they were terribly easy and didn't encompass standing over the stove telling young children to stand back so they aren't scalded with high fructose corn syrup gooeyness.


Instead, they were plopped together and left to melt unattended while dinner dishes were cleaned, bath was had and books were read.


The Ingredients:


the stuff they tell you to use to make Rice Krispies treats.

duh.


The Directions.

--put butter in crockpot
--cover with the marshmallows
--cover with cereal
--swat children's hands as they try to dig for marshmallows
--cook on high for 1 hour, stir all ingredients well.
--If it doesn't look done, cook for another 20-30 minutes.
--Spread into a prepared 9 x 11 pan or pyrex.

--Use Reynold's Release to press down so the marshmallows don't stick to your fingers or to a spatula. The real recipe says to use waxed paper, but I have had the wax paper stick miserably to my treats before providing much emotional and psychological distress.

--cut into squares when fully cooled.

or eat hot right out of the pan while watching reruns of The Office.

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at January 26, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Where do you come up with these ideas??!! I love :-)

    Your kids must be so glad you're doing the year of crockpotting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are such a bad influence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhh, how awesome...i love how creative you've been with your recipes! we'll be making these today...prolly with cocoa krispies!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well who woulda thunk it, rice krispie treats in the crock pot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we're going to try these with the new chocolate-vanilla rice krispies. That's just as good as gluten-free organic, right?

    You are so brilliant to think of this! Can you find a way for my crockpot to clean my house?

    ReplyDelete
  6. you rock!
    thanks for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you, thank you, thank you. who would've thunk that a crockpot could really revolutionize your life-okay I never did, but man, it's so easy. so, thanks for posting great recipies that don't require cream of something or other and that my kids (and I) are loving. can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I second Jennifer P's comment! Can you come up with a way for our Crockpot's to clean house? LOL

    ohhhh....btw.....try Fruity Pebble Krispy Treats.... YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I'm totally late--someone just pointed me to this blog, and I'm sitting here drooling...

    Anyway, I have a tip. You can use wax paper to push down your krispies treats if you spray it with cooking spray first.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah! great idea, Sarah!!

    I need to make these again. they rocked.
    -steph

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7/15/2008

    I am a crispie flunky! I cannot get these to work in my crock! First time the crock cracked and the second.. I don't want to talk about it. I had such high hopes and when I peeked under the lid (I was good no peeking earlier) the marshmallows had gone to almost water-like consistency and had taunted the crispies into it's net! They came out so gummy :( Ok, so I talked! Phew I feel better. A hint I learned about the sticky gooeyness is to dip ones fingers, ummm... I mean scraping/mixing utensil in warm water and then into the mix. No sticky (at least in my experience). Also, in light of my crock failure... I have learned the ADD method of stovetop crispies! 1Tbl butter, 12 marshmallows (big ones) and 1/4tsp. vanilla - heat on lowish! Stir stir stir... melts so fast - toss in crispies to your liking... measuring cups - don't need no stinkin' measuring cups - we all know how much crispie to marshmallow ratio we like! Use the wet spatula trick while scraping every bit of yummie goodness onto a plate (never last long enough for anything more special like cutting squares and such!) - Start to finish t- minus - 10 min! Whoo hoo! I know this goes against all things crock pot but if there were any others in my shoes... here you go!
    -Cheers!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I can't wait to try this out! It looks so yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is awesome. I just made a batch and it was so quick and easy. I even was able to get things done around the house and also be on line while it was melting. I am going to make these from now on in the crockpot. Thank you so much for sharing. My kids will love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just made these and I'm trying not to snitch some while they're still hot!
    If you're like me and lack Reynolds Release or Waxed paper, the shiny side of a silicone pan liner works great! Same with using a silicone spatula- none stuck to it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous6/25/2009

    Sounds interesting, although making them doesn't take very long the traditional way. Not really sure the benefit of using a crock pot since you have to mix it all up anyway, LOL.

    Also, I feel compelled to point out an error in your writing: The phrase is not "for all intensive purposes", it's "for all intents and purposes."

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are a flippin' genious!!! Our 4 year old has had a pretty bad cold the last couple days and she's been pretty miserable. Right now I'm imagining the sparkle coming back to her eyes when she comes out of the bath all squeaky clean and is handed a warm, gooey rice krispy treat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read one of the comments and she said her marshmallows were watery and the whole thing was a gummy mess. Are you supposed to cover the crock while heating?
    Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Carolyn,

    I did cover when I made these, although I poked, prodded, and stirred quite a bit, which releases steam and moisture. If you find that your cooker is trapping in tons of steam, you can most certainly vent the lid with a chopstick or wooden spoon.

    xoxo steph

    ReplyDelete
  19. We finally got a BIG crockpot...well, not so I could make these, but they're the first thing I've tried in it.

    This worked great!--barring a few bits of cereal that got a little too toasted. Otherwise, no problems--and I HATE making these squares in a pot or in the microwave. My marshmallows usually turn into cement before I can get the cereal stirred in, or we have some other disaster.

    Yay Crockpot!

    ReplyDelete
  20. jennifer3/04/2010

    Tried this last night and it was a big hit. In fact, had to make two batches because hubby ate most of the first.I am so glad that you came up with this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are awesome! I'm going to link back here to yours when I post my version of them on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is great, will try soon

    ReplyDelete
  23. And Hooray!!!! Rice Krispies now comes in gluten-free!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. If you wet your hands before smashing them into a pan, they won't stick. :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry, got to correct you...this mistake is a pet peeve. It's not "intensive purposes," the phrase is "for all intents and purposes."

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your blog, but I gotta say, making rice krispy treats in the microwave is so easy, I cant imagine having to wait that long for them in the crock pot!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm wondering how this would work with trix cereal?? My kiddos prefer them over the rice crispies.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm trying these today! I had seen this recipe a whole ago and hadn't given it a try. I have no idea why, they look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  29. marywagner6/25/2012

    Your sentence should read, "for all intents and purposes," not "for all intensive purposes."

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ceanothus7/28/2012

    I melt some semi-sweet chocolate in with the marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  31. who cares about intents and purposes?! the woman is a genius! rice krispies in a crock pot? friggen awesome

    ReplyDelete
  32. I don't know...I think she was right the way she used "intensive purposes" My daughter and I were pretty intense and purposed in eating this. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. So a tip in pressing down the cereal... I use the buttery paper wrapping from the butter used in the recipe... Already greased to decrease sticking :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Genious! Made this today and it was great.

    ReplyDelete