CrockPot Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Curry and Honey


Day 276.

I made an interesting soup yesterday. The base was cauliflower and broth, and it had both curry and honey---two flavors I have not had together before. I liked it. I got the recipe directly from Sunday Nite Dinner. Chuck and Hungry Bear made it last year, and I'm so glad that I bookmarked it to try in the crockpot.

The Ingredients.
adapted from Sunday Nite Dinner

--1 head cauliflower
--3 T olive oil
--1 tsp kosher salt
--1/2 tsp black pepper
--2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
--2 cups water
--1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (1/4 was enough for me)
--1 yellow onion, chopped in chunks
--2 1/2 tsp curry
--honey

The Directions.

Cut the cauliflower into florets, toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower has begun to brown and turn crispy. You can also roast in the crockpot.

While the cauliflower is roasting, plug in your crockpot and turn to high. Use a 4 quart or larger size. Add the chicken broth and water. Chop the onion and add it along with the cayenne pepper and curry powder.

When the vegetables are finished, add them to the broth.

Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or on high for 3-4. This is finished when the onion and cauliflower are fully tender.

Carefully use an immersible blender to blend the cauliflower and onion. If you are going to use a traditional blender, go slow and blend small batches at a time.

Drizzle honey over the top before serving.

The Verdict.

I could not get the kids anywhere near this. They had bean burritos on brown rice tortillas.

It took Adam a few bites to get used to, but then he liked it. I found the flavor to be mysterious. It was not like anything I had ever had before. This would be fun to serve at a fancy dinner, where guests can squeeze on their own honey. I really like how rich and velvety it tastes without a drop of cream. I have no idea how Chuck and Hungry Bear got the picture they did at Sunday Nite Dinner----my honey sunk right away.

Do you love this article?

Please share it with your friends!


Posted by: Stephanie O'Dea | A Year of Slow Cooking at October 02, 2008

Sign up for the A Year of Slow Cooking newsletter and get the Top Ten Reader Favorite Recipes sent directly to your inbox!

What they say about this article

  1. Anonymous10/02/2008

    This sounds really interesting. I think the reason that the honey in their picture didn't sink in is that they used something other than honey for the pic. It looks more like mustard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10/02/2008

    The soup was cold so the hiney stayed on top in stead of sinking right away :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a strange recipe...I might have to try it, although, I know no one in my family would eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have over 100 blogs in my reader and you are one of the only 3 cooking ones! You are so much fun to read that even if I never, ever, slow cooked I'd still come over and read you. Thanks for sharing your slice of life:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds totally yummy. I think a little mango chutney would be nice with it too...mmmmm.

    You are the inspiration for my entry today. You have made me brave!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cauliflower, this sounds really interesting. Hope to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok I never comment but I always read your blog! Here's my question, has this been expensive to do? I'm on a tight budget and that is my first thought everytime I read your blog! I love your blog though! It makes me want to use my crockpot more!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10/02/2008

    This sounds really interesting! I might try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok I never comment but I always read your blog! Here's my question, has this been expensive to do? I'm on a tight budget and that is my first thought everytime I read your blog! I love your blog though! It makes me want to use my crockpot more!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jordan,

    yes. this year has been expensive. Normally we save money by crockpot cooking because I put on a big pot of something that know we all like, and then we pick at it for quite a few days in a row. I usually like only cooking 3 times a week, if I can get away with it.

    This year has taken on a life of it's own. :-)
    the ad revenue helps a lot.

    xox
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10/02/2008

    I bought the Prevention mini-crock-pot cookbook and tried the sweet potato risotto...it was a hit with my kids!!! They had three helpings...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10/02/2008

    Cauliflower :gag:

    I thought of you when I saw the latest hack up at Parent Hacks.

    http://www.parenthacks.com/2008/10/stir-frozen-veg.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds really good....will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you have a gluten allergy? I am thrilled to find your blog with all these recipes - toward the end of the year!! ;) I'm allergic to gluten and all things wheat flour, so this is a great find! Unfortunately, it's more expensive. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a fascinating combination of flavors I never would have tried before! We love a little adventurous food, so I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10/02/2008

    we are all fascinated about the 'floating' honey! lol- I think it stayed on the top because the honey was cold and it was easy to swirl. Probably one of those catsup/mustard plastic squeeze bottles was used to make a thicker stream.

    This is a perfect dish for halloween night! gotta try it! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just wanted to say hello...I just discovered you today, how have I been missing out??? I love my crockpot, too, and I made a resolution for once a week (you probably have heard that a lot). I would say that the smell in the house, the comfort, the excitement to open the lid...all of these things make me a little nuts about my cropckpot too. So, Hey, Sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous10/03/2008

    I honestly don't know how their honey didn't sink. Maybe their soup was really thick? But when I ask for soup, I would prefer some movement... like most liquids. haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous10/06/2008

    I made this soup last night per the request of my husband.....with much hesitation. I usually hate cauliflower and would normally never pick something like this to make, but this soup is amazing. I love it! We just had a baby and crockpotting is a nice way to make an easy meal that we can eat for quick lunches for days! My husband is also allergic to gluten, so I frequent your blog and love the gluten free options. (the bread in the crock is perfect! What a find!). Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So I was thinking about the honey falling issue. Perhaps they warmed their honey until it was runny? This sounds wonderful. I may try this and try warming the honey. If it works I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous10/19/2008

    We had this for dinner tonight. It was a hit (but then, my kids are all used to cauliflower curries). I added the curry powder while I was sauteing the onions, and put in a few drops of hot sauce at the end (I don't have cayenne).
    I warmed my honey--because it looked sort of hard, and I just stood it at the back of the stove where it was warm. My honey floated and looked exactly like the other pic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous10/21/2008

    I made this on Sunday and loved it! It made for an easy Sunday dinner. I did serve it with a side of stuffed mushrooms to make it a bit more substantial. I warmed up the honey and it floated fine. Yay! I'll be making it again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made this soup last night and my Hubby and I loved it!! I thought I only used a 1/4 of a tsp., but it was pretty spicy. The honey was really good with the curry and heat. I'm taking this to my mama's house today for lunch to see what she thinks.

    I just found your blog and it's FABULOUS!!! I can't wait to start trying your recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I tried this recipe, via the stove top.. simply to 'save time' in the evening... ha. anyway, i really enjoyed it. i love love love curry. my hubby took all the leftovers for lunch today~ THanks for lots of inspiration.
    PS. to add meat to the meal I baked 4 chicken thighs simply with olive oil and paprika.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am going to try this tonight. I wonder if it would work as a chunky soup (sans the blender)?

    I took your breakfast casserole to a teachers' breakfast at my children's school this morning, so easy to transport the crock pot. I hope it's a hit.

    Great site! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just to follow up, I made this and I put a bit too much of the red pepper. But, it was good with honey blended in, and then I added sour cream - just a bit which cooled it down and made the soup more flavorful (since I'm not a big curry powder fan). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous11/09/2009

    I was so pleased that my children did not come home for lunch the day that I made this soup and so my husband and I did not have to share it with them. It was absolutely delicious. I have now tried three other recipes and am anxious to try them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, I was really unsure while it was cooking (we usually eat our cauliflower raw & were unaccustomed to the aroma of roasting cauliflower).

    But it was delicious! Even my 5 year old tried it. (went light on the cayenne). The honey really did the trick! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love roasted cauliflower and curry, and I love pureed cauliflower soup, so I'm sure this roasted cauliflower soup would be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous3/09/2011

    I loved this! so much so, that I was upset that I had halved the recipe. But, secretly, I was glad my son wasn't feeling well enough to have any so that I got all of it! lol.. I made enough for two bowls for me.. I love my immersion blender, but actually didn't even use it on this. I just mashed the cauli up decent and it was fine. also added some turkey kielbasa towards the end. super num!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I made this recipe for dinner tonight. It is so delicious! I roasted the onions along with the cauliflower. I also stirred in 1/2 c. half and half after pureeing it. Thanks for another great recipe! I love that so many of your recipes are Weight Watchers friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I combined this recipe with your creamy risotto one (which I use all the time), and used butternut squash instead of cauliflower. So, it is a curry and honey butternut squash risotto. It was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete